• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 8 not starting up in Windows 7 (64-bit)

Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 8 installed without any warnings on a new machine (Lenovo X301) running Windows 7 64-bit. But, unfortunately the software does not run. After clicking the executable, I see a 32-bit Framemaker task running in the task manager, but nothing appears on the screen.

The pdf maker seems to work fine.
Any ideas?
Thx,
Boris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try setting the FM exe compatibility settings to XP or Vista?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I haven't. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Boris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured this out now... The program runs fine in Win 2000 compatibility mode.

Thanks!

Boris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share your solution with the forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

Navigate with the file explorer to the directory in which the FrameMaker executable lives (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\FrameMaker8). Right-click the executable file FrameMaker.exe and hit Properties. Click Compatibility, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 2000.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I wonder why this is required. I've been using FM 8 and FM 9 on 64-bit Vista without compatibility settings. My Windows user has administrator rights on the local machine. Could that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have admin rigths on the machine where I observed the problem. The program worked only after setting the compatibility mode for me with Win 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm,

Frame 8 acts like it's running on Win7 (64) but it keeps crashing. I'll have to try the compatibility thing to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FM 8 used to crash a lot on my Vista machine. Things improved after installing every available patch. Don't know whether that helps on Windows 7 (or whether there are still new patches for FM 8) - it helped on Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines