Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate project always crashes!

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Over and over again, a saved project (Captivate 4 of about 730M ) that I have been working on will no longer open.  When I attempt to open the project up, the program will just think..and think and think...until finally the program will not respond.

In one case, the project just blew up, and there was no record of it EVER being on my computer.  I have had to redo several projects (all using quiz slides).  Sometimes succesfully, sometimes running into the same error.  I defragmented the computer to make sure the file is grouped together because it is a rather large file, but it doesn't help.

I've even moved the file to a newly configured computer, and that doesn't help either.  In my most recent case, I finally got it to open on the new computer, but it still took about 5-10 minutes to open.   I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this.

I am hesitant to begin the project again, because it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the same thing will happen half-way through.  I don't know if the files keep becoming corrupted, if it is my PC, or the software.

Any help, or similar experiences are appreciated!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2009 Oct 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

By default when you save your CP files Adobe Captivate 4 creates a .bak file . Start by seeing if having removed the file suffix .bak from the back up file you can then open this.

Regards - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We had a similar problem with one of the bigger projects. I was unable to find out the cause, but I found a workaround to "heal" the CP. Try creating a new blank project and import all slides and objects from your corrupted one. (File->Import->Slides/Objects) Then you can use the new CP and discard the old one.

It helped in our case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tomas,

Yes, using the Import Slide / Objects feature is one way that you can heal your Adobe Captivate project files. In addition, you can also try manually copying from you orginal project file and pasting them into a new Captivate instance. One of the great advantages of taking this approach is that you copy say five slides at a time, you can very easily work out which slide(s) have become corrupted - typically corrupted slides just wont get pasted into your new file.

Having said that I have also seen instances where objects such as click boxes etc just won't copy from one project file to another. In some cases simply closing CP and reloading it can fix those issues.

Best - Mark

<a href="http://macrofireball.blogspot.com/"><strong>Visit the macrofireball blog</strong></a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas

You probably don't realize it but I think you may have provided your own answer.

Tomas GMC wrote:

Hi,

We had a similar problem with one of the bigger projects...

Project size can be a factor in corruption. Basically, the larger the project grows (both from the overall number of slides aspect and the pixel dimensions) the more likely it becomes to suffer some form of corruption. It all boils down to PC resources.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction from my original post...I am using Captivate 3, not 4.  I could not locate any .bak files.

But my original problem is still going on.  It sounds like for whatever reason, the file has become corrupted.  So my question now is: Why are some projects becoming corrupted...and other not?

Captiv8er, you mentioned the larger the file the higher the chances it will become corrupted.  The problem is happening for me when I use the 'quiz slide' functionality.  I usually use about 10 slides, and provide a few explanation slides after some of the quiz slides.  These projects ARE pretty big.  770 MG.

Is there an ideal size to stay between to help prevent corruption? I've lost 2 projects now...my latest I can open on 1 PC, but can't seem to save any progress.  I am hesitant to start over again if will again become corrupted / or again take the PC 20 minutes to open.

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi SearchU -

With my own personal experience I will only let my projects go to 75 slides, much more than that I start trying to figure out a way to combine slides or split up the project. Another huge way to help on project size is to keep your slide size small. You will see an amazing difference with your file size if you have slides that are 1024x768 compared with slides that are 630x425. Also - do you have audio on these projects? Recording your audio at 64 or 96 kbps and 22 KHz helps too. (Btw: the largest project I have ever made was 139 MB and after it crashed I have been following this rule and I haven't had a problem.) Hope that helps!

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources