Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS3 AHHHHHHH!

Dec 12, 2007 1:20 AM

I am having a few issues to say the least with Indesign CS3.

I have intel mac with the dual x 2 2.66 with 2g ram. running leopard.

I have been running CS3 for about a month now, and tried quite a few things to sort the problems. I have downloaded all the latest drivers/updates.

I have check the forums and some of these issues have been brought up before, but I could see and solutions as of yet. Also never seen anyone with all the same issues that I have.

I still have indesign CS1 on the system, and if I open up older documents in that I do not have any of the following problems.

Firstly.

I have a Xerox Docucolor 240 with Fiery Rip.
The problem is that if I have a job set up landscape in CS3, when I print it out, (as before in CS1 in would automatically rotate the image to fit the paper) but now in CS3 the job comes out on a sheet the portrait with half the image missing off the right-hand side.

I have a DPX System CTP - Computer to Plate System with harlequin ripmate.
The problem is that I send jobs through for the printers to make the plates. What used to happen when I ran CS1 and still does in CS1 is that the job would go through for the appropriate press. It would go into the job queue and wait until the printer need them and then they outputted them. It was nice and easy because the queue would have the job name and the pantone number as the file reference. But now using indesign CS3 the file name has been replaced with the press name, so if there are lots of files through for the same press the printer has to spend half his time check each job until he find the one he need.

Thirdly, and this is not to do with a printer, but it still annoying.
When I print out a document, I might only be printing page 1 of a multi page document, so what I do is print one copy of page one just to check that the document is. Then if everything was ok I would just press print and quickly enter the quantity and then print. Now after I have printed the proof page it resets the page range and if I forget (which does sometimes happen) I get all the pages. AHHH!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2007 5:38 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    Do you have these problems using CS 3 under Tiger?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 6:34 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    Have you installed the 5.0.1 update?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 7:14 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    Bob's suggestion was a good one since there were a number of Intel-Mac printing problems that were addressed in the 5.0.1 update. Some other issues were left unresolved - possibly yours first two issues as well. Can you test them on a PPC Mac? (I'm not suggesting that this would be a solution for you if it works, but it may be a valuable bit of diagnostics.)

Have you contacted the RIP vendors? I seem to recall that EFI had released a new PPD or driver for some of their stuff that fixed some of these issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 7:48 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    >It is just CS3 that I get the issues.

And, it may (or may not) be just on MacTel.

In any case, I'd suggest filing a bug report with Adobe AND the vendors (including EFI, not just Xerox).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 7:50 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    It just occurred to me that you might try running InDesign CS3 under Rosetta emulation, which ought to show if it's a MacTel problem or not. If it works, it's probably not a good workaround due to the performance hit you'll probably take running it in emulation, but it would be an interesting test.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 8:35 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    The page number thing seems to be the new default of CS3, does it on my WinXP as well. I don't like it either, but being more careful is the only advice I can give, I do not know of anyway to change as it's part of the programing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 8:45 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    At least CS3 still lists the pages previously printed--you just have to remember to select "range." CS2 didn't even remember the pages, so CS3 has improved even if it still doesn't behave as CS1 did.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 5:58 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    I am having the same problem printing from CS3. It is now June 2008 and this was posted in Dec. 07. Have there been any fixes? Any help is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 8:16 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    Have you tried using Page Setup within the print dialogue (even though it warns you not to). We have an Intel Mac in our studio and that was the only way for it to print to our Docucolour 250 (using the 'Direct' or the 'Print' Driver)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 10:32 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    I have a similar machine configuration and have had many issues printing to an HP 9500mfp. Pages rotate, mirror, 2-sided both print on same side. I've lost the "bookletmake" function. Jobs will not recognize paper trays (meaning I have to manually tell it which paper tray holds the tabloid stock). I've tried using the "Page Setup" dialog box to no avail. On occasion, I can get some of the features to work with a pdf printing from Acrobat. Sometimes, that doesn't work either - never with any kind of predictability. Printing to the HP 4700 is more reliable. I've downloaded the updated "Leopard" compatible driver from HP, but it fixed no issues. When I tried contacting tech support for HP, the replied that this is an OS issues and not with equipment, leaving me SOL.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 2:05 PM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    What happens if you use a GIMP print driver? Can you print to PDF and then print from that successfully? Is this an Adobe issue? Can you print from word or QX if you have it?

May seem like a small thing but quit all applications before installing any print drivers. Run Disk Utility and reboot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 8:00 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)
    The page range thing appeared in CS2. That's what I'm still using, and it defaults to 'all pages' every bloomin' time, whatever I'm printing to. Infuriating.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2009 9:45 AM   in reply to (jrich_aim06)

I've had a similar problem printing landscape tabloid (11x17) using the Docucolor 240 with the Fiery software version 1.1 and Illustrator CS3. After countless searches on the net,  trying to find a solution from Xerox, and no avail, I deleted the Docucolor as an Appletalk printer, and set it up using the printer as a Windows printer (not Appletalk) using the Xerox Docucolor driver. Now there are no problems, and I still have all the printer features!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 2:49 AM   in reply to j malloy

Just had our entire software upgraded to CS4 and we are getting the same problem through our RIP too. Has anyone heard or come up with any solutions? seems to have our RIP suppliers and everyone else involved either blaming everyone else or not knowing what or how the problem can be sorted

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 6:36 AM   in reply to Gary Barton

Gary, please start a new thread.

Your problem seems to be with CS4, not CS3, and there are so many problems listed in this thread, and you've been vague about exactly which ones you are having, so it's impossible to know how to answer. Give a complete description of your equipment (printer and computer) and the patch level of CS4, along with what you expect and what you get instead.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)