• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player on Ubuntu DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY!!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2009 Dec 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIRST IT'S ***********REALLY*********** DIFFICULT TO INSTALL FLASH PLAYER (WHY DON'T ADOBE ALLOW FLASHPLAYER TO BE INCLUDED IN LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS AND BE UPDATED AUTOMATICALLY??????????).

I CAN'T PLAY FLASH GAMES, I CAN'T ADD ANNOTATIONS TO MY YOUTUBE UPLOADS.

ADOBE FLASH PLAYER **IS** INSTALLED PROPERLY AND PLAYS YOUTUBE VIDEOS, BUT ADOBE FLASH PLAYER IS CONSTANTLY MISBEHAVING.  I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER FLASH PLAYERS INSTALLED.

SORT IT OUT COS I'M NOT USING M$ WINDOWS AND DON'T WANT TO - EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also don't understand why Linux users are not allowed to buy Adobe software for their platform?  Linux users can't use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and so on and so on.  Look at the system requirements and you will see they only support Windows or MAC.  I really hope Adobe staff are reading this because they are missing out on loads of money because they don't allow Linux users to purchase their products.  Do Microsoft have shares in Adobe?  I wonder!!

I've not had *any* luck from my past threads, so now I'm REALLY angry and it's about time we stand up and stop these monopolies e.g. Flash Player, Windows etc. and win our freedom from anti-competitive behaviour.  I love Ubuntu and I have the same rights to use Flash Player, BBC iPlayer (which doesn't work either with Adobe's "Air" or "Flash Player") - I have the same rights as a Windows user and a Mac user.

Yes, I do have 64-bit Ubuntu, but I know that other people with 32-bit Ubuntu are having problems with Adobe's Flash player and can't get BBC iPlayer working, even though Adobe Air is installed.

SORT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is a solution, make it easy instead of a zillion complicated steps to follow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you stop using uppercase letters, and not using so many "!" and "?" and those red words maybe I can give a sollution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very nicely explained to Adobe the problems with Flash player, but NOTHING has been done.  In Windows, if you open YouTube and want to install Adobe's Flash player, you can.  In Ubuntu, you can't.  Why?  I know you can easily make programs that can install in Linux, in the same manner as Windows - that is download and run, then the program is installed.

We have no choice with monopolies, we have no choice when petrol prices go up, we have no choice any more... so now people like myself are finally getting angry and saying "enough".

If people don't demand change, then everyone would bury their heads in the sand and nothing would change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a problem don't write as you did. You will be ignored.

Yes there is a big problem with Flash-plugin nobody knows about, I reported it on three places but nobody knew the answer.

At last I reported it in https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-3532 (you need another account to view that),

and someone has been assigned to solve this bug.

In the meantime you can use opensource: gnash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

not that hard, you get flash and all kinds of extra goodies...  It's one of the first things I do after installing ubuntu.

Now, your flash performance may vary depending on your hadrware and video drivers.  I recently did some comparisons and it seems that the website your are visiting my affect your flash performance as well.  What I found through my limited research, is that some flash content runs multi-threaded if you have a multi core cpu, but only in windows.  In linux, it only runs on one core.

If the website content isn't coded to run multi-threaded (super laymans understanding of things), then the linux flash runs pretty good.  For example, on a handfull of dual boot machines I've set up, I don't see any noticalbe difference between linux and windows playing youtube full screen videos or games on teagames.com.  I'll even go so far as to say teagames.com plays faster in ubuntu on my desktop pc (nvidia 9600gt + proprietary drivers, 3hz core 2 duo) than when booted into vista.

Oh- one other tip that *might* help (made a massive difference for me), open a site w/ flash content, right click on the flash content and select settings, then disable hardware acceleration. Before doing that, youtube and teagames were unusable, and now they kick butt.

BM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, appreciate the support.

I've tried turning off hardware acceleration by right-clicking the flash video and turning it off, but the problems are still occuring.

I still can't add annotations to my uploaded YouTube videos.

I'm using 64-bit Ubuntu, perhaps Adobe Flash doesn't like 64-bits, or don't that matter?

PS. I recommend an "Open Video" standard be created to replace the propriety Flash Player video format.  I'm aware that having an "open" standard with "open source" code allows any programmer with the right knowledge to fix problems as soon as they're discovered.  We already have "open" standards e.g. Ogg Vorbis as an alternative to MP3, OpenDocument instead of the .doc format and so on.

I really hope this idea spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Adobe 64bit flash plugin?  As I understand it, the default is to use the 32 bit flash plugin on 64bit systems with (don't quote me) a ndispluginwrapper to make it all happy.  You can uninstall the 32 bit falsh plugin in instal lthe 64bit version from the adobe site (it's an alpha, I think, but works good).  There are a lot of threads on this topic on the ubuntu forums.  It is supposed to be better...

You have to download the tar.gz file, and extract it, and move the libflashplayer.so file to the appropriate mozilla/plugins directory.  I you put it in the one in your home directory ~/.mozilla/plugisn (again, dont' quote me) it will only work for your user, but you can move it (w/ root privelages) to the /user/lib/mozilla/plugins (one more time, recalling from memory) and it will work for all users.  I did this about a month ago, it wasn't hard to do- you just need to make sure you download the proper plugin.  Since it's an alpha release, it's not super easy to find on the adobe site.

Sorry I couldn't give more specific instructios- but google around, the information is out there.

Good luck,

BM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about: command not found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have 32-bit Ubuntu installed, you just need to go into the "Ubuntu Software Center/Centre" and install the "restricted extras".

If you have 64-bit Ubuntu, follow the steps in this link - read the bottom section if you don't like using the Terminal:

http://nxadm.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/install-64-bit-adobe-flash-player-on-ubuntu-904/

Firefox and Google Chrome (or Chromium) will now work properly with Flash Player, using just that one file.

If you are unsure if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu installed, go into the terminal and type uname -a

then press Enter key.

If you see "x86_64" then you have 64-bit Ubuntu and need to follow the steps in that link above to get the 64-bit Flash.

Why don't Adobe advise users like I've just done here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32-bit Ubuntu, and I've installed "restricted extras" and my software manager confirms I have the most up-to-date version of Flash Player.

BUT most websites I've tried on Mozilla Firefox (also the latest version) STILL won't display any Flash content and instead display the message "Please install the latest version of Flash Player" with a link to the Flash for linux download page. I've installed, reinstalled, removed, etc. a bunch of times, and all the web browsers I've tried just won't recognize that I have the latest version already!

Any advice?

-PT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try installing Chromium from the software centre.  It's a good web browser and could solve the problem you have with Flash.

Alternatively, un-install the restricted extras, then install bleachbit and clean the cache.  When you've run bleachbit, reboot and try installing the restricted extras again.  Also check and remove any extensions in Mozilla Firefox which could be conflicting with Flash e.g. swfdec or Gnash and restrart Firefox.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I try to make Animal Jam videos or evean just play it it keeps on saying download Adobe Flash sorry if rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I totally empathize with theangel128.  I had Flash player installed already the day before last, going through hours of tutorials and learning how to open the therminal and downloading debs and using sudo commands.  What a pain in the ass!  If I wanted to be a programmer, I would have taken a course in the first place.  Moreover, using the terminal and sudo commands is not even uniform, as some apps don't even need the deb, some do and some even work with Wine.

However...

After installing iTunes and Avast, the apps never worked.  Flash Player worked fine, even tonight up to two hours ago, when as I was Stumbling around, YouTube and other sites suddenly asked me to install Flash Player.  Again?  Why?  Well, needless to say, I did it, and STILL it doesn't work!!  I have been using Ubuntu now for say...36 hours, and already I've made many complaints, the main one being I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER!!

I'll say it again: for the cost of Windows 7, I experience less headaches and more enjoyment from my PC.  I have spent several hours over the last few days learning the ins and outs of the Ubuntu system, with much headache, frustration and disappointment.  I am not alone in wanting to utilize apps I am familiar with, but which are incompatible with Linux/Ubuntu, or won't work after using the methods found in forums, or suddenly stop working after hours of research and installation.

I don't like being angry, and I don't like my hands being tied as well.  I have enough stress in my life and prefer not having something fail at the worst possible times.  What we 'non-programmers'/novices/newbies want is understanding, uniformity and simplicity.  I know it's no threat to say I still have my Windows 7 disk, and the install is easier and faster as well, but, I am saying it.  I have a top notch PC I built myself, and I've been planning on using Ubuntu for some time.  My first headaches came when I installed it, with it's lengthy install and the fact that my first full install was a failure and I had to go back to running the platform from a jump drive, which I am doing now.

I am tired and frustrated, disillusioned with this system and ready to go postal.  I know many Ubuntu advocates don't care to hear this or otherwise just ignore it, but that just adds to the already depreciating perception of Ubuntu or its spin-off platrforms the rest of us have.  I want to enjoy my PC with ease and comfort, not to have to work and study just to surf, browse, crawl or Stumble.  We can't ask for money back, but what about our time and enjoyment?

And what's with this forum?  I can't copy and paste in here!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, My comment or info is for anyone that uses Linux, not the OP only. Since this thread was brought up, I thot I'd just list some info. Whether it is helpful the Users of Linux can decide.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3477422#793232

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/791816?tstart=0

The following link is for Flash Player Square, which is a beta for support of the 64bit OS of Linux, Windows and Mac for use with the 64bit browser:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/square/

This is the Troubleshooting Guide for Flash Player in Linux & Solaris:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15397.html

This is a Linux Forum that I found while trying to help someone using Linux:

http://www.linux.com/community/forums

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks anyway guys, but I am back to Windows 7. At least I know what I'm

doing with it, and if something does eventually go wrong, it is in 6 months

and I can reinstall, rather than 6 days.

I have all the apps I require without having to find round-about ways of

installing them and everything is uniform. I wanted Ubuntu so bad and the

disappointment is even worse. One week of hell, crash-courses, frustration

and disillusionment is enough for me.

Have fun and good luck with youyr endeavours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ubuntu is not for everyone- the same is true for Windows and Mac as well...  Keep this in mind: How many years have you spent using Windows and getting proficient with it?  Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter) is not Windows, and it takes a long time to gain that same level of proficiency. You have ot make the concious desicion that you will work through the learning curve, not matter what.  Now when I have a problem on a windows computer, I'm equally frustrated when I know the fix is a lot easier in Ubuntu.

aptitude has been depracted in the newer Ubuntu releases.  My post was from quite a while ago.  apt-get is the command you want to use.  There's a long stading debate in the Ubuntu community as to what is better- aptitude or apt-get.  Apparently the folks at Cannonical are in the apt-get camp.

"sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restriced-extras"

Anyway, go with what works.  There are many of us that happily use Ubuntu on a daily basis (it's all I ever use at home) and I don't isntall it every six days- or even six months for that matter.  Once every couple of years is good with me.

BM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

speaking strictly on the OP's topic...

installing:

from my understanding we've always had an upgrade mechanism for Ubuntu.  canonical provides the deb package(s) that is used in installing the player.

player misbehaving:

it helps to enter bugs at https://bugbase.adobe.com.  there is a greater likelihood that a bug is addressed more quickly when it can be determined an injection.  the longer a bug lingers and not reported, its priority can be lowered because the issue existed over a longer period of time.  also, by entering bugs, the community can vote on the issue which can raise priority/awareness.

you stated you were on 64-bit.  at the time of your post, use of the nspluginwrapper was not stable.  the square beta would have been a good option for you.

we recently released Flash Player 11, Serrano, which does have 64-bit support.  if you haven't downloaded yet, please give it a try.

Adobe software for Linux platform:

as a linux user myself, i try to use all open source software available.  the community does a great job that there's little reason or need to buy software.

in the past, if needed, i used vmware or wine to use windows apps on my linux boxes.  this may be an option.

@John - thanks for bumping the thread.  i would have never seen this otherwise.  take care everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sound like a spoiled child. If you want Flash so bad, just keep up a secondary operating system in Windows. What the hell is Wrong with windows anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. My ubuntu installation is 13.10. Most flash videos including youtube have problems. They work but the graphic is spread, unable to even identify the objects in the video. I am still unsure whether it is caused because of flash player error or whether it has something to do with the drivers of my computer. New to Ubuntu and Iam still strugling to get going with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recognize that this is an old thread, but after reading through the discussion, I feel the need to give my two-cent opinion.

I have recently switched from Windows to Linux, and am glad that I did.

It's a fact that the Adobe Flash player isn't Linux-friendly.  Any short Internet search will prove that to anyone.  I've been using Linux Lubuntu for about two months, and I still can't play flash videos in my browser.  All solutions, that appear in forums and online articles, are outdated and don't tend to work.

I understand the frustration that any Linux user faces on this issue.  However, I refuse to go back to Windows.

The problem with Windows, or any other piece of proprietary software that a person buys, is that they will always require you to buy their latest version, whether you want to, or not.  I understand that they need to keep making money in order to stay in business.  However, it's really frustrating to buy something, own it, get familiar and used to it, and then have someone come along and tell you that you have to pay to change it.  They make the changes, and if you don't like it -- tough.  If you want to take advantage of the latest hardware, in order to increase the performance of your programs, you have to re-buy their software -- even though you already own it.  Then, when you do get it, you have to re-learn everything all over again.  It's as if someone came into your home, rearranged your furniture (making everything unfamiliar), and you simply have to deal with it.  On top of that, you pay for the change that you don't want.

The Linux philosophy is one that I agree with completely.  You bought your computer.  You should be able to make it do what you want it to do.

I use one of my computers for mathematical computation.  I recently bought a new system so that I can take advantage of the new hardware advances, and speed up my calculations.  After getting everything set up, I went to install Windows XP (The version I had been using for years).  I couldn't do it.  The new motherboard wasn't designed to work with my old version of Windows.  If I wanted to stick with Windows, I'd have to upgrade to Windows 7, or 8.  I've used both of those versions, and I don't like either of them.  They're less familiar than what I've always been using.  Windows 7 isn't THAT different from XP, but Windows 8 is completely different.  I had already spent a lot of money on new hardware.  I didn't want to spend more money on an operating system that I don't like.  Besides, all of my existing software is only compatible with Windows XP -- not the newer versions.

Luckily, I had been toying with the idea of switching to Linux.  I was using Lubuntu on one of my other machines.  Installing Lubuntu, on the new hardware, was just as easy as installing it on my old machine. Not only that, it looks the same, and behaves the same.  I didn't have to re-learn anything.  The only difference is that my programs run A LOT faster because they're running on hardware that is more advanced -- hardware that I paid for -- hardware that I own.

I won't be going back to Windows.  As my hardware needs change, Linux will continue to change in order to keep up with the advances.  But I always have a choice of which distribution I want to install, and can even contribute if I don't like the way something works.  I'm not alone in this.  There are tons of programmers out there who keep making changes to their system so that it will work with the new hardware.  They then make those updates available to everyone.  So if I want to set my system up the same way, I'm able to do it.  It's beautiful, fair and practical.

One person, in this conversation, said that they're not a programmer.  In one sense, neither am I.  I write my own programs, with a programming language that I'm familiar with, in order to tackle problems that I'm interested in.  But I didn't write the Linux software.  On that front, I'm as much in the dark as anyone else who hasn't developed it.  But I appreciate the fact that Linux developers gave us distributions like Ubuntu/Lubuntu.  They're designed for people who aren't programmers -- People who had grown used to using Windows.  It's not always as easy to set it up, sure.  But I greatly appreciate their efforts.  I also love the fact that there are countless forums with many Linux users, including programmers, who are willing to help people learn solutions to their Linux problems.

Believe me, I hear your frustration.  It took a while for me to learn how to get my Lubuntu system set up the way that I want.  But I was able to get there, due to the generous help of other users in Linux forums.  I truly appreciate them.

It's too bad that I can't watch flash videos on my Linux machine with ease.  However, I'm wiling to make that sacrifice.  The flash player isn't an operating system.  I enjoy using it, but I can learn to live without it.  There are many websites that offer videos that don't require me to use a flash player.  Those are the websites I choose to visit.  If a website won't offer their content to me as a Linux user, then that's their choice.  But I have a choice too.  I can choose to visit a different website that will.  But I'm finished paying for operating systems that I already own that contain changes that I don't want.  I'm glad that Linux gives me a choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines