Skip navigation

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

Aug 31, 2009 8:39 AM

Latest reply: genoden, Mar 26, 2014 10:37 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 9 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 18, 2009 10:35 AM   in reply to Skivling
    I have always always wanted to have an output to video from the composition window.

Moobootoot: You mean the ability to have a live output to a video monitor of the Comp contents? If this is the case, this feature has been in AE since version 4.x.

If that's not what you mean, please try to explain better what is it (and make sure you  file a feature request, this thread is only for discussion).

its just plain crazy that I cant trust the software to do what I tell it to do, dispite avalable workarounds. I don't want to babysit my render que all night. I hope Adobe is taking this seriously. I mean this issue has been around for a while and it's not like it has improved.

Skivling: Adobe just announced that the next version of After Effects will be a native 64-bit application. This means AE will be able to use all the RAM you throw at it, and this should make your wish come true (these errors are typically memory-related).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 11:06 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Output to video from the comp window yes. Well that is good to hear. I just had a look to see where it might be. How do you switch it on?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 11:14 AM   in reply to moobootoot
    Output to video from the comp window yes. Well that is good to hear. I just had a look to see where it might be. How do you switch it on?

From After Effects Help:

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Video Preview (Windows) or After Effects > Preferences > Video Preview (Mac OS).
    2. Choose an external device from the Output Device menu. (If a device is available, it’s automatically listed in this menu.)
    3. Choose a mode from the Output Mode menu. The choices listed depend on the device you are using. The Frame Size value that appears under the Output Mode menu is dependent on the value that you select from the Output Mode menu, and is not dependent on any other After Effects settings.
    4. Set any of the following options:
      Previews
      Displays RAM previews or standard previews on the external monitor only.
      Mirror On Computer Monitor
      Displays RAM previews or standard previews simultaneously on the external monitor and on the computer screen. Using this option may slow down the previews.
      Interactions
      Displays interactive previews—such as scrubbing in the Timeline panel or dragging in the Composition panel—on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor.
      Renders
      Displays each frame on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor as the frames render in the render queue.
    5. Select Scale And Letterbox Output To Fit Video Monitor if you are working with image sizes that don’t match your preview device frame size and you want to see the entire image scaled to fit.
      After choosing an output device in the Video Preview preferences, you can preview the current frame on the output device by pressing the forward slash (/) key on the numeric keypad. Press Ctrl+/ (Windows) or Command+/ (Mac OS) to toggle the preference to Desktop Only or to the output device you specified.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 2:09 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Improvement of how AE deals with .exr files. EXR is such a great format for bringing in multiple channeled 3D projects into comp programs, but forget actually working with it in AE. Nuke deals with .exr files fast, with no issues, but while it is great that after effects can read them - on a HD project using exr files is like watching cement cure - SSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOOW.

Almost unworkeable, which is too bad as most companies probably need this feature to work well.

Also it would be great if After Effects ever takes the bold plunge and becomes a true 3D comp program. 2.5D works to a point, but it would be great to be able to have true 3D space to play around with. Better 3D camera controls would be nice too.

After Effects is a wonderful program, but there is definitely room for improvement particularly in relation to 3D.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2009 11:00 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

The plug-in interface needs major reworking. It was fine when all plug-in were just a few knobs and sliders. But modern plug-ins like Particular 2 and MoType have settings that are pages and pages long. How about an GUI API for plug-in developers?

Plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks, Invigorator, and the upcoming Video Copilot Optical Flares all use custom interfaces that would be impossible to replicate using AE's long column interface.

It would be great if you gave plug-in developers the ability to write to a common UI.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2009 10:57 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

This is something minor, but how many times have you changed, say a photoshop file then flipped back to After Effects and it hasn't updated. Rather than go in the timeline and have to "reveal layer in project" then refresh in project window it would be nice to do in the timeline. Minor I know, but when you find yourself doing this over and over every second saved is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 2:35 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

it would be awesome if all warning/error/general confirmation popups came to the primary display when in a dual monitor system. Once I have a panel on the secondary monitor, all the popups land there, which don't always get my attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2009 7:31 PM   in reply to adam christl

This is something minor, but how many times have you changed, say a photoshop file then flipped back to After Effects and it hasn't updated. Rather than go in the timeline and have to "reveal layer in project" then refresh in project window it would be nice to do in the timeline. Minor I know, but when you find yourself doing this over and over every second saved is appreciated.

If you open the PSD file by going in AE to Edit > Edit Original (this will launch Photoshop if it's not already open), the PSD layers will be automatically updated in AE as soon as you save the file in Photoshop. No need to reveal or refresh anything

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 3:47 AM   in reply to Skivling

Add to render settings option restart AE and start render again same composition. In most case same frame (where was image buffer error) after restart of AE render without problem. Plus option if error repeat at same frame skip this frame and render next one. This option with Skip existing files give a lot to long night renders, and at morning eventualy i can render several bad frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 12:17 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

This is just a small workflow improvement, but it would make my life a bit easier:

When creating a text layer with the text tool, it would be nice to have the option to make the text layer start from the current CTI-position, instead of the beginning of the comp.

It's certainly no big deal, but especially with long and complicated kinetic text animations it would make sure that the text layer doesn't show up earlier than wanted.

This should of course only be a checkbox somewhere, not the default behaviour.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 4:09 PM   in reply to Andy Bay
    > it would be nice to have the option to make the text layer start from the current CTI-position, instead of the beginning of the comp... This should of course only be a checkbox somewhere, not the default behaviour.

from "Layers overview":

"Note: By default, new layers begin at the beginning of the composition duration. You can instead choose to have new layers begin at the current time by deselecting the Create Layers At Composition Start Time preference (Edit > Preferences > General (Windows) or After Effects > Preferences > General (Mac OS))."

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2009 4:33 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Ah perfect, didn't know about that one! Thanks for pointing it out Todd!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2009 8:04 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

Hi, How about adding a lens de-focus/focus

effect

like the Canon ad at the bottom of this page: http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=871742

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2009 8:11 AM   in reply to The dog\'s bollox

Can't you just reproduce that effect by animating the blur of your choice?

Any effect that does that would require animating anyway.

What would REALLY be nice is a built in Spot Focus effect and a Tilt Shift (focus) effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2009 11:24 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

This is such a small thing I'm almost embarrased to post it here Anyway, I just did a huge grid of images in which I had to replace something like 90 layers on the timeline. I selected the layer on the timeline and alt-dragged a replacement for it from the project windows. But here's the problem, sometimes I forget to select the target layer first on the timeline. I naturally realize this only after I have already dragged my replacement to the timeline and the only option is now to move the mouse back to the project window, return to the timeline, select the layer, go back to the project window and drag again. It's not a big deal but when that happens, it really breaks the nice sense of workflow that I'm having and when it happens in a project with tens or hundreds of steps it my old carpal tunnel syndrome starts reminding of itself.

So the bottom-line is:

Could you please make the drag and replace function work so that you don't have to select a target layer first but when you drag and hold alt AE determines the target layer automatically from the cursor position?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2009 10:26 AM   in reply to Andy Bay

AE needs scopes and reference monitor (like premiere) really badly. It's hard to match shots without putting an effects on it just to see what your doing (levels, SA test gear, magic bullet).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2009 10:29 AM   in reply to joshtownsend

I Abosolutely agree on the Scopes. AE not having its own scopes is kind of absurd, don't you think?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2009 12:03 PM   in reply to joshtownsend

One the of big advantages of Test Gear is that you don't need to apply an effect to see what you're doing. It's just always there for you to refer to.

I agree that scopes are an important tool to have. Well worth the cost of the plug-in. But then I'm slightly biased.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2009 11:22 AM   in reply to Bob Currier

BOB,

You should work out a deal with Adobe. CS5 with SA and Test Gear 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2009 11:17 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

How about smarter (or user controllable) truncation of long file names in the project window.

Here's an example. Which clip is which?

Picture 3.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2010 12:51 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

This is more of a change in AE's behavior than a feature request:

When working on a mask layer, with the pen tool selected, you can currently CMD-drag to select multiple points.  This is very useful.

However, I often work on a mask on a separate layer tied to footage via an alpha matte  (Also, I'll often simply disable the roto layer while I'm working on it for the sake of speed.  That way I can see the roto mask and the underlying footage).  As a result I often manipulate mask points with layer visibility turned off but that layer selected in the timeline. 

In this state, the CMD-Drag functionality doesn't work any more.  Instead AE thinks I'm trying to move the underlying layer.  I'd appreciate it if CMD drag with the pen tool selected would select multiple mask points on the selected layer whether or not the layer is visible.

Cheers,

Ari

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 1:12 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

I have worked with AE for the last decade or so - and I have never stopped marvelling at the ongoing improvements and power of After Effects - but equally I am constantly dumfounded that interfaces such as 'Curves' - 'Hue and Saturation' - 'Levels' (and so on) continue to remain at a pre-defined and fixed size As screen resolutions grow my daily use of the Curves interface is now reduced to attempting to colour correct a client's work using an increasingly (comparatively) miniscule box. On my new 27" iMac (which boasts a resolution of 2560x1440) - this postage stamp sized interface is becoming increasingly preposterous as a professional colour correction tool.

The 'Curves' interface is 171 x 171 pixels. This is less than one screen/interface pixel per level in an 8 bit (256 levels) channel (!) Users are being asked to fine tune our work using a low resolution tool that offers an arbitrarily crude and imprecise control. Ultimately this renders the tool somewhat less that ideal, and certainly not what I would consider professional (for want of a better phrase). My request would be to offer either the option to enlarge the interface via a button (x2 x4 x8 etc etc) - or, preferably, allow the user to grab the lower right hand corner of the interface and scale it out to a usable size of his or her choice.

These tools are looking increasingly out of place in a modern, professional application like AE - to stick with the example of the Curves tool - this would really not be at all out of place on a piece of software from 1994.

In addition a better application (more control) of the splines would be very welcome - and furthermore I have often wished simple additional controls like a 'mix' or 'blend' slider was also included - sliding the 'mix' value towards 0 (zero) would morph the curve back towards the flat 45° default line - sliding the mix' value towards 100 would morph the line back towards your custom curve - but to be honest just being able to use the interface without a telescope would be great for day to day tasks.

example of a bigger Curves window:

(big image - you will need to scroll to the right to see the larger Curves window)

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/7229/oldvnew.jpg

This request for a usable / customizable interface size is equally applicable to any and all interfaces where precision adjustments are desirable - such as 'Levels' - 'Hue & Saturation' (and so on).

All the best. Lee.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 1:15 PM   in reply to TynanW

Lee: This sounds like a very good (and very reasonable) feature request.

Since this thread (and the forum in general) is more about user discussion, I encourage you to please send it through the official bug/feature request form as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 1:33 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi Adolfo, I did try and use the Adobe feature request form, but it would not work on my machine - I suspect it has something to do with the internet connection I am using (a mobile broadband USB dongle) - as it tends to throw up quite a few strange problems with particular pages and websites.

Could I ask you if you could cut and paste my request into the feature request page ? I would much appreciate it !

Cheers for any help.

Lee.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 9:12 PM   in reply to TynanW

No problem, Lee.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 9:35 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Cheers Adolfo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 1:35 PM   in reply to TynanW

How about being able to drag media into the timeline without having to got through the project window.

Also the curves like Lee said would be great (especially with a photoshop CS4 style picker what works with Curves, hue/sat ect). AE has all the tools for being a great color corrector but the UI isn't that friendly (i won't say scopes again).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 7:29 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

For the music related, I'd like an option to see and snap to TEMPO (in BPM, bars, notes, etc) along the top bar

(even if the actual rendering must round to the nearest frame.)

Perhaps even native import of MIDI data / timing

Also, the "sound scrub"? (or whatever it's called) segments should be longer if you want, so you can better understand what

words or music are occuring (or maybe there's a way to do that allready?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 4:19 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

As you can split the main comp view in to 2 views, 4 views etc,  would it be possible to allow, say your primary comp in the left view and a pre-comp (within the primary comp) in the right view so if you modify an animation in the pre-comp you can see it updating in the primary comp without having to switch comp views? If this feature already exists (which I can't find) I shall be hugely embarrased and apologise profusley.

Cheers,

Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 4:36 AM   in reply to Simon Terrey
    > As you can split the main comp view in to 2 views, 4 views etc,  would it be possible to allow, say your primary comp in the left view and a pre-comp (within the primary comp) in the right view so if you modify an animation in the pre-comp you can see it updating in the primary comp without having to switch comp views?

To lock the current viewer, split the current frame, and create a new viewer of the same type in the new frame, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift+N (Mac OS). Then, set each viewer to whichever composition you want to show in each.

See "Viewers" for more information about "edit-this-look-at-that (ETLAT)" features.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 5:10 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Argh! Brilliant!

Todd you are a star. That is exactly what i wanted.

Cheers mate!

Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 7:20 AM   in reply to Navarro Parker

That would indeed be handy.

There is A LOT of control available of the AFX workspace (thank you!),

but even more would be nice!

Particularly for those who are working on small, or single monitor set ups.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2010 11:35 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

For Christmas I want:

Soft Selection for pins on the puppet tool (see Autodesk 3DS Max soft selection feature)

A more feature-heavy gradient than the antiquated "ramp".  I want easing, multiple points of color, the whole works.  (and yes, I know, gradient overlay blah blah I want it in an EFFECT please...or maybe just take one of the requests above and move layer styles to the effects palette)

Scopes yes please.  Just jack them from premiere thanks.

App-native customizable hotkeys (c'mon let it go guys)...or at the very least leave MY hotkeys alone; I'm STILL upset about ctrl+G.

But I will trade all of that for CUSTOMIZABLE BRUSHES oh lord please please please BRUSHES BRUSHES BRUSHES (I'm talking about like importing photoshop or illustrator brushes or the like, not the dusty OLD brush system in place now)

Oh, and my students would like a "create-passing-grade-motion-graphics-project" plugin, so they will have to "stop doing so much work".  Just a one click thing would be fine for them.

THANKS

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2010 11:40 PM   in reply to Chas Naylor

YES! PHOTOSHOP BRUSHES!

Sorry to shout but I WANT PHOTOSHOP BRUSHES!!

And like I said before: more options for color like Illustrator (Color Guide panel).

AND SWATCHES!! Why on earth would there be no Swatch Panel?

Please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2010 4:13 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

How about a ROI/Crop layer using something like a shape layer?

Just think, you could set up multiple crops or ROIs in one comp. Also, by using a rectangular layer, you have numerical control over placement and size -- plus the ability to copy and paste crop/ROI zones to different comps. (Something that can't be done now)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2010 4:40 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

> How about a ROI/Crop layer using something like a shape layer?

How would this work differently from a mask?

from "Region of interest (ROI)":

"To create the equivalent of a region of interest for a single layer, you can draw a temporary mask around the part of the layer that you are working with. The area outside of the mask will not be rendered. This can make working with a small portion of a large layer much faster. Be careful, though, since not rendering the pixels outside of the mask can change the composition’s appearance significantly."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2010 5:05 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

> How about a ROI/Crop layer using something like a shape layer?

How would this work differently from a mask?

Or a shape layer (or solid) used as a track matte for a layer?

Or a shape layer (or solid) set to "stencil alpha" transfer mode?

Yes, a mask is prolly fastest and most efficient, but if we are understanding you correctly, I think there are quite a few ways to achieve this

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 1:22 AM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

After effects for me is the best software for compositing , but it would be nice to debug some functions :
    In the project window, if I delete the first frame of a sequence in the explorer, After can't find it anymore in the project sequence.  And sometimes when I open a composition on on another machine it doesn't automatically find the files collected. When I collect files, if there is a copy error, it's stop.
    In the expressions, if I open a project in another language that doesn't work anymore.
    The region of interest doesn't render faster with effects than with the whole image.

best regards,

Léon

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2010 5:01 PM   in reply to Chas Naylor

In your suggestions, all that's being done is masking out parts. But you are still rendering the full frame of your comp.

Using ROI, you can render a cropped version of your movie.  You can't do that with masks. You can only freehand drag a ROI rectangle. You can't numerically place it or copy/paste it between comps or projects. (like you can with a layer)

And by crop, I mean actually changing the pixel dimensions of your comp. Like a crop tool.

What if you wanted to slice your comp into four sections? You would have to make four different comps, each one displaying a different corner of your original comp. With my suggestion, you could render all four quadrants from a single comp by telling the output module to use a specific crop layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2010 5:07 PM   in reply to Navarro Parker

> In your suggestions, all that's being done is masking out parts. But you are still rendering the full frame of your comp.

Try it. Compare render times between RAM previewing a composition and then RAM previewing it with a temporary mask drawn to obscure all but a small piece of it. One is faster. That serves a lot of the purpose of an ROI.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 9 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points