Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Protected page issue sony prs505 adobe DE

Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am having a similar problem as noted previously.  I have adobeDE 1.17.1.1085 and the sony prs505.  I can download books from the public library, see them (and read them) in AdobeDE and also in the sony ebook library when the reader is connected. ADE is authorized on my computer. However if I try to access the same book on the prs505 ereader it says "protected page!".  The book is listed on the ereader.  I have already completed the runaround between Sony and Adobe. Sony said contact adobe for info to authorize the reader.  I tried the CTRL/shift/E found here in the forum and it said it deauthorized my reader-so it must have been authorized (ugh).    My first book worked, the second did not and I though I had disconnected from the library too soon, but with this third book I realized it is an issue.  Does anyone have a solution?  Ideas?  I have only had the Sony for a month.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2009 Jun 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and am losing my mind trying to figure this out.  Someone please help .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue with three ebooks (two epubs and one pdf, all DRM'd) I downloaded from the public library and transferred to my Sony PRS-505 from within Adobe DE.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when one of those ebooks will work, yet when I transfer either all of them at once or some of them, invariably some or all those ebooks won't work, showing the Protected Page! error.

I'm using DE 1.7.1.1085.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found an answer to the "protectet page" issue courtesy of the Seattle Public Library.  It is a known problem with Overdrive.  Is occurs with borrowed books and lending periods on Sony readers with both EPUB and ADF formats. Overdrive is aware of it andhopefully working on it.

The adobe titles receiving this error should work when the other titles are removed from the reader. (You can apparently leave them in either ADE or the Sony library.) They recomend removing everything from the reader (you can keep it in ADE) and then loading the content you want back.  I think this means one borrowed book at a time-kind of defeats part of the purpose of an ereader for travel.

Or, I have also found and they confirmed that if you add more titles of the same type you can read one of that type, but not the other type. I added two more books one of each type (EPUB and PDF) and then the one I was reading (EPUB) got the protected page error, but all others works  I would add the detail information I received  but I can't seem to paste here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 13, 2009 Jul 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good information, lbbstar.  I've found similar experiences as yours, although mostly it doesn't work in any combination.  I do agree that on rare ocassions, it does work by uploading just one ebook.  I do usually remove all ADE ebooks before uploading just one, hoping it'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. A week ago I downloaded 5 EPUBs with DRM from San Francisco public library. They transfered to the PRS505 and read fine. Today I downloaded 2 more books. They open fine in the ADE software. They will not open in the Sony Library ("This computer is not authorized to read these files"). They do not open on the Sony Reader ("Protected Page").

It used to work, now it doesn't. The reader and ADE are both authorized.

I have trouble tickets in with Sony and Adobe but I'm not optimistic.

This is incredibly frustrating. ADE is the buggiest piece of software I've encountered in a long time, and we're held hostage to it because of DRM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I hear from Overdrive today on the problem - no answer but they are clearly aware and possibly working on it.

-----------------------------

We are sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.  We are aware of the
issue and apologize for the inconvenience and delay in getting back to
you. We are working with the technology partners in play to determine
the root cause of the issue and how to fix it. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
The OverDrive Media Support Team

MargaretJK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for keeping me in the loop.

Doreen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!   Using the info provided I "returned" my library books and borrowed books with all the same format  - all newly borrowed books work!!   I have had my 505 reader for less than 2 weeks and have a multitude of issues with ADE.  As much as I love my new reader, the frustration dealing with support from 3 different sources (4 including microsoft errors encountered) really makes me think I should have waited???

ET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon??  Up to the week hours of the nite and woke up this morning and couldn't open my borrowed books ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2009 Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded 4 books from my public library (2 Epubs and 2 PDFs) and I am able to read them all!

I received an email that there is a new 3.5 Sony ebook library at http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ and I downloaded it.

I used Internet Explorer to access my public library and checkout/download the book.  Firefox didn't work for me.

Instead of bringing up Adobe Digital Editions, the download now starts up the Sony ebook library.

You'll see the status icon circling on the left as the book is downloaded and then it will be added to the ebook library.

You can drag/copy the book from the Sony ebook library library to your Sony reader shown on the left.  It does not need Adobe Digital Editions.

All the books I copied are readable, none of them are shown as protected on my Sony 505.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! Such great news.

Doreen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a couple of times now where the Sony software has given an error message that it has "stopped working". When that happens the books may go back to being protected. However, it seemed to be ok if I restarted the Sony software, deleted them from my reader (using the Sony software) and then copied them over again. That happened when I was copying the fifth book. You don't need to download again from the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem continues to happen, at least for me.  Everytime I download an Adobe ePub book from my library it opens OK on my computer but gives me the "Protected Page" error on my Sony PRS-505.  If I delete the book from the 505 and copy it over again it usually works but my most recent book had to be deleted/recopied 3 times before it would finally open on the 505.  I am using the latest Sony eBook Library, vers 3.0.00.08040, to manage my books but I also had the problem when I tried using Adobe Digital Editions directly.  It's very annoying to have to delete and recopy every book when you don't know if it worked until you disconnect the 505 and wait for it to refresh - only to find out it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2009 Sep 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard that this is a problem with Overdrive.

I've been forced to remove the DRM from library books to get them to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2009 Sep 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank God I found this site. I thought I was the only one

with an EPUB problem.

This has been for months. I contacted Overdrive and they

said they were aware of it. Ok.....

I installed the newest firmware from Sony.

Now I can access the Estore but can't access Elibrary.

I was in email contact with Sony. They said I can't

acess Elibrary because I have a 64bit PC.

This is BS because I was using the Elibrary (64) since

March and never had a problem until the newest firmware was downloaded.

I told Sony it is ridiculous that I can make a purchase from the

Estore (64) but can't open the elibrary.

The brainiac suggested I do a hard reset on my reader. I reminded him

I can't because I can't acess the Elibrary to reload.

Everything worked well except for the EPub issue, and when I downloaded

the newest firmware and can no longer acess the Elibrary.

Sorry to ramble. Am PO'd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2009 Sep 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again. Just spoke with Jonathan from Sony.

We undid the latest firmware and I can now access

the Elibrary.

I questioned him about the EPub/Overdrive problem.

Sony is ware and is working with Overdrive.

An email will be sent out when the fix is issued.

I guess those who registered their reader will get them.

It's weird. I can read the EPUB on my PC/DE. Just

not on the reader. Oh well.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there really a version 3.5 of the Sony Reader Software?  I only see 3.0.01 from this link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only see 3.0,01 too. I am going to call Sony again and if I get a good

update, will post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I too have had some difficulty with the DRM eBook content from the Ottawa Public Library.  I was able to get it working just now on my PRS-505 by trying the suggestion to NOT use ADE but to go directly through the Sony eBook software.  After deleting the books that would not open, (on the reader itself since for some reason they don't show up in the computer view using the Sony ebook software), I re-downloaded the books by doubling clicking on the URLLink.acsm files that I had saved.  This kicked off a download process in the Sony software. Dragging and dropping these acsm files didn't accomplish much.  The books showed up in my Sony library and I dragged these onto the ebook.  And now they open.  I'm suspicious that the key attached to the ADE is different that that of my reader.  I didn't do anything special to synchronize them.  But now that I have a path, I don't see much reason to use ADE.  Even though it is has such a nice UI compared to the Sony eBook tool.  Now if I could only get this to work on my old PRS-500.

/Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet to get an answer to my ticket that I have open with Adobe, but this forum has been great.  I did as you suggested above (not using ADE) and I seem to be able to download and read borrowed books that are both PDF and ePUB formats.  I agree that there might not be much use for ADE, but for those books whose rights allow it, ADE gives you some print/copy commands that I don't think the Sony Reader software has. 

I think the ability to "borrow" books from the library, just knocks the socks off of the Kindle and I was really disappointed when I had trouble with it.  But, so far, so good.

If I ever get an answer from Adobe, I'll post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have ADE installed on my computer, and my library books are

working just fine with the Sony software.

I agree that this feature makes the Sony reader much more appealing. I've

saved a ton of money by borrowing e-books from the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,   I am hoping someone can provide additional guidance re not using Adobe Digital Editions as I am still tyring to download ebooks.   I removed ADE from my computer and saved a library ebook on my desktop (file extension is an ASCM) file.   I am not able to open file or move to reader.   If you could provide step by step instructions, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The acsm file I believe is only a link to the system that will generate and deliver the encrypted ebook file ("When you start to download an Adobe PDF a small file with the extension .acsm is first downloaded. This is used by Adobe Digital Editions to send the activation ID to the delivery server which will use that ID to generate an encrypted PDF eBook, which is then downloaded to your PC.").

I have both ADE and Sony eBook apps on my laptop.  When I request an eBook from the library and download the .acsm, I don't save it but ask that the Sony eBook app execute on the file.  I use FireFox so this is the default method of asking to save or run.  It then shows up in my Sony eBook app and I can then copy it to my PRS-505.  I just did this 5 minutes ago and it still works.  I can open it either on my laptop or on my ebook reader.

But, I believe that the publishers might have different eBook DRM rules for books.  Some may or may not allow transfer of copies from PC to reader.  Or restrict the number of times this can be done.

I don't know if the Sony eBook reader needs the ADE app or some DLLs that come from that installation.

Assuming you are on Windows, I would go to the "tools" menu on a folder, to to the tab "file types" (this will take some time to load),

and scroll down to the extension labelled "ACSM".  Make sure this is related to your "eBook Library", which is how my Sony app is

registered on my system (WinXP).

Good luck!

/Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, well I am hoping the Sony upgrade on the 11th will be the fix.

Will save your message for future reference. I am determined to use the

public library capability!

Thanks again Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines