Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

anti-aliased text when exporting PDF to image

Dec 1, 2009 5:30 PM

I need to be able to batch-convert multi-page PDFs to individual bitmap images (one image for each page) with anti-aliased text.

Photoshop works this way if you open a single PDF, allowing you to select one or more pages to rasterize as separate images, but not when batch processing (specifically, if you use the Image Processor script on a folder of images and PDFs, it will rasterize the PDFs automatically, but it will only do so with the first page of each PDF.)

Acrobat, on the other hand, automatically creates an image for each page when exporting, and can do this in a batch sequence, but the text is not anti-aliased, making the image look like a screenshot from 1997. No matter how high an image resolution you select, the text is still jagged when you zoom in.

So, is there a setting I'm missing that will allow the text to be anti-aliased when using Acrobat to export PDF to an image? I am using Acrobat 8, not 9, so something might have changed in the newest version.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2009 6:05 PM   in reply to studentpress

Not sure about Acrobat Pro 8, but in Acrobat Pro 9 (not Extended) you can Export>Image>Multiple Choice: JPEG, JPEG2000, PNG, TIFF.  I used JPEG and under the options in the export dialog box, leave the filename as is to coincide with the PDF filename and then choose Maximum Resolution under File Settings: Grayscale (JPEG, Quality:Maximum); Color (JPEG, Quality:Maximum) . . . skip down to Conversion Colorspace: Determine Automatically and Resolution choose 600pixels/inch for a letter size document.  This will result in a file size of 1.3MB per JPEG image if there is not a lot of information on the page.  I chose a simple header, footer with page numbering, and 5 lines of Lorem Ipsum text.  600dpi is overkill, you can go for 300dpi and still result in a decent image that will be able to be printed on a laser photocopier that is connected to a production computer.  Obviously if you are printing to a laser printer or a high quality inkjet 300dpi will suffice as well for a letter sized document.  But I have been told that 300dpi is not a standard rule of thumb and you must obtain specs from your printer since he/she can calculate by very strict rules the dpi you need for your content.  It depends on whether you have background images such as watermarks and also if your text body contains line-art.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 6:10 PM   in reply to markerline

See this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2411020#2411020

Also, I inspected the JPG and it is ALIASED, no anti-alias interpolation there.  But if you choose a high enough resolution the image will print clearly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 6:45 PM   in reply to markerline

Look at page 10 of the following PDF file:

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/creativesuite/articles/cs3ip_printpr odtrans.pdf

It covers transparency settings in Print Production and Preflight

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2009 7:37 PM   in reply to studentpress

My solution to you would be to generate 5.7MB TIFF files at 1200dpi and then batch process them in Photoshop by using Image Size>change dpi from 1200 to 300 and use Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction) resampling as a check-marked option.  You will then have anti-aliased files.  Try this step and let me know if you are happy with the results.

-markerline

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2009 6:29 AM   in reply to studentpress

This isn't a feature request but a problem that would have been best discussed in the regular Acrobat Windows forum. I do hear what you want, but I really need to ask why you need this. It appears you have a workflow that is going in the wrong direction. Why in the world do you want to make bitmaps out of pdfs for printing. At the end of this, I bet we hear something about a printer that is working with equipment from the Digital Stone Age.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

I'm having the same problem I have several folders with PDF maps in them and I want to export them to JPGs but they are coming out looking like crap. My reason for this option: Its what the client wants! PDFs & JPGs

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points