• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find and Replace in HTML crashes RoboHelp HTML

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to do a Find and Replace in the HTML view, RH HTML crashes. Has anyone else seen this? I have both patches applied and am working in XP with 4 gigs of memory.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2008 Jun 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William!

Is it possible for you to provide us the search or find string that you are using - there could be a character specifc problem. Adobe team will be gald to help you.

Regards,
Pooja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to replace parameters in a tag.

Find
padding: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt

Replace with
padding: 3pt 5.4pt 3pt 5.4pt

This has happened before with other parameter replacements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is part of a table definition and I am wondering if perhaps you are amending part only and confusing the life out of RH.

I would take a table before the amendment and copy the definition. Then amend just that table using functionality within RH. Finally copy the new definition and compare the two.

Is your replace the only change RH would make?

I also notice that you are changing from a mix of inches and points to just points. Maybe that is worth checking as well.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, it works fine when I do it manually or do a Find and then click Replace. It only crashes when I click Replace all (which I should have noted earlier). I have found this consistent within the HTML view for these complex items. I can Replace all on regular text or simple elements without a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware that the RH Find/Replace does not do multiple lines or extra spaces? Depending on the rest of the code that precedes these values, you might find that you have to do them manually because some values have wrapped to the next line. Either that, or find a more robust tool like FAR or BK ReplaceEm.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello William!

Thanks for the Find straing! At Adobe, we have tried to recreate the scenario with the exact string and as well as mutations of it but RH HTML did not crash. If you are still facing this problem, our suggestion would be to break down the string in two parts and then use Replace all functionality.

Regards,
Pooja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 9 has crashed several times as I've been using Find and Replace in Files.  I am rebranding our user docs and replacing such text as product names using a variable like this:

<?rh-udv_start name="company_product_name_track-it" ?>BMC Track-It!<?rh-udv_end ?>

I'm searching for the product name that does not yet have a variable with Find and Replace in Files, and replacing it with the variable code.

The crash first occurred only when I clicked Replace All.  Then I accidentally clicked it and it crashed again.  Is there a specific problem with using variables with the Find and Replace in Files feature>

Thanks.

Gina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It crashed again, but this time when I tried to generate the Webhelp:

Error:  Unhandled exception at 0xccccffff in RoboHTML.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xccccffff.

My files are in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 source control, and I haven't had problems like this before I tried to use variables with Find and Replace in Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Health warning: I don't use source control.

Could it be the find and replace is trying to work on files you have not checked out?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No...all the files are checked out (only to me).

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I might have to contact support.  I just tried this:

Copied my RoboHelp source files from Windows Explorer to another folder and removed Read Only. 

Tried to generate WebHelp.

Got this error:

Thanks!

Gina

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: RoboHTML.exe

Application Version: 9.0.2.271

Application Timestamp: 4ede0156

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: b640e9cc

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm chatting with Support now and will post the outcome.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

If they do not give an immediate answer, try in another project next.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I reported this to Adobe support almost 3 weeks ago with a bronze (email) support contract and there is still no resolution.  I tried this in other projects and it works fine.  I FTPd my project to Adobe 2 weeks ago and they haven't been able to resolve the problem.  (They haven't said whether or not they could reproduce the problem.)

I rolled back the changes I had in source control and now just got the same appcrash error trying to use the Edit > Find and Replace in Files feature.  This is so frustrating because I have to rebrand several RoboHelp projects with hundreds of topics each.  I'm having to go file by file to find and replace text.

I haven't had this problem in the 11 years I've been using RoboHelp.  Very strange.

Thanks.

Gina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to go back to the beginning

You search for

BMC Track-It!

and replace with

<?rh-udv_start name="company_product_name_track-it" ?>BMC Track-It!<?rh-udv_end ?>

Correct?

I have recently done the same thing and it worked without any problems.

Do you have Rh on a machine away from the office?

• If you do, try it there. I have had people tell me their project was checked out but when it is sent to me, the project is still looking for the source control.
  • If you do not, can you share the project with me? Please do not send just yet. Post back first.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I'm not trying to replace the text with a variable now.  I am just searching for Track-It! and replacing it with BMC Track-It!.  I have tried it on a different computer where I had checked in all the files, then copied the project to an external hard drive and opened it, with the same problems.  This is project specific -- it's not happening with my other projects. I can't share the project unfortunately.  I really appreciate your help though.

Gina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there's something messed up in just this project - what about doing a FAR outside of RH as a quicker workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I haven't used FAR.  Any tips before I search for it and try to use it?

Thanks.

Gina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I just meant an external Find and Replace (FAR) program; not any specific one. There's a whole bunch out there. Just make sure that you've got a copy of your project zipped up as a backup - FAR programs can make things go sideways real fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gina

In the other projects, is the search for the same string?

Regardless, I agree with Jeff that using some other tool may solve your problem provided you can back out if things go wrong. Presumably you would just discard what you have checked out and start over as you have source control.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe support got back to me.  There was something wrong with one or more of the variables.  They were able to reproduce the problem.  We don't know, though, which of the variables was causing the crash and why.  I deleted the variables and selected the option to convert the variables to text. Now the Find and Replace in Files works. I only tested Replace, not Replace All in File or Replace All in the Find and Replace in Files dialog.  But this will work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp