Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Aligning paragraph and headline appropriately

Dec 4, 2009 8:17 PM

Okay--lets suppose I have a text box with 2 columns. Within this text box I have a basic headline and a basic paragraph that flows through my 2 columns like so:

Headline
paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph

How do I make it in Indesign so that I stop the paragraph text on the 2nd column from aligning with the headline above it without having to create a separate text box for both the paragraph and the headline? Like I'm getting on this example:

Headlineparagraph paragraph
paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 4, 2009 8:49 PM   in reply to amebade05

You did not state the version number of InDesign. ALWAYS state that up front. We can’t tell you what you can do if we don’t know what tools or commands are available to you.

How would you wan the text to appear if the headline is too long to fit on one line in one column? Would you want the headline to span the two columns or would you want it to break at the gutter and stay within the leftmost column? If the former, then you should use a separate text frame for the headline. If the latter then it gets tricky. If you know or expect each headline to be one line and fit in the one column, then use a custom baseline for the text frame and make the body copy, but not the headline, Align to Baseline Grid.

Screen shot 2009-12-04 at 8.46.27 PM.PNGScreen shot 2009-12-04 at 8.46.30 PM.PNG

You can make that part of an Object Style. If you need to do the same for two line headlines, just add the leading for the headline to the Start value in the above dialogue. You can make that an Object Style, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2009 8:54 PM   in reply to amebade05

Hi

Grab the top of the text box in column 2 and drag it down so that it lines up with the top line of your body text in column 1.

Dragging in a guide line may help.

The whole block of copy will move down so that the top line of the second column will align with the top line of your body text in column 1.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 2:44 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Hi,

having the same problem often... how (with which tool) should i do this?

Nohjekim wrote:

Grab the top of the text box in column 2 and drag it down so that it lines up with the top line of your body text in column 1.

I tried the text tool, both arrows... but i could not get the top of the text box "in my hands".

Cheers - Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 3:09 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Nohjekim wrote:

Hi

Dragging in a guide line may help.

The whole block of copy will move down so that the top line of the second column will align with the top line of your body text in column 1.

Mike

This only works with independent frames, not with a single multi-column frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 3:36 AM   in reply to Scott Falkner

You can expand a bit on Scott's technique to make a headline straddle multiple columns, but only at the top of the frame, using a one-cell table:

Straddle head.png

Dave Saunders wrote a script called, conveniently, HeadStraddler, to automate this, but it's only available for CS or CS2.

If you need a headline in the middle of the page you'd need to split the text and start the headline in a new frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 10:04 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi

Your sample didn't show that you wanted the headline to center over both columns.

If I am going to do that I just create the headline in a separate text box and handle the body text separately.

I suppose that I do a lot of things differently then people who started later.

I started out with Aldus PageMaker and as I moved up through all the versions of PageMaker and Indesign (I'm now using Indesign CS4 I had to upgrade from CS2 when I got my new W7 64 bit computer a couple of weeks ago, so CS 4 is pretty new to me) I still do stuff the way I always have.

It certainly is easy to the headlines independent of the body text when you want to use different column specs for the two.

To Peter...

Point the normal selection tool over the little box in the top center of the text frame and position it so that a up down arrow appears.  You should be able to drag the top of the frame up and down.

I guess I always use independent frames, I place the text and allow it to flow using "Smart text flow" so that I can manage the columns separately.

My main business anymore (I'm 71 and sort of retired, at least I don't have to go into the office anymore) is designing and updating menus for a number of restaurants in the Midwest.

Any way since I'm always inserting graphics etc into the text I find it easier to use the text in separate flowed frames.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 11:13 AM   in reply to Scott Falkner

This is important, but I don't understand! Can someone take me step by step? How do you make the body copy, but not the headline align to the baseline grid? I tried just selecting the body copy and aligning to grid, but nothing happened. I tried making a separate Style sheet for the headline and copy separately, but I don't see where I can make the baseline grid option in stylesheets. I'm lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 11:37 AM   in reply to barnicles00

Does this help:

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 11:54 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Oh man, I don't want to sound dumb....too late, but no, I still don't understand because I tried that and then figured it must not be it because it didn't do anything. I can't ******* believe CS4 doesn't have this simple and basic feature??!! Major failure.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2009 1:43 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Nohjekim wrote:

To Peter...

Point the normal selection tool over the little box in the top center of the text frame and position it so that a up down arrow appears.  You should be able to drag the top of the frame up and down.

I guess I always use independent frames, I place the text and allow it to flow using "Smart text flow" so that I can manage the columns separately.

My main business anymore (I'm 71 and sort of retired, at least I don't have to go into the office anymore) is designing and updating menus for a number of restaurants in the Midwest.

Any way since I'm always inserting graphics etc into the text I find it easier to use the text in separate flowed frames.

Mike

Mike, perhaps we're miscommunicating here. Your earlier response seemed to be related to Scott's post, and the other Peter was having trouble. I presumed he was following Scott's advice to put the headline in the first column in the same frame with the body copy. In that context, it is not possible to adjust the frame height of a multi-column frame to move the text down inthe second column without also affecting the first. I'm sorry if that was not clear.

Straddle heads are always a challenge, whether you put them in a table or a separate frame. If you use threaded text and do any editing you'll almost certainly need to go back and adjust frames to get the heads back where they belong. There is currently no really good way to handle them in ID, but it has been a frequent request.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 8:38 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi

Yes I guess we aren't talking about the same thing.

As I said I always use smart text flow so that I can insert graphics, subheads etc. and let the text adjust accordingly.

I didn't realize he was talking about putting both columns in the same text box, I don't think I have ever done it that way.

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points