Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Random Patchwork Sphere

Dec 28, 2009 3:51 PM

Resulting partially from a recent thread about drawing a sphere with randomly distributed circles on its surface:

The script has been added to the archive here.

Draw a simple circle.

Store it as a Symbol.

Select the Symbol Instance and run the script.

Thereafter, use the Replace Symbol command to replace the Instances with any other Symbol.

Also experiment scaling the results with Transform Each, using the Random setting.

JET

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2009 4:12 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Thank you, James. Great stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 6:42 PM   in reply to JETalmage

JET,

Your illustration is very cool. I tried following the instructions, but my symbol isn't working the same way. Would it be possible to post an AI file of your example or a PDF that could be opened in AI? That would be very helpful so that I can spot where I'm going wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 11:01 PM   in reply to JETalmage

James,

This is a wonderful tool. I'm getting fascinating results. There's a tendency for objects to cluster at the poles; horizontal objects are distributed radially, but, as far as I can tell, at random angles and length, and it seems that the script can be run on any object, not just a circular symbol. I like this script very much. Thank you.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2009 2:02 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Something is missing here in the instructions. When I try the instructions, my original circle symbol ends up with very jaggy edges. JETs circles maintain their circular look. Some of JETs symbols have a transparent look to them. How was that implemented?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2009 6:12 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Perhaps more fascinating possibilities than results at this point, and family obligations have intervened today, but here's a small sample of what I've been looking at.:

Screen shot 2009-12-31 at 3.27.41 PM.png

A bit hard to see in this shot, but you may be able to recognize your own stipples in black around the lavender shapes in the middle.

I tried your suggestions, comparing application of the script to symbols with that of plain objects, horizontal, vertical, and oblique, and I see exactly what you are talking about. Replacing straight-line symbol instances with square bounding box symbols gives virtually identical results, regardless of the orientation of the original, as makes sense for a sphere. Replace the results of running the script on a non-symbol line with a symbol (clumsy sentence, sorry, in a hurry) then the distribution and scaling work, but the rotation and translation disappear, reducing the results to two dimensions rather than three. This bears a lot more examination when I have time again, and I'm utterly delighted with it. Happy New Year.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2010 11:25 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JET,

Thanks for your patient explanation. I get it now. You are always an inspiration.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2010 12:25 PM   in reply to JETalmage

(Am I the only one who finds it silly the way this forum assumes every post is a question, and requests the silly awarding of meaningless "points" and insists that even a non-question should be marked "answered" or "not answered"?)

JET

There is a toggle for that under the topic box when you start a new post.

Man, oh, man, your work is gorgeous and insightful and, I hope, infectious.

Thanks,
    Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to JETalmage

By all means, maintain your skepticism about the off switch, but when you see it I'll take my bag of points to Latitude 59, a local independent, instead of Starbucks, for A Shot in the Dark.

You're probably out of luck on the personal messages switch, but I'll do my bit by not sending you one unless you force me.

And yes, I meant new discussion, not new post. Small but significant distinction.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2010 1:35 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Yup, noticed that about the text. Love that script.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2010 1:48 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Yes it would. And with reasonable accuracy to its true location.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Would that happen to be somewhere 'round 151 longitude?

I think that's one of my dogs gnawing on the end of that radius.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2010 10:05 PM   in reply to JETalmage

The reversal-of-text effect is useful to determine which hemisphere a symbol is supposed to be in when it's not otherwise obvious, should that be important.

Screen shot 2010-01-04 at 8.59.27 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 2:16 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Lauren,

Thank you very much for reviving this thread, which I had overlooked completely at the time. And if you see a bearded guy with a trombone paddling in a sludge cup somewhere on Lake Street, tell Peter it is high time to go home and post here.

James,

Is there a way to completely opt-out of the "personal messages" functionality? I have looked for that, but didn't find it.

Unfortunately not, but you have a few options to get it over with:

1) Send some long PMs to yourself;

2) Ask everyone to send you a long PM today.

With either, the mailbox will soon be full, and no one can send you anything (until someone decides to increase the allocated space (again) beyond the present 150 kB).

I am not sure about getting rid of the email notification, the You have a new Private message message.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 2:29 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Hi, Jacob,

I got overwhelmed by forums (fora?), email, and obligations, to others and to myself, so some of it gave. Haven't visited a forum of any description since our last email exchange. Might be back shortly. I have thought about you. Regards to you and all you love.

Peter

PS: Had a big band gig Saturday, and two orchestra concerts coming on the weekend. Life is good. And Latitude 59 flourishes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 3:26 AM   in reply to tromboniator

I am happy to hear that, Peter. And all the best to you and yours.

And once again, thank you Lauren.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to JETalmage

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to obtain a copy of this script from JETalmage or someone who has it from previously downloading a copy.

JET_DrawScripts.zip    * which includes the Random Patchwork Sphere script

I am also really interested in the following, if someone has any or all of those as well:

JET_RandomizeScripts.zip

JET_PrimitivesScripts.zip

JET_TransformScripts.zip

JET_PathScripts.zip

I am not sure if those are the correct naming conventions for the most recent archives but I am looking for JET's Draw scripts, Randomize scripts, Primitives scripts, Transform scripts, Path scripts, in particular, both to utilize and learn from. I greatly appreciate anyones help on this, I apologize for asking but they seem rather hard to locate now days but awesome resources for learning and utilizing.  I tried previously to PM JETalmage directly before seeing and realizing he doesn't seem to like receiving PM's (as stated in this thread) and may in fact ignore them all together, I am sure with so much talent and knowledge he gets a ton of requests so thats understandable. ;-)

So I am hoping someone who has copies of these scripts already, can provide them if possible. Thanks everyone, especially JET for sharing these originally with the community. Thanks everyone for your time and any thing your able to offer, both the ones listed or others as part of JET's collection.

Thanks

JETalmage wrote:

Is there a way to completely opt-out of the "personal messages" functionality? I have looked for that, but didn't find it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to W_J_T

I have the JET_DrawScripts.zip

but it does NOT include Random Patchwork Sphere script;

zip has: desmeas,crlcentroid,dimension(3),fauxhalf, sphereAICS

but I'd like to find random patchwork sphere too; tried google but leads are all 404 dead

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to JETalmage

The link is no longer working. Can any one send me the script? I'll be appreciate your help.

My email is fyrise@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to faleaf

faleaf,

Since the scripts are no longer publically available, I believe no one should make them but James if/when he chooses to.

By the way, it now takes 500 Private Messages (regardless of size) to fill the Inbox.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 1:23 AM   in reply to JETalmage

You are welcome, James.

And you are right: for a general audience statement like that, the implicit [available] should have been explicit:

... I believe no one should make them available but James ...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points