Skip navigation

Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Apr 12, 2009 8:34 PM

Latest reply: Jeffrey Tranberry, Oct 19, 2011 12:58 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2009 2:11 PM   in reply to Reynolds (Mark)

Nope, the bugs occur on PPC and Intel based Macintoshes.  Why they occur more for some users and less for others - we don't know.

Hopefully Apple will get these fixed in the near future (I'm way past tired of reading the crash reports and marking them as duplicates).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 2:36 PM   in reply to /forrest/
    Nope, the bugs occur on PPC and Intel based Macintoshes.  Why they occur more for some users and less for others - we don't know.

Ok, interesting, too many possibilities then as to what might be causing them I guess.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2009 2:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Nope, the bugs occur on PPC and Intel based Macintoshes.

That leaves Leopard as the only common element left.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 5:23 PM   in reply to /forrest/

OK, well, although there's been no final solution on this, it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing it, and that Adobe knows about the issue.

I'm in the same situation as /forrest/: I save more time and enjoy using 'Spaces'/other Leopard features and restarting Photoshop than not using Leopard and avoiding this crash. I'll just wait it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 6:17 PM   in reply to /forrest/

for the record when I'm working I use Tiger. I think its safe to say that I have a rock solid OS and my Adobe apps don't crash. Yes I have Leopard on a separate drive and I can't say Adobe apps are rock solid. I have not used Leopard since 10.5.5, I have not had time to play.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2009 11:45 AM   in reply to Buko.

Thanks for all the comments, this issue has been driving me crazy. Looks like everyone has moved on, Oh Well, I am getting tired of submitting crash reports.

I have tracked the issue to a 100% sleep issue on the Mac Pro.

Photoshop CS4 on the Mac Pro 3gig quadCore with 4 gigs of ram.

I have not used Spaces for months, or since I last rebuilt me computer.

It is not a leopard issue, I have a MacBook Pro that runs leopard and sleeps all the time, have never had this issue.

Last year, I had all PowerPCs (MacBook and G5) running Leopard and never had any crashes like this.

To recreate the crash, open Photoshop, let it sit until the computer goes to sleep, wake the computer, then drag a layer in the layers palette. A file does not have to be open the whole time. I normally use Photoshop for a while, then close everything when I am done to free up memory. For me it normally happens in the morning or after lunch.

Yesterday I set all the power saver preferences to never sleep, today brought up Photoshop from the background, it had been open all night. Grabbed a layer and moved it around with no crash. The crash also happens if you try to drag a photoshop file tab out of the main window, seems like the same issue, only happens after the computer has been asleep.

I set my computer sleep preferences back because I have a ton or hard drives and two monitors hooked up. Now that I know what causes it, I will shut down Photoshop more often.

So does this put it back in Adobe's court? A sleep issue with the Xeon processor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2009 12:09 PM   in reply to taterboy1
    It is not a leopard issue,

Ive also used Leopard now on so many machines and never really seen these type of crashes.

But then I'm not so sure your solution is the correct one-  I use sleep on a 2xdual Xeon processor every night, and never seen this probem on that machine either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2009 12:20 PM   in reply to Reynolds (Mark)

That is good to know, maybe now I will look at my peripherals. Tonight I will unplug everything (external harddrives, printer, video hardware) except the basics and see if that makes a difference. There is display sleep and hard drive sleep, you have "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" checked?

I do not have any of the external drive set up as scratch disks, so I don't think it is a drive issue, but you never know.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 7:28 PM   in reply to /forrest/

I have the same problem with Leopard on a MacBook Pro, and I never use Sleep or Spaces. Like most problems I have with Photoshop it seem to happen when I have a large number of layers and folders. I'm a web designer, so I usually deal with pretty light files (under 20 mb) but with lots of layers, and Photoshop doesn't seem to like that too much.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 7:35 PM   in reply to sacha357

Did you update to MacOS 10.5.8?  Apple fixed a couple of bugs that caused crashes in Photoshop in that release.

(but the "display changed for screen saver notification" crasher is still there, darnit)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 8:45 PM   in reply to /forrest/

I'll try updating, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2009 11:09 AM   in reply to sacha357

Updating to 1.5.8 worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 8:26 AM   in reply to /forrest/

hi,

same problem here since Leopard / CS3 ... Now, I'm on Snow Leopard / CS4 and the bug is still there !

I'm using very few things on my Mac ... It's an intel based MacBookPro 2,5.

10.5 / CS3 crahes ... 10.5 / CS4 crashes ... 10.6 / CS4 crashes !!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2009 1:59 PM   in reply to LCé

10.5.8 vs. CS4 Photoshop... Round 3. Just had this happen to me again. Moving a layer, Photoshop's eyes glaze over and it hits the floor.

We can fake a moon landing, but we can't do anything about this?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2009 10:14 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Hello all,

We've been chasing this problem for some time now, around 20 machines - mix of G5's (5) and MacPros (15) and a few MacBook Pros.

With each 10.5.x update hoping it would be solved.  Moved Hard drives from one machine to another in an attempt to isolate system/software or hardware.  At one stage thought is was the nVidia cards v's the ATI cards, then tried permentations of memory config, brand of scratch disk, wacom drivers, clean installs, etc etc etc with no resolve.  Very very painful for the users.

Very recently we swapped displays on a machine and all seemed to fine.  Trying to work out what this might be pointing too, did some digging and found the DVI spec has some ID tag or data that is passed so the host can identify the exact model of display, far more sophisticated than the old monitor ID pins of old.

EDID <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID>. and given not all machines had the same displays, but the ones with xx seemed to be the problematic ones,  I couldn't rule out a corrupted ColorSync profile. Could be some bogus data in the EDID for that model display.

Isolated down to the ColourSync profile used by the system when the display is connected - different display, different profile.

Replaced the profile on the machine that was playing up (after placing the original display back on) and so far all has been stable.

Strange, obscure, all of the above, but so far to very pleased to be on top on this.

If you are having problems with PS crashing when dragging layers, try setting your machine to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as a test.

Be keen to hear if this solves for other people too.

Cheers

David Bettany

Wellington, NZ

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2009 12:24 AM   in reply to davebnz

Hello,

thx for your help. However, I'm already using  sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profil. I'm working with gray scaled pictures but the problm occurs also on RVB or CMJN pictures. I changed this morning for my "personal" calibration and do some tests.

There is my config if you have another idea :

Macbookpro, 2,5 Ghz, 4Go under 10.6 but I'm having this bug from 10.5/CS3 to 10.6/CS4

Dual screen (MacbookPro/Dell 2408 plug on Dvi). Few external drives that I'm not using with PS.

A wacom Intuos 3 A4 (USB).

I'm running Timemachine.

My 2 screens are calibrated with a Spider3 from datacolor.

Thx again for your help ... As you said, it's really painful and I'm loosing a lot of time du to this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2009 12:28 AM   in reply to LCé

oh ... I'm not sur it's important but when I crash CS4, I'm loosing all the scripts modifications I made during the session.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2009 2:43 PM   in reply to LCé

PS4 crashes while using Intuos 3 doing the following: Making selections with lasso, painting masks, cloning, zooming in by clicking mouse.

I did download update for the Intuos 3.

Mac Pro  Quad Core Intel Xeon

PS4  11.0.1

Wacom Intuos 3

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 11:07 AM   in reply to /forrest/

Hey all,

This may surprise you but I'm having the same issue on a PC using XP 64bit.

I've been using CS3 while suddenly out of the sudden if I take an external file, copy a chunk of it, paste it to an existing PSD and then move that new layer with the mouse or arrow keys then a crash occurs.

It basically happened a short time after I upgraded my RAM which isn't doing any issue with any other program.

My specs:

CPU : Intel Q9550 Quad Core

RAM: OCZ 8GB Reaper edition 1066Mhz

Video Card : EVGA Geforce 7800GT latest drivers installed

NO tablet connected and no printer.

I've just tried CS4 trial and it happens there too! :-(

That issue is pretty consistent, has nothing to do with a long sleep. Makes it impossible to work wiht photosohp.

My scratch drive is set to drive D that has 550GB free.

My drive C has 3GB free so it's checked off to use it . Photoshop is installed on drive D.

The performance says it has 3255MB RAM available to photoshop, I increased it to use 70-80% and it didn't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 11:51 AM   in reply to tkeshet

hello,

hum ... so ... it seems that Mac OS X is not the only problem ! Maybe CS4 is having a deep bug that Adobe can't find ... or Adobe seems to be sure that it's an OS problem !

too bad !

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 11:53 AM   in reply to tkeshet

I went into Photoshop Preferences to GPU Settings and Unchecked 

"Enable Open GL Drawing"

I haven't had any crashes since and my on-screen tool movements are 

more precise!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 11:55 AM   in reply to billgrgsy

Done ... I'll check tomorrow during my work if the problem is fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2009 12:14 PM   in reply to LCé

Let me know if it works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 5:04 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Apple has reportedly fixed the major cause of this in MacOS 10.6.2.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 12:26 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hello,

I read the fixes and I saw nothing about layers. Because I'm on 10.6.2 since yesterday, I'll let you know if the problem is still there.

thx for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2009 8:50 AM   in reply to LCé

bad news !

The bug is still there on 10.6.2 !!

As I said, Apple never talk about this bug regarding the new patch and now, it's a fact, CS is still bugging when dragging a layer.

It's a shame ...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2009 1:00 AM   in reply to LCé

it's worst than I thought. This morning, PS crashed on a simple tool selection (right click to choose a different brush shape).

How is it possible to work fine with this kind of randon crash !

I don't know why Adobe didn't include a recovery file (as Maxon with Cinema4D for example) after crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 1:46 PM   in reply to LCé

This is garbage. I lose work to this bug a few times a week. As a user of Photoshop since ~1988, since it was beta, since it had a little photobooth as an icon, it's f&%king frustrating.

Adobe software used to be ultra stable and Photoshop was the bastion of it all. Now I get crashes. I don't care if it's Apple, I don't care if it's Adobe, I care about results and stability.

What a glorious day it will be when this bug goes away... Of course it will go unheralded and unnoticed because it will simply mean that Photoshop is behaving the way it's supposed to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2009 5:49 PM   in reply to /forrest/

Hey, all, don't bother knocking yourselves out with all the troubleshooting — I done it all.

I had a 2.66 quad Mac Pro that I replaced when it wouldn't run Photoshop CS3 on 10.5.0 without crashing on a work flow that involved dragging layers across Ps windows — I was told by industry giants here (not Adobe) that I was the only one then and that I must have bad hardware.  Apple also initially made me feel like I was the only one having these problems until Chris Cox eventually started helping me decipher my crash logs (thank you, Chris).

I replaced the "bad" 2006 4-core with a new 2008 8-core Mac Pro and the problem followed and crossed over to CS4 — now it has crossed over to 10.6.2!

I say this because I just zerowrote a new hard drive and installed 10.6.2 and CS4 and crashed the problem three times already within an hour.

Chris Cox tells me I am hitting known crashers that Apple is aware of and working on.

Apple seems to be monitoring my problems, but after almost two years, I can still crash Ps seemingly at will consistently in under 10 minutes.

I even crashed one of Adobe's machines in about 7 minutes duplicating the problem for them remotely using their files (and my work flow).

And Apple has replaced my logic board, processors, matching OEM video cards during the process.

I can add I've heard both sides during the process, and have to side with Adobe.

Apple told me they are not responsible if Photoshop doesn't run right on their machines, but I think the nutshell here is that the Mac OS/hardware can't run Photoshop in a professional environment.

If Apple is "working" on the problems, then they need to work a little harder — this is downright disappointing (not to mention all time time this has cost me).

Gary Ballard (used to be g ballard here)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 1:44 AM   in reply to gator soup-0nfU1k

According to crash reports I sent to Adam on the PS Team my crashes were due to having a 30" Cinema display. Apparently it's a QuickDraw issue. I've absolutely learned how to prevent my crashes though.. never drag from the Layers Panel to another document. always highlight the layer, then drag from document window to document window.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 4:55 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I used to have only crash when moving layer but since 10.6.2 ...

crash when when trying to select a brush with right-click or renaming a layer ... Don't know if I'll discover other new bugs.

The question is .. Why PS is the only software crashing on my mac ?!! I'm using other softwares whitout any problem ...

Thx to Adobe and Apple for this very instable situation which remember me the time I was on a PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 8:59 AM   in reply to LCé

>> I've absolutely learned how to prevent my crashes though.. never drag from the Layers Panel to another document. always highlight the layer, then drag from document window to document window.

Wow, thank you for posting that, Scott, I can hardly wait to see if that helps here.

I do have a 30" monitor (24" 2490WUXi NEC, and 20" Sony on two matching ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT cards.  I also have a similar setup on my 4-core box), and I drag layers a lot from the layers pallet (usually by first Control+Option+Command+clicking on the target pixels in the Ps window to select the layer).

Adam did mention if 30" Apple monitors were in the soup when 10.5.6 introduced new bugs and made Ps literally unusable here, but this is the first I've heard that 30" ACD are part of the problem with dragging layers from the layers pallet (and not dragging from the layers pallet is an absolute work around).

Chris told me one of my crashers was a family of Quickdraw problems and that some of these were fixed in 10.6.2 (why I just jumped on the SL sleigh to see for myself).

I have been skeptical of Ps running right since 10.5 and Intel boxes, but I have some hope that I can at least work around some of my issues...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 9:08 AM   in reply to gator soup

just fyi ...

the "layer" problem I have is not when I drag layer to a document but when I drag layer, in the layer panel, to modify is position in the list.

++

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 9:19 AM   in reply to LCé

>> when I drag layer, in the layer panel, to modify is position in the list.

I am working on a 24x36 300ppi poster with some 200 small pictures arranged in a montage so I am doing a lot of arranging in the layout, including modifying positions in the list directly within the layers pallet, and I am seeing crashers every few minutes when doing this.

Hey, maybe if I put my old 10.5.6 hard drive back in I can work around the 10.6.2 OS bugs too and finish my poster...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2009 11:52 AM   in reply to gator soup

Scott,

That's not working for me, I went back to work this morning making sure not to drag layers across window from Ps Layers Pallet and crashed in about 10 minutes.

I did Cont+Opt+Com+Click on a 450 pixel layer, Com+C, Com+N, Com+P, and started using Wand, Feather, Delete, Com+J, Pen, Com+Enter, Com+Shift+i, Opt+Com+D (Feather), Delete to trigger the crash.

This is hopeless...

Date/Time:       2009-11-15 11:27:24.289 -0800

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
    Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0   libGLProgrammability.dylib        0x9895ca95 glvmSamplerLoadTexels + 1445
    1   libGLProgrammability.dylib        0x98962f58 glvmSamplerSample + 15208
    2   libGLProgrammability.dylib        0x98949761 glvmInterpretFPTransformFourInner + 10945
    3   libGLProgrammability.dylib        0x9894b17a glvmInterpretFPTransformFour + 1114
    4   GLRendererFloat                   0x318d5f9e gldLLVMFPTransformFallback + 686
    5   GLRendererFloat                   0x318df7a3 gldLLVMVecPolyRender + 10291
    6   GLRendererFloat                   0x318dcf64 gldSetPolyRenderFunc + 436
    7   GLRendererFloat                   0x318ebc90 gldTessellateTrianglesRGBA + 433
    8   GLRendererFloat                   0x318ebeee gldRenderQuads + 80
    9   GLEngine                          0x3b136880 gleVPRenderQuadsSmooth + 255
    10  GLEngine                          0x3b015f30 glEnd_Exec + 72
    11  libGL.dylib                       0x9026f935 glEnd + 24
    12  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x004ba5e3 0x1000 + 4953571
    13  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x004c47a8 0x1000 + 4994984
    14  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x004c48f0 0x1000 + 4995312
    15  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x0051dcf5 0x1000 + 5360885
    16  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x0051f4f1 0x1000 + 5367025
    17  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x0051f740 0x1000 + 5367616
    18  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x005c75bb 0x1000 + 6055355
    19  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x005c65b9 0x1000 + 6051257
    20  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x005c6780 0x1000 + 6051712
    21  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00506e56 0x1000 + 5267030
    22  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00507c32 0x1000 + 5270578
    23  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00063d65 0x1000 + 404837
    24  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00063ed3 0x1000 + 405203
    25  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x0006222f 0x1000 + 397871
    26  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x002206aa 0x1000 + 2225834
    27  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00220736 0x1000 + 2225974
    28  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00003912 0x1000 + 10514
    29  com.adobe.Photoshop               0x00003839 0x1000 + 10297

Thread 1:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
    0   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93adb0ea kevent + 10
    1   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93adb804 _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 215
    2   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93adacc3 _dispatch_queue_invoke + 163
    3   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93adaa68 _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 234
    4   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93ada4f1 _pthread_wqthread + 390
    5   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93ada336 start_wqthread + 30

Thread 2:
    0   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93ab4922 semaphore_wait_signal_trap + 10
    1   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93ae245c _pthread_cond_wait + 1089
    2   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93b2b503 pthread_cond_wait + 48
    3   com.adobe.amt.services            0x0ad79552 AMTConditionLock::LockWhenCondition(int) + 46
    4   com.adobe.amt.services            0x0ad74995 _AMTThreadedPCDService::PCDThreadWorker(_AMTThreadedPCDService*) + 115
    5   com.adobe.amt.services            0x0ad795b0 AMTThread::Worker(void*) + 20
    6   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93ae1fbd _pthread_start + 345
    7   libSystem.B.dylib                 0x93ae1e42 thread_start + 34

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points