Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Optional Vertical Space Character

Nov 6, 2009 4:15 AM

Paragraphs can have a "space before" and "space after" attribute, as you probably know. The nice thing about this is that if the paragraph is at the top of the page, the space before disappears.

I would like to have a vertical space character that does the same. You insert it into a line by itself (Type>Special Characters>Vertical Spacer). It makes a vertical gap based on the leading you give it.

BUT! if it appears as the top line of a text frame, it will disappear.

Why is this good? Because it saves having to create a lot of paragraph styles to deal with each situation. For instance, currnetly, I may need the following styles:

Block Quote Standalone [space before and space after]

Block Quote beginning [space before no space after]

Block Quote Middle [no space before no space after]

Block Quote End [no space before space after]

Block Quote Standalone Indented

Block Quote beginning Indented

Block Quote Middle Indented

Block Quote End Indented

That's 8 styles all for the different combinations of block quotes. If I had a "vertical space" character, I would need only two styles:

Block Quote; and

Block Quote Indented.

Much easier to manage! The variations could be simply managed by inserting a vertical spacer as needed. Really useful idea, and similar to the way dedicated typesetting systems used to work several decades ago.

Thanks,

Ariel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 6, 2009 5:53 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

Why so many different styles for block quotes? Would a forced line break (Shift Space) help keep that list down?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2009 1:02 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

Ah, I see. You might blockquote more than one paragraph, and you are fully justifying the text. Yeah, that’ll take more than one style.

Sounds like a job for the also-requested and much more versatile Conditional Formatting.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2009 11:04 AM   in reply to Scott Falkner

You can do what you want now, although it’s a bit of a kludge. Just make a new style (I’ll call it “Spacer”) that has the Space After you want, less 0.1 pt. Give the style leading of 0.1 pt. Insert a blank paragraph in this style before and after each quote. If a quote ends up in the next text frame or page, the Spacer style will still be on the previous page, unless your text frame cannot accommodate one tenth of a point of extra content, which I doubt. Similarly if the quote comes at the end of a frame, the same thing will happen, since adding the line at the end of a frame only requires 0.1 point.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 1:44 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

Arïel wrote:

The only minute disadvantage is that if facing frames - one has a footnote

at the bottom, and one doesn't, they can never align perfectly (off by

.001pt)

Ariel

Good to know if I’m outputting to a device with a resolution of 72,000 dots per inch.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points