• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make PDF pages flip horizontally like a book?

Participant ,
Dec 28, 2009 Dec 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple pages in a pdf file get scrolled down vertically. Is there anyway to make pages flip horizontally like a book?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScreenSnapz.png

Go to the View Menu/ Choose Two-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still scrolls vertically. viewing 2 up simply shows 2 pages side by side but to see the enxt you have to scroll down.

Is there any way to flip through pages horizontally one by one.

this is for an ebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried for curiosity. And tried all the settings. and it doesn't exactly do what he wants. It does show two pages at a time. But what he wants is the page to turn like flipping pages in a book,  or slide sideways, if I understand his question.

But in trying I found some interesting way of viewing PDF's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelKazlow wrote:

ScreenSnapz.png

Go to the View Menu/ Choose Two-up.

didn't work out for me, neither. I would appreciate it if anyone offers open source for PDF Page Flip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be trying to do more than you can, especially if your understanding of Acrobat is limited.

First, the effect that you are trying to achieve is called a "Page Turn." From everything I know, there isn't any way to get that effect in an actual PDF document.

The only way I know to do that is to convert your PDF file into a Flash (swf) document. There the Page Turn transition is easy to create.

I create these Flash documents using the Export as SWF feature in InDesign. However, there are quite a few third-party products that will convert your PDF into a Flash document. (Ironically this is not something that native Adobe products do.)

But remember, the final document will not be a PDF. People will have to have the Flash Reader, not the Adobe Reader, to open the file.

It might be a good idea to look at how the final document will be distributed and played, before you decide on a transition effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can look around to see if anything is available that you like (I don't think the exact action you want is available) under Advanced>

Document Processing>Page transitions.

Keep in mind that they only work when the PDF is being viewed in full screen. You can set it to open that way in File>Properties>Initial view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.

I'll check out the advanced settings.

Pretty surprising you can't do this being tha most ebooks are in pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 16, 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use InDesign CS4 (or 5) to create your layout, this may interest you:

http://indesignsecrets.com/adding-zoom-and-print-to-indesign-swf-files.php

Not PDF, but very easy way to get pageturn effect + other controls to your publication... and by the way, Flash Player is installed to 99% of all computers which are connected to internet: http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Petteri_Paananen wrote:

and by the way, Flash Player is installed to 99% of all computers which are connected to internet: http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

But don't count on anyone using an Apple made portable device (iPad, iPod...etc) viewing the finished product in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Apple is not happpy with Adobe Flash and PDF's as well. There are some long standing bugs related to Office Products and chopping up PDF's into multiple PDFs if there are any Page, and section breaks. That has been going on since the 90's.What's this got to do with Adobe or Apple, well Adobe blames Apple, MS blames Adobe, and Adobe provides the pdf engine technology for OSX. I'm inclined to go along with apple onand MS this. (Not I am not a Lover of MS.) WE had the same split up of PDF's when Apple was using C++, C+, and objective-C in OS9 and lower. We had the problem then. MS hasn't change the code on MS from Office 4.2 (word 95/Excel95) to Office 2004 except for GUI changes and bug fixes. Only has MS chnged to XML based in 2007/2008

Flash Content on Mac tend to stutter and constant load pieces. And when orginally asked to come up with flash for Mobile phones by Apple and other phone makers, Adobe said they couldn't do it or couldn't be bothered. So Naturally Apple is a little teed off with Adobe. It's a Curosity that when Adobe started up, they got their start selling Mac only products. ATM and Acrobat, MS wouldn't even consider. Now, we  Apple users seem to get the shorter end of the deal. Feature by feature in each program should be exact parity. In Apple products there might be maybe one or two features that are missing on PC side. On the other hand, on PC side there may be a dozen or more features not available on Mac.One glaring example is allow Mac version to create XML based PDF's THat's only available on PC side.

One feature, not availble on Mac is when Word or Excel documents contain hot links (URLS/Mailto:) when converted to PDF they carry over to the PDF document. When questioned the party line is That the Mac version office doesn't provide the hooks to make it work. When you go to office support groups and talk with MS employees that are on some of the support groups, they say that is  a lot of stuff that comes out the south end of cow faceing north. That withe exception of the USER interface and a device called MasterPages in the PC version the code is identical. Its a some screen for not want to fix a bug they can't figure out on Adobe's Part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF itself is more like a readable file than a page flip book. While, Flash files support that kinda animated effect.

To make page flip book from PDF, I reommend this one http://www.pdf-to-flash-magazine.com/ ,  Both free online conversion and offline software download are offered, not to mention the wonderful page-flip effect they made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer page flip effect, other than reading horizontally. Harley Truby's site is a good one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sure that the link was valid when first supplied, now it links to a Japanese English learning service.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try something like a PDF to Flash Magazine converter,  You can take advantage of a good and mature software instead of developing one yourself.

Still, some open sources for page flip which had great use in animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines