Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat v8 doesn't like Cambria

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have started using Cambria font in all my MS Word 2007 documents. When I try print the documents to pdf using the Acrobat plug-in, I am unable to do. Problem seems to be caused by an incompatibility with Cambria font.

Current version of Acrobat Professional is 8.1.7.

MS Word's "Save As PDF" addon works. Is there a fix to the Acrobat plug-in I can use?

Interestingly, I don't have any problems with Cambria font and Excel 2007 printing to pdf.

Rael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had a problem. You do not indicate what the problem is, but it is likely that you are not embedding the font. Check your job settings and be sure the Cambria is set to embed. You can also check a PDF and see if the font is getting embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply get a popup dialog:

---------------------------
Acrobat PDFMaker
Adobe PDF printer failed to create the PDF file.
OK  

I have attached an example document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the error:

Acrobat PDFMaker
Adobe PDF printer failed to create the PDF file.
OK  

Have attached an offending file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the error I get when I try print using the File -> Print option

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
Cambria not found, using Courier.
%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: show ]%%

Stack:
( )

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to see if I can replicate the problem on my VISTA machine with WORD 2007 and Acrobat 8.1.7. I have not had a problem with WORD there, but then it may be some of your setup. Knowing what job settings you are using would help. You can also select to produce the PDF in the job settings even if the font is not found. It may be that the font is not properly registered in Distiller (though the create PDF option in WORD 2007 works differently that previous versions apparently, but I am not sure if that started with AA9 or AA8). You can check the font list in Distiller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was using the default distiller settings. Cambria is listed there as a font. I have fiddled with some of the Font settings in distiller, saved the modified option file and selected to use the modified option file in the Adobe PDF printer settings. All without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the docx file through WORD 2007 and AA8. I had no problem. I am not sure what you mean by default. I will go back and try it with the standard setting and see what happens. Did you use the Adobe PDF printer or the PDF Maker in WORD? If the latter, you need to check the PDF Maker preference to see what job settings you did use. I am not sure how that default is set.

I went back and used both the printer and PDF Maker with the standard and smallest size settings (I do not recommend either in general). In all cases the Cambria font was embedded with no problem. Apparently you have an issue with your Cambria on your system. I do not remember the system you have, but I am running VISTA for the test with AA8. It may be that the version of Cambria that you have on your system is not compatible with the font you are using in WORD. There is more to the name of a font and it may be that you have an incompatible version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2009 Nov 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

By 'default', I mean that I did not amend any of the settings when I installed the software. It has installed with whatever settings Adobe deems to be the standard installation settings. I am running Windows 7 with Office 2007. All the latest patches and service packs. I have also not installed any software that would logically mess with the fonts - I don't have any other desktop publishing, graphic or similar software installed. But perhaps something seemingly random has messed with the fonts.

Anyway, I have resigned myself to the problem continuing. So will either upgrade to Acrobat 9 (unlikely) or continue with other solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2009 Nov 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What job settings file are you using in Acrobat. This is listed in the properties of the printer when using the printer and under the preferences for create PDF when using PDF Maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here. I posted that also two month ago. It seems Adobe wants to sell newer releases or are they sleeping? At least their behaviour is disappointing whatever reasons they have.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2257354#2257354

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem.

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

%%[Page: 1]%%

%%[Page: 2]%%

%%[Page: 3]%%

%%[Page: 4]%%

%%[Page: 5]%%

%%[Page: 6]%%

%%[Page: 7]%%

Cambria not found, using Courier.

%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: xshow ]%%

Stack:

[85 0]

(  )

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

I was able to resolve it by changing a one of the Adobe PDF printer settings.  When you are in the print dialog, and you have selected the appropriate PDF printer, select "Properties."  In the dialog box, there should be a tab titled "Adobe PDF Settings," and it should look like the below image.  You need to un-check "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts."  I'm going to bet you created this document using XP or Vista, then upgraded to Windows 7.  I'll go further to guess the Cambria font somehow gets changed between XP/Vista and Win7.  In any case, I had a document I created using Word 2007 in Vista that I could print o a PDF.  Then, after upgrading to the RC version of Win7, I couldn't print the document to a PDF anymore.  Un-checking the box I mentioned here seems to fix the issue.  I'll reply back if I ever find a situation where this "fix" does not work.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, this Workaround works for me! Thx

At least this solves all my PDF related problems with Office 2007 and W7.

Only the IE8 (32bit at least) crash when printing a PDF of a Webpage over Page Preview left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great fix... thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.Smith -

Thanks.  I had the exact same problem after upgrading my Vista to Windows 7 and it was driving me nuts!  I had changed so many Distiller settings that I couldn't keep things straight. I could make PDFs from Excel and PowerPoint - just not Word.  I hope things 'straighten out' in Acrobat 9 - I'd hate to have this 'workaround' be the 'long-term' solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a couple of months old, but I was having the same issue. I also did the fix listed above, but went in the settings and manually selected to ALWAYS embed Cambria fonts. I am using Windows 7 with Acrobat Pro 8. Under devices and printers I went to the Adobe PDF printer, right clicked and selected Printer Properties. Then I clicked Preferences. Under default settings I chose to Edit (This is under Adobe PDF Settings). I then chose font and chose to Always Embed cambria fonts by highlighting them and clicking Add. I also saved these settings to use just in case I ever forgot how to do this fix. Hope that helps anyone else that might have still been frustrated. I can now right click on my Word docs and choose to convert again. Woohoo!

Untitled.gif

And P Smith, as to the IE crash with Adobe. I fixed that by changing my associations to my 64 bit Programs folder instead of the one in the regular Programs folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, you should always embed fonts in your pdf files. You never know what fonts other viewers may or may not have.

Part of the problem is Abobe's confusing user interface. There is a checklist with 5 items, three of which are positives and two of which are negatives. Good user inteface design dictates that grouped checklists should all be all positive or all negative, not a mix.

Wouldn't it be easier if the checklist were:

adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2010 Jul 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem (Win 7 64-bit) and none of these solutions works for me.

I've tried unchecking "use system fonts" in the dialog and changing the settings to embed all fonts, as well as telling Distiller to ignore errors and create the PDF anyway and nothing works. Acrobat 8 still complains about Cambria.

This is a huge problem because I have several hundred pages of Word Pro files that need to be PDFed. I haven't had problems with them in the past (I last PDFed them back in December and January), but there's something about the current iteration of Acrobat 8 because I tried just now on another system running XP Pro, Word 2010, and Acrobat 8 and have the same problem. It's not specifically related to Win7 64-bit/Word Pro.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I'm working on rewriting most of a 500 page manual within the next couple or three weeks.

Thanks,

liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2010 Jul 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible fix (or at least a workaround). I researched free pdf creators and chose one of the highest-rated ones to install. I was able to create a PDF without any problems on two computers from files that had caused problems. Now I'm able to use Acrobat 8 to create PDFs from the same files it was choking on before. I'm not sure what was munged, but using a different PDF creator seemed to unmung it. If it's munged again, I'll just use the freebie for PDF creation and Acrobat for editing.

liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "fix" didn't last long. If Acrobat gives this error message, I just use the alternative and get the PDF I need. I may just quit creating PDFs with Acrobat since I am never sure when it's going to work and when it's not. The alternative works every time.

liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plz don't use free softwares available online.. Just visit adobe and choose the right one...

This problem occurs when you use some unprofessional software & link them with adobe...

It might not be a good answer to your question but yes.. I can help you to reach to your answer..

Praveen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pyadav05, other Adobe fanboys, and any Adobe employees reading this:

With the greatest of respect to all of you, the attitude shown to resolving this problem has been pathetic and exceptionally unprofessional. I guess because it doesn't affect too many people there is no "official" solution.

My solution:

Simply use MS Office's SAVE AS PDF feature. It is built into Office 2007 and Office 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rael07,

Couldn't agree with you more about the attitude. I've been using Acrobat 8 and Cambria for quite awhile and things used to work properly. I don't know what has happened, but it's definitely broken now.

Unfortunately, your solution won't work for me since I'm not printing from MS Office most of the time. I'm just relieved that I have a solution, but wonder why third-party free PDF creators work just fine but the "real thing" doesn't. That doesn't exactly speak well for Adobe, and it's not like Cambria is some sort of off-brand, non-standard, uncommon font.

liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree: a reply from Adobe that is other than helpful is very disturbing.  I hope they are not going the way of Microsoft as far as answering the "peons" who use their products with an attitude of disdain or indifference (or both).  It would be very refreshing to know that Adobe actually values their customers' problems and jumps on it to figure out the problem, no matter how "small" the problem seems to them.

I have run into this issue, now that I've upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7.  I am using FrameMaker 8's Save As PDF menu option.  I tried the solutions provided above.  Nothing worked for me.  However, I tried something on a hunch and found a solution.

I had, for some reason lost to me now, saved the Cambria fonts to a separate folder back when I first installed Microsoft Office 2007.  All are .TTF files (with one .TTC file) and all are dated August or September, 2006.  Just now, I copied those files into my Windows/Fonts folder, thereby replacing the current ones.  Voila!  Now Distiller works just fine with no errors.  I've created more than one document and so far, so good.

If I run into any problems (like the issue resurfaces after I reboot), I'll post something again; otherwise, here's to hoping this is the "fix."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines