Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 on MAC OSX Snow Leopard - importing PSD file into AE - BIZARRE

Nov 1, 2009 2:57 AM

I have a .psd file with layers (5).  I am in AE...import file...tell it the file name  foo.psd...FORMAT=Photoshop...AS COMPOSITION...checked PHTOSHOP SEQUENCE...hit OK...comes in without layers.

I thought that was how to get the layers info AE.  What am I doing wrong...OR what do I need to do?

Thanks, --bill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2009 7:05 AM   in reply to bdaul

PSD as a Comp will give you layers. You can choose cropped layers to center the anchor point on each layer.

PSD as footage with Photoshop Sequence is looking for a sequence of PSD files like frames. You get no layer options with this option.

PSD as footage should give you a popup where you can choose either Merged Layers or pick a specific layer to import. If you want to bring in a Photoshop file with all of it's layers choose Photoshop as a Composition or Photoshop as a Composition - Cropped Layers.

If that doesn't work try trashing your prefs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 7:20 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

PSD as footage with Photoshop Sequence is looking for a sequence of PSD files like frames. You get no layer options with this option.

AE can quite well detect layering in PSDs, as long as all the layers share the same order and naming in each file. The layers will then become sequences. The import type must be set back to Composition on the secondary panel, though, and it doesn't work with the Live 3D option. The latter will always flatten everything.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2009 8:01 AM   in reply to Mylenium

If the problem that you're having is that the PSD item is imported as a single flattened footage item and not as a composition with separate layers, see this entry in the FAQ list:

"Why won't After Effects import my PSD file as a composition but flattens it?"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points