Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Font rendering or scaling issue in Illustrator - irregular letter heights

Dec 6, 2009 9:00 AM

I get a strange kind of scaling problem for some fonts in Illustrator as well as Photoshop.

For example here is Helvetica Neue Light at 18px. You can see that the letters 'r' and 'v' are the wrong height:

font-issue.png

At font sizes above 18px I don't get a problem.

In non-Adobe programs (e.g. Textedit) the font renders OK at all font sizes.

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2009 9:49 AM   in reply to Ben Hayes

soup,

It looks like a free font that does not work properly owing to some corruption or error.

Illy is more particular than (most) other applications.

Probably, the best option is simply to find an alternative that works.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 10:06 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

It looks like a free font that does not work properly owing to some corruption or error.

Jacob,

OP said font was Helvetica Neue Light. Unlikely to be free Probably corrupted as you also suggested?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 12:13 PM   in reply to shunithD

Shunith,

If you google helvetica neue light free, the first link seems to lead to a free download of a font with the contracted name HelveticaNeue Light, legal or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2009 12:46 PM   in reply to Ben Hayes

soup,

If you google OS X font and OS X fonts, some further links may be worth looking at. One of them is called OS X font repair. It also seems that there are forums discussing messed fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Ben Hayes

I'm seeing this issue with CS6 and Helvetica Neue 16pt. You might think that font rendering would be something that Illustrator would do well but appaernetly you'd be wrong. The first post here is 2.5 years old and this is still a problem. So this will never be fix. Thanks Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Beeblebrox37

Looks like this affects only Helvetica Neue and it's broken in Photoshop as well as in Illustrator. But apparently it's only broken when it is rendered in a kind of Pixel preview. Now what TextEdit or other Office Software does, has not much to do with Pixel preview. So the comparison doesn't mean anything. The font may still be wrong although font software doesn't find anything.

I don't assume that all of your fonts look that way, or do they? So maybe you'd also want to tell Apple. Just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Yes it's only Helvetica Neue. But this isn't an uncomon font, and it's only adobe that is rendering it poorly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to Beeblebrox37

Have you tried any other image editing software than Photoshop?

I have. And I can at least reproduce this in Graphic Converter. You might want to test e.g. Gimp and I strongly guess that you will get the same results.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to Ben Hayes

I realize this is an old thread, but I still ran into this issue today in CS6. Here's the solution: set the anti-aliasing method to Crisp instead of Sharp in the Character Panel. Alternatively, you can also choose Art Optimized (Supersampling) as the Anti-Aliasing method when you export as PNG.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 12:39 AM   in reply to Citizen Legacy

Yep this is an incredibly annoying Adobe problem - and definitely not just with Helvetica. It's a lot of fonts at a lot of sizes - especially smaller sizes. It also happens with acrobat reader, whereas if you use apple preview the fonts render fine. Totally odd and disappointing.

A somewhat decent workaround I've found is to add a rasterize live effect to the text. This can also help with small text on curved paths  - at angles - and also when you resize/rotate/modify an imported image to prevent it from looking like crap. Why it isn't just done automatically I don't know - but I'm happy to have discovered a temp work around at least.

Hope that helps!

//jayse

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points