• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I scan an image from Photoshop CS4 (or another component?)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Photoshop (used to Corel PhotoPaint where I have a command under "File" to "acquire" an image from an external scanner).

Is there a way to do it in Photoshop or do I look for another app in CS4 for that purpose?

Thanks,
Rob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

file> import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop in and of itself is not scanner software. the only scanning ability Photoshop has is through a 3rd party scanning plugin that comes with your scanner. the plugin will still access the stand alone software.

the problem with using Photoshop to scan is that you are tying up a $1000 application as a UI for a $100 scanner. seems a bit silly. just use the software that came with your scanner and use that.

Now you can keep working in Photoshop while you are scanning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or better yet use VueScan from http://www.hamrick.com.

I have at least two minds about scanning in-program vs. in a dedicated program. Yes, using a separate program frees up Photoshop, but it also introduces the need to save interim image files. Also, some scanner software is simply horrendous. I'm thinking HP and Nikon; Canon isn't nearly as bad, but is far from good. VueScan is much better in many ways (but it may require that the maker's driver be installed, so it's still dependent on the maker), but it's far from perfect. Some have raved about Silverlight, which I haven't used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody answered the question directly. Yes, Photoshop works in the same way as Photopaint. When a scanner is installed, a menu item appears in Photoshop for aquiring images via the scanner.

Whether you use this to scan with or start up the scanner's software outside of PS all depends on the nature of the work. For the odd scan it's quicker to use the PS route. If there's a lot of scanning at regular intervals it's better not to tie up PS during scanning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With an external scanner connected, you can import scanned image via File > Import > WIA Support in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2009 Jul 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too.  I have always scanned through PS using Twain.  But now I have new PS - CS4 and new scanner - Canon pixma MX 330.  When I go to Import, there are no options to scan.  I also don't see anything like WIA support there.

I ended up using the software that came with the scanner but it is very VERY awkward to use.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not SURE my facts are correct plus I use an Epson scanner so this may not be informative to you.  I think WIA is just a Windows program to run a scanner.  However it is very basic with only simple settings.  Not ideal for quality scans.  I've never used it.  If it were an printer, rather than a scanner, for instance, you would not be able to print at best settings for best print.

In the past, (CS1) I did use twain but all it did was bring up my Epson scanner software.  Since PsCS4 I just use Epson scanner software and save in a folder I call SCANS.  I then open from Bridge into Photoshop.

I don't understand when you say the software for your scanner is very awkward.  There is nothing in Photoshop that tells your scanner what settings to use for scanning.  That HAS to be done in your scanner software.  I would think that Canon would have pretty straight-forward software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is awkward because I can NOT use PS.  the software that comes with the scanner is very complicated to use - to find the image and where to save it and all.  When I used to use CS2 and my Twain/epson setup, the image would just pop up on the screen after scanning.  this software does not do that - it is a pain...

I would like to just import through PS if anyone has a clue.  and I am on a Mac.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MartyR707 wrote:

I would like to just import through PS if anyone has a clue.  and I am on a Mac.

thanks

I was about to ask which version of Windows you have till I saw you are on a Mac.

Ask here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_macintosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko:
>you are tying up a $1000 application as a UI for a $100 scanner

I don't understand this. It's like saying "Why would I tie up a 1000 euro application with a 100 euro Wacom pen?"
Would you abort the scan process when you discovered that the application is more expensive than the scanner?

Michael:
>but it also introduces the need to save interim image files

Exactly. When you "pull" an image into PS, it's an image, not a file yet. Just like having opened a New image.

JJ:
>Nobody answered the question directly.

I think Dave did :-P

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most accurate answer comes from (Ping_Zheng).

Thanks mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me a break. I buy a high end program that does not allow me to scan easily. That's junk. I see it as a major programming deficiency. Figure it out. Don't put the burden on the end users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!!  Plus I am still mad at Adobe for discontinuing support for GoLive.  They even took their discussion boards down!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2009 Oct 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MartyR707 wrote:

I am still mad at Adobe for discontinuing support for GoLive.  They even took their discussion boards down!!

What's this then?

http://forums.adobe.com/community/golive/golive_general_discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can scan using Photoshop, if you take the risk of installing the TWAIN plugin.

But so many buggy scanner drivers have been causing crashes for our customers that we moved the TWAIN plugin to an optional install.  We tried for many years to get the scanner vendors to fix the bugs in their drivers, but the number of crashes due to scanner drivers just kept going up.

Do you want crashes, or convenience?

Your scanner comes with stand alone scanning software -- if that crashes, you don't lose the rest of your work in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since PsCS4 I just use scanner software and save in a folder I call SCANS.  I then open, from Bridge, into Photoshop.  On some days, I do dozens of scans.  I don't see how this is a burden.  It actually seems more efficient.

Did you purchase a "high end program" to do photo editing?  If so, Photoshop seems to be a great choice.  Did your scanner not come with software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scanner came with software.  It is just cumbersome to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MartyR707 wrote:

The scanner came with software.  It is just cumbersome to use.

Once you have set a default destination for scanned images they should always got to that folder with no intervention from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - that is a good tip - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, bumped in this thread trying to use my new Canon mp 640 to scan a photo on Office 2003. It seems they've done away with the (Insert from Scanner) just like PS CS4 has done with file acquire twain - I read most of the posts here, some say the new scanner install should create menu on the programmes (all of them??), Adobe employee says they dropped it because of too many crash with it. I, too, come from PS cs2, it was a breeze to acquire a pic into ps cs2 -There may be progress but some is just going backwards. Perhaps for the savies and those who use it every day it's just a matter (and must) of getting use to it. as for the rest of us....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Office 2003 is pretty old. After all these years you are just now discovering this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All these years I have used office 2000 that I found very simple but recently I updated a lot of stuff. WXP to W7 64 bits, Was given an oem copy of office 2003 so installed it and trying to get used to it. CS2 suite to CS4 because I just bought a High Def. camera, well all is out of whack now. an heaps of software won't work anymore. I'm just about to update brain 1942 to brain 2011 I'm not sure it's out but I really need it. Meanwhile you might be able to explain to me how to insert from scanner in Office 2003 as for me under "insert" there's no "from scanner" facility.

Thanx DC9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2010 Sep 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dc9 I thought you'd give me the answer, however to make matter worse I just found out this is office 2007 I'm using! oh what the heck it's only a few year apart:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth! I looked in W7 under 'Devices and Printers" and there were listed some of the printer's multifunctions one was "scanner". from there I was able to start and import from its scanner the import was defaulted to Library/picture and video I think, and as someone said previously I guess it's just a matter to chose an appropriate folder if one does not like this folder.  Still does not solve my problem with Office - ok, yes I can import from that folder too into office! Oh I forgot, for those who don't know, pictures from any folder can be dragged into PS it easier to import once that particular folder is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines