Skip navigation
Pera Tut
Currently Being Moderated

dreamweaver template update ftp files without synchronizing

Dec 23, 2009 10:48 AM

Today I change Template - Update all files based on the template - synchronize entire site.

What I Like to do: change Template - Update all files based on the template

and then in the same window button with ftp upload changed files!

Why do I want this:

• The synchronization can take time on big sites, I have cms and billing system on my site with many files.
  • The synchronization can take time on slow connection.
  • When the time betwen two synchronization is to small Dreamweaver select all files (or many) for synchronization. I do not know if this is only my problem (maybe there is different time on my computer and the server?).

Do we have solution for this today?

Or can this be something to suggest for next version?

Thanks for any suggestion

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 23, 2009 12:44 PM   in reply to Pera Tut

Not sure if there is anything set up in DW yet, it does give a status window of what files were updated, you could possibly work backwards form that list (still a bit cumbersome). I also believe that if you change the template and upload it to your server, it will prompt you as to whether or not you'd like to "include dependant files", and (in theory) it will also upload the files linked associated with it... but that may need to be tested to see how well it works on a larger site.

As a possible alternative, you could use "Server Side Includes" - which is a single file which contains a portion of your page (the top navigation, footer area, etc.), and any page that uses this element will automatically update when you upload just that one element. Here is a link which explains it better: http://www.smartwebby.com/web_site_design/server_side_includes.asp and there are several others on the web that offer more detailed explainations - one caveat is that the web server you use would need to be set up to accept SSI... most do, but something you'd need to look into beforehand...

Hope that helps,

Jesse

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2010 2:54 PM   in reply to Pera Tut

The solution is to make a ftp queue file for FileZilla based on the logfile from the template changes.

Check out my php script for Dreamweaver logfiles. It creates FileZilla XML queue files

http://flashdictionary.filomatic.de/php/php_xml/xml_example_03.php

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 5:42 AM   in reply to Pera Tut

You can use EDIT | Select recently modified files, to find those files.  But the granularity is only per day, so it's not very specific, i.e., you can select files modified within the last day but not within the last hour.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 7:29 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Right, inside the FILES window you also have a menu.
    I never saw it before. Very nice that it also can select newer files on the remote server
    The advantage of using FileZilla is the multiple connections feature for uploading files very fast.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points