• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reduce file size in Illustrator CS4?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
I'm having troubles with the size of my files in Illustrator CS4, My files always ends with sizes near 100mb!
I made some tests:
Create a new doc (7x5 cm), type some text, save: 1mb
Place an image (PSD file: 12mb), save without embedding: 8mb
Embedd the psd file, save: 16mb
Delete psd image, and place JPG (2,5mb), save without embedding: 8mb
Embedd the JPG, save: 15mb
I0m using the save with compression option.
If I uncheck the compatibility with PDF, then my file goes from 15mb to 8mb, but it's too big anyway, my image is only 2,5mb!

I don't know, I think I'm doing something wrong or illustrator is the most inefficient program that I ever use.
Why if my file without the image is only 1mb, and my JPG only 2,5mb, when I put them together the .AI goes to 15mb???? that's 500% the real size of my files!

Please I need help with this.
THANKS !
enrique.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing a Save As and overwrite the file. There is a history component in the PDF portion of the file that is only cleared with a Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally when you save an Illustrator file as an AI file you save two copies of the file. One is the fully editable Illustrator file, one is a PDF version of the file for compatibility with your OS’s previewing abilities, Photoshop, and InDesign. If you don’t need that functionality you can turn off Create PDF Compatible File. If there are many linked raster files, that can make a huge difference, because the data that’s linked in the AI portion of the file must be embedded to work in the PDF part. Definitely link raster elements when using Illustrator.

There’s a canned action called "Delete Unused Panel Items”. Run that action and unused symbols, brushes, graphic styles, and swatches will be stripped from the file, which can cull about 1 MB from a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you have is a nasty bug that Adobe refuses to fix. Your computer is fine, your files are too. Just a nasty bug.

If you open and save the files in CS2, CS3 or any older version you will see that your files are Ok.

Adobe does not provide updates, just sells you the new version with new bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jenryp wrote:

Hi!
I'm having troubles with the size of my files in Illustrator CS4, My files always ends with sizes near 100mb!
I made some tests:
Create a new doc (7x5 cm), type some text, save: 1mb
Place an image (PSD file: 12mb), save without embedding: 8mb
Embedd the psd file, save: 16mb
Delete psd image, and place JPG (2,5mb), save without embedding: 8mb
Embedd the JPG, save: 15mb
I0m using the save with compression option.
If I uncheck the compatibility with PDF, then my file goes from 15mb to 8mb, but it's too big anyway, my image is only 2,5mb!

I don't know, I think I'm doing something wrong or illustrator is the most inefficient program that I ever use.
Why if my file without the image is only 1mb, and my JPG only 2,5mb, when I put them together the .AI goes to 15mb???? that's 500% the real size of my files!

Please I need help with this.
THANKS !
enrique.

Think about it for a minute and you might find the answer yourself?  Ok perhaps it has something to do with the fact that a 2.5 mb jpeg, which is a compressed file size, is something like a 15 MB uncompressed file. I know but it is a compressed file but Illustrator has to uncompress it and make it pdf compatible turn off the pdf compatible option and see what happens.

I just tried it myself and sure enough a 4.1 jpeg place in AI makes the file 13.1 MB the uncompressed image is 15.8 MB

without pdf compatible the 4.1 mb file in AI is now a 1.1 MB file.

It makes sense to me perhaps if you think about it it might make sense to you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me see, I have a CS3 file with a linked photoshop file in layers:

Illustrator CS3 (7.3 MB)

Photoshop file in layers (106.2MB)

I saved the file with embedded photoshop (flatten) and I even convert all the fonts to outline and I got a file of 13.5MB. (Using CS3 with no special plug-ins, actions, different settings, etc.)

Is my computer using magic? or perhaps is a CS4 BUG!

Adobe is going from bad to worse. Where is the CS4 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at what you wrote and described that would be about the same thing you would get in CS4 except you are comparing apples with

steel beams.

Now you and I know that a photoshop file with layers can easily be 103 MB and flatten be 13.5 MB so if you place the flatten version this is expected in both versions however a

compressed jpeg place in Illustrator has to uncompressed in order to work with pdf compatibility.

It was a good try but I don't really think anyone is buying this Hans.

However on a brighter side of the German landscape I will be having my first image reproduced in one of your really fine architecture publications called Architektur and Wohnen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is easy to proof, use the same JPEG files but using illustrator CS3 or older version. You will see the difference.

CS4 is the version of excuses (the font you have for the last 100 years is corrupted in this CS4 version, Or is not CS4 Memory bug, you need to buy 3000GB of memory for the program to work, etc.)

Where is the CS4 update?

And congratulation on your publication on Architektur & Wohnen, is only €7.50 a magazine. Please let me know which issue so I can buy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good try no one is buying it unless you have some consistent facts which you do not mixing information is not helping the op so coo lit it is bordering on abuse Hans.

The OpP wants to know why a jpeg is doing this and I gave them the answer, just because you want and desire it to be something different is no reason to confuse the issue

and inject this into ever thread that has nothing to do with your silliness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines