Skip navigation
HoudiniSwe
Currently Being Moderated

Imported SWF background turns red (CP4)

Dec 16, 2009 1:22 AM

Hey, guys.

 

I'm working on an e-learning project which requires me to embed an interactive swf file in my Captivate project.

 

It all works out fine except that the background of the swf turns red. I have tried a few things with the embedded swf in my attempts to make it work.

 

1. I placed a white box below all other elements. It did not work.

2. Turned the box into a movie clip. It did not work.

3. I noticed that the embedded image elements kept their backgrounds so I made a white png image and place it below all other elements. No change.

 

Please see the attached image. If anyone have any idea of what may cause this and how to solve the problem, please share!

Attachments:
 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2009 1:48 AM   in reply to HoudiniSwe

    Hi there,

     

    If the SWF background turns red when you just view the file in Flash Player then this might mean that the SWF is taking up too much memory. The other thing you could do is check in the source FLA file that using the Flash Timeline, you have hidden any layers that you don't want published and make sure that the Flash Publish settings option "Include hidden layers" has not been accidentally selected.

     

    Let us know how you get on.

     

    Best - Mark

     

    Visit the macrofireball blog
     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 16, 2009 6:58 AM   in reply to HoudiniSwe

    LOL! I would have to surmise that this situation was quite literally a "Red Herring"!

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring


    Cheers... Rick

     

     

    Helpful and Handy Links

    Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

    Adobe Certified Captivate Training

    SorcerStone Blog

    Captivate eBooks

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2009 12:57 AM   in reply to HoudiniSwe

    Delighted to hear that you managed to squash this gremlin. :-)

     

    Best - Mark

     

    Visit the macrofireball blog
     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2009 12:16 PM   in reply to HoudiniSwe

    I'm having the same issue but none of the solutions described here work.  My red screen appears at a specific point in the animation--when we show circles on specific parts of a piece of equipment.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2009 2:06 PM   in reply to Itzelm

    Hi there

     

    Does it begin by displaying some red blocks, then continue until the whole screen turns red and it remains that way? If so, you are likely seeing memory exhausted. Otherwise known as the "Red Screen Of Death". If that's the case, I'm guessing there is a lot of Full Motion Video clips?

     

    Cheers... Rick

     

     

    Helpful and Handy Links

    Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

    Adobe Certified Captivate Training

    SorcerStone Blog

    Captivate eBooks

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2009 6:44 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

    No. That's not the behavior.

     

    The animation plays fine to begin with. The animation show a piece of equipment. Then it zooms in and highlight parts of the equipment by showing some yellow outlines.  It is at this point that the jpg showing the equipment is replaced with the red background on top of which, we can see the yellow outlines.  Then as the animation progresses, the red background disappears. This behavior ONLY happens when the movie is inside Captivate. Have no idea of what's happening.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 19, 2009 1:47 AM   in reply to Itzelm

    Hi there,

     

    If this is happening when you view the published Captivate project file, then you might want to try publishing again but this time externalizing the animation. You can do this by selecting the option I have highlighed in the screen shot below.

     

    Preferences_dialog_animation.png

     

     

    If that does not solve the problem and you can spare the time, I would suggest that you report this bug to the Captivate team. You can do this by clicking on the Feature Request / Bug Report link which can be found in the Useful Links pod of the Adobe Captivate forum web page.

     

    Best - Mark

     

    Visit the macrofireball blog

     

    Best - Mark

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2009 6:22 AM   in reply to macrofireball

    HI Mark, externalizing resources work. Hum..., what was the problem? I have not had to that before, only with this particular animation.

     

    Anyway, it worked.

     

    Have a great holiday.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2010 3:42 PM   in reply to HoudiniSwe

    I've seen this odd behavior before when taking Illustrator files with clipping masks and importing them into flash. All of a sudden there are red boxes everywhere. Using .PNG or .JPG didn't produce the same result.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points