Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else not able to define sites with DWCS4 / Windows 7?

Nov 22, 2009 4:03 AM

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 I can't add new sites by clicking on my local site folders within manage sites - I have to type the paths in manually for the main folders and their image folders. I trashed my prefs folder and it did nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2009 1:00 PM   in reply to f8saysso

I have had the same problem. Windows 7 (or Dreamweaver CS4 which ever) does not insert the name of the folder that you have browsed to in the local root folder box.

However, if you type in a folder name on the end of the path, Dreamweaver will accept it even if it does not exist. You then have to go into the filing system, and create the folder. If the folder does exist, Dreamweaver no longer inserts it into the path.

I don't know if this is a problem with myself, for how I set up access to the Inetpub folder (using a dos command), unfamiliarity with the filing system, a bug in Dreamwweaver or a compatibility problem with Win7. However, it is possible to create sites - you just have to do a bit more work yourself.

Just as an aside, while writing this post, I just did a spellcheck. Seems the spell checker does not know the word Dreamweaver

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2009 1:21 PM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

Same problems.

Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4 are broken under Windows 7. Our entire staff is upgrading to Windows 7 and because of the Dreamweaver / Windows 7 issues, we're all switching to Microsoft Expression Web. Runs fine with no issues in Windows 7. Bye-bye Dreamweaver

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to Lullie123456789012345

That seems a little short sighted. Perhaps you have other reasons for your decision?

Everything else seems to work fine under Win7.

I suggest that you drop win 7 and stick with Dreamweaver - unless you originally made and equally hasty decision and switched from XP to Vista!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2009 7:30 AM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

Correct. Everything else is working fine in Win7.

Drop Win7 as a workaround for Dreamweaver problems? Cool!

Please get me some of what you're smoking! Got to be good stuff!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2009 11:34 AM   in reply to Lullie123456789012345

Why would spend all that money on an OS just for one program?  Why wouldn't you go back to what worked for you previous to Windows 7?  And I wouldn't be so quick to blame Dreamweaver.  Windows 7 is still new and relatively untested by the masses.  Yes it's been in beta for forever, but that doesn't make it iron clad.  I'm not trying to be a smart *ss, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2009 12:23 PM   in reply to PHE Admin

Dang.

We didn't upgrade because Dreamweaver sucks under Windows 7. Your question doesn't make sense... We upgraded to Windows 7 because it's been running great in our test environment for the last year. It's fast, solid and hasn't crashed since it was installed. If it knocks off a few minutes of production time - we're in! It simply blows away the previous OS's. Time to move on, Grandpa. We didn't hold off on Win7 because of Dreamweavers problems, we bypassed the issues with something that works NOW, not wait 6 more months for Adobe to fix all the bugs. Trust me, Expression Web is smokin on Windows 7. Everything just works as expected and our users are all very happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 9:03 AM   in reply to Lullie123456789012345

Well Junior, I have to disagree with you. I run CS3 and CS4 under win 7 and they work together just as well as they did on XP.

Most people don't do sufficient exploring of new systems. Granted there are lots of differences with win7 but so far I have solved them with few problems.

There is a saying that you only get as much out as you put in.

And I seem to remember another one "Dont try to teach your Grandpa how to suck eggs".

Have fun!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 9:41 AM   in reply to f8saysso

f8saysso wrote:

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 I can't add new sites by clicking on my local site folders within manage sites - I have to type the paths in manually for the main folders and their image folders.

This is a known issue. It affects all versions of Dreamweaver on Windows 7, Vista SP2, and XP SP3. A change in the Windows operating system prevents the folder name from being selected. A simple solution is to select a subfolder, such as the images folder. Details here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478327.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 10:14 AM   in reply to f8saysso

Marking this thread as assumed answered.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 9:05 AM   in reply to f8saysso

I've had the issue in both Vista 64 SP2 on my new machine and still have the issue in Windoze 7 64bit, which is much better than Vista in my humble ... I just click a sub directory for the site directory and then have to type images for the images folder. Bit crap really as never had the issue with XP.

I have to say that all of my CS4 design premium is a bit flakey - Photo hsop 64 just won't run. Illustrator crashed is Photoshop 32 is open ..... and I have found the Adobe tech support to be rubbish - why would I be bitter - it only cost me fifteen hundred quid. Adds justification to those using cracked copies

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 10:18 AM   in reply to Cevema

I feel your pain.

Guess what keeps getting patched over the last year in the CS4 suite?? Acrobat and Bridge! That's it! Not the major apps. How about patching all the bugs in Photoshop, Illustrator, DREAMWEAVER and InDesign? Contribute is another app riddled with bugs on EVERY platform!

Someone mentioned that Adobe "said they were going to fix the bugs"? Really? Where is that statement from Adobe??? I can't find it anywhere.

Guess when they're going to patch these bugs... ...CS5!!!  They're going to try and force users to purchase the CS5 suite to get the "patches".

Just a pissed end user here that has already moved on to a different (Working) Web development app that is 100% compatible in WIndows 7.

That's what we paid for.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 10:38 AM   in reply to Lullie123456789012345

Then why are you still posting here.  You came on here with a problem.  Plenty of people tried to help you.  There is

obviously no solid solution for your problem.  As you have made abundantly clear, you have moved on to another Software suite that is working.  Good.  Good luck with it.  So stop coming on here spewing all your negativity and rants.  At this point you are helping no one which is the intent is for these forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 10:43 AM   in reply to PHE Admin

Then please turn off the option that's sending me response notifications from this forum!

I've tried on my end through my account settings here but they're still being sent to me. Put that in as another bug?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 11:26 AM   in reply to Lullie123456789012345

Lullie123456789012345 wrote:

Then please turn off the option that's sending me response notifications from this forum!

Click the Your Stuff link at the top of the forum, and select Preferences. In Email Notification Preferences, select the No radio button for both options, and click Save.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 11:30 AM   in reply to Cevema

By the way, Cevema...  We have to watch what we're complaining about. Just because we paid a lot of money for the $uite doesn't mean we can gripe about all the bugs here on the forum. PHEAdmin doesn't like us spewing negative bug reports here (what's a "positive" bug report?). Moreover, I'm going to cc: this to as many Adobe reps as I can find. I work for Black&Decker and already have contact info for about 6 reps we've dealt with over the last five years here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 11:32 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Tried that "switch", then Save, and it keeps going back to the default. PHE Admin, please do it on your end and report this bug also.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 12:08 PM   in reply to Lullie123456789012345

Lullie123456789012345 wrote:

what's a "positive" bug report?

A positive bug report is where you provide details of the problem with reproducible steps through the official report form at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 1:13 AM   in reply to David_Powers

As a consumer who has shelled out a huge amount of money for this package, I am feeling pretty fed up that quite a few parts of the programmes don't work and Adobe are already annoucing CS5. CS4 has been out quite a long time and still I can't place a swf file in an editable region of an html page created from a template in Dreamweaver and haven't managed to get any help with this basic bug. Why hasn't Adobe fixed the above issue? Perhaps if Adobe spent as much on finishing products as they do marketing, then there would be of lot of happier designers out here.

I'm not wanting to be negative, but my experienece so far has not been a happy one. I have had no responses to any of my requests for help on the Adobe forums - had this thread not been so busy with people complaining I would have thought that no one could read my posts

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 3:30 AM   in reply to Cevema

Cevema wrote:

CS4 has been out quite a long time and still I can't place a swf file in an editable region of an html page created from a template in Dreamweaver and haven't managed to get any help with this basic bug. Why hasn't Adobe fixed the above issue?

I doubt if it's a bug. As I noted in your other thread, I suspect you have a corrupted cache file.

I'm not wanting to be negative, but my experienece so far has not been a happy one. I have had no responses to any of my requests for help on the Adobe forums - had this thread not been so busy with people complaining I would have thought that no one could read my posts

This is a very busy forum. Sometimes questions get answered in minutes. At other times, you might be lost in the rush. If you don't get a reply in 24 hours, it's a good idea to post a follow-up in your original thread saying you're still waiting for an answer and asking if you need to give more information.

Please remember that this is a user-to-user forum. It's not Adobe technical support. Although a couple of Dreamweaver engineers participate from time to time, the vast majority of people providing answers are unpaid volunteers. You'll also find a lot of common questions answered in the Dreamweaver FAQ.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 7:43 AM   in reply to Cevema

To help with your question you can only place an SWF in an editable region on a page if there is an editable region in the header of your document.  If not, you are probably seeing an error that you are modifying code outside of a template.  This is not a bug but rather a warning to make sure people do not place code in a locked area because DW will not save it.  I can assure you that this is not specific to Windows 7 because that pop-up does occur in earlier versions of Windows and on a Mac.  Unfortunately DW does assume that you do understand a bit of HTML and CSS to handle these types of errors.  There is nothing I can say here in defense of Adobe.  Maybe they need an iWeb-like application to start out with like Photoshop Essentials.

Also, Adobe has not announced CS5 outside of a beta test that is scheduled to begin sometime in December.  This does not mean the product will be out in January.  Beta testing will typically last for a few months and then products are released after that.  And just because CS5 is in development it does not mean that CS4 development has stopped.  If you need proof look at the Adobe downloads page.  Dreamweaver CS3 was last updated 9/08 which was the same month CS4 came out.  Photoshop CS3 was last updated 10/08 after the CS4 release.  Adobe InDesign CS3 also received a patch after the CS4 release date.  I could keep going on with this list.

And as far as I know, Adobe only does website advertising right now.  Most of their programs sell from the brand recognition they have created over the years, so they probably don't spend as much as you think or waste money.  But like most companies they are struggling right now and they are trying to find a balance in the budget to get back on track.  However that typically means more cutbacks as opposed to spending like someone else in this post eluded to, whose company's profit was down 60% in the 2nd quarter from the previous year, probably from wasteful spending whereas Adobe is down in the same period and had to lay people off.  So with less people working you can't always expect patches to come out as quickly or often as they used to be.  And the priorities will typically shift to security areas first like PDF, and then to program crashes, and then to program bugs.

Lastly, as David eluded to, if your question was answered in 24 hours post it.  I myself am guilty of only going back a page or two.  So if you don't bump the post every so often there is a chance it can get lost in the mix.  Most community members are more than willing to help people who need it and David is easily in the top 5 that I would recommend here for the best answer every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 8:03 AM   in reply to SnakEyez02

Hi Thanks for the reply

I am still pulling my hair out trying to place the flash file in an editable region. I did make a post about this

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2422390#2422390

The site is on a testing domain at present http://www.thepastafactory.co.uk Oddly there is a flash file on the index page which seemed to work fine, though I have a feeling I might have made that page when I was using CS3. Can't actually remember to be truthful.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2009 8:40 AM   in reply to Cevema

Cevema wrote:

I am still pulling my hair out trying to place the flash file in an editable region. I did make a post about this

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2422390#2422390

Yes, and I replied, suggesting the problem was almost certainly caused by invalid code on your page. I have just checked the index page of that site in the W3C validator, and there are errors in your that would probably trigger the JavaScript problem you encountered.

There are two divs with the same ID (MainText). One of them is empty, just before the editable region. You also have a closing </p> tag that doesn't have an equivalent opening tag. Clean up your code. It will probably cure the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 7:05 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Thanx for your help. I ended up copying the code from the index page and renamed the code for the swf file and now it seems to be working. I have to get the site finished this weekend and there's loadsa pages to build yet. Best crack on

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points