Skip navigation
Marco_August_18
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1.3 issuing error messages in Windows 7

Aug 18, 2009 4:04 AM

Acrobat Reader 9.1.3 is issuing the following error in the event log viewer for Windows 7 (64 bits):

Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll" on line 3. The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

No reply to this message is required. This message is provided to aid the Adobe Acrobat Reader developers in finding a solution. Thank you.

Detailed XML message:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">63</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-17T11:08:36.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>6516</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>ALPHA_TAURI</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>assemblyIdentity</Data>
<Data>version</Data>
<Data>MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINO R</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll</Data>
<Data>c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll</Data>
<Data>3</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2009 8:07 AM   in reply to Marco_August_18

Adobe doesn't support beta software. Report the problem to Microsoft, it is their problem to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2009 6:12 PM   in reply to Marco_August_18

Do you use Adobe AIR?  If not, uninstall it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2009 10:49 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

This happens to me, too, in the RTM build of Windows 7 (x64), which is not beta. If it's broken now, it'll probably be broken when Win 7 is officially released, and the error message sure makes it look like an Adobe problem. I do use AIR once in a while, so uninstalling it is not my first choice. The error message, while annoying seems pretty benign.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2009 8:49 PM   in reply to Marco_August_18

I see lots of these in my Win7 error logs. And I don't use Adobe Air or even know what it is.  Must have hitched a ride in with one of the Adobe programs that I actually use.  The damn thing seems to wake up once a day, just long enough to put this entry into the error log.

To me, it looks like Adobe screwed up the version property in the manifest for Adobe Air.dll.  It says

MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR

It looks like some macro didn't resolve when Adobe built this DLL.  Sloppy.

Anyway, Adobe-- please fix.  It's cluttering up the Administrative Events in the error log.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2009 8:53 PM   in reply to ZimFromIRK

Did you try if this still occurs in Adobe Reader 9.2 ?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2009 9:06 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I can confirm this still happens to me with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Full, legal RTM version) and Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.2.0 and Adobe Air.dll giving the SideBySide error in the Application Log in the Event Viewer.

Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll" on line 3. The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

I'd say this is an Adobe bug and they should fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 8:23 PM   in reply to oakmario

Oct 27, 2009 10:06 PM in response to: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1.3 issuing error messages in Windows 7

I can confirm this still happens to me with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Full, legal RTM version) and Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.2.0 and Adobe Air.dll giving the SideBySide error in the Application Log in the Event Viewer.

I'd say this is an Adobe bug and they should fix it.

Exactly the same scenario for me, and I agree with the conclusion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 8:25 PM   in reply to AdobeAlexS

FYI please unmark - "question possibly answered" - no solution (or fix) yet. Thanks :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2009 9:40 AM   in reply to AdobeAlexS

System: Windows 7 Ultimate

I also get a error message trying to open Adobe Reader in Windows 7 Ulimate. When I try to install a newer version of Adobe Reader on my computer the installation progress stops and I get a error message saying:

”Adobe Reader 9.2 – Norsk(Norwegian)

Documents are not valid short filename

This makes me not install Adobe Reader and it is also difficult to open Adobe PDF files that already existis on the computer.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what to do?.  Is it some software uninstall sofware that can uninstall all Adobe reader versions so that I can install it again?

Best regards

Magne

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2010 1:16 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

MichaelKazlow wrote:

Adobe doesn't support beta software. Report the problem to Microsoft, it is their problem to fix.

I'm

getting this exact same problem with the newest Version of Windows 7

32 bit (was delivered on 22 October 2009 and the newest version of

Adobe Reader 9.2 (downloaded from the Adobe website and installed about 1 week ago). Why would THIS be Microsofts problem to fix?

Dear Adobe people - please fix this as I do not expect to get event viewer errors as a result of installing your software. You need to be more proactive and responsive at the first time a problem is drawn to your attention. Please acknowledge this here and act. For now, this Abobe Air thing is uninstalled from my Control Panel, when you advised me you've fixed it in this thread, then I may re-download it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2010 9:31 PM   in reply to Flying_Kiwi

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

Dear Adobe people ...

This is a user-to-user forum; you do not address Adobe staff here.

The original post was about an installation on a beta version of Windows 7, which was not supported at the time.

If you have a problem with a different version of Adobe Reader on a different version of Windows 7, please open a new topic.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 2:42 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

pwillener wrote:

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

Dear Adobe people ...

This is a user-to-user forum; you do not address Adobe staff here.

The original post was about an installation on a beta version of Windows 7, which was not supported at the time.

If you have a problem with a different version of Adobe Reader on a different version of Windows 7, please open a new topic.

I'd gladly address Adobe staff directly about it if they didn't make it so difficult to do so but there are notices galore on their website restricting the ways of doing so for this particular product. That said, I accept that they may not review these posts and act on bugs found (although why is beyond me, I know if I was a developer of software and I wanted it to be top quality, I'd be looking everywhere I can for sources of bugs having been found and I certainly wouldn't make it any more difficult than an ordinary bug submission on any other software to report it).

It's clear to me that the problem originally posted about that shows up in Win 7 RC, is still present in the latest software and popping its ugly head up under Win 7 RTM. If they'd nipped it in the bud back then it should be fixed by now - that's annoying. I've been using online forums for a long time and I know it's always a good idea to search for a solution or similar thread and post in that if present, rather than opening an entirely new thread. As the bug is the same, the Adobe software version is very similar and the OS is just an earlier non-RTM version and there are no set forums for bugs within specific RTM vs RC/Beta OS's I posted here.

I'm not going to start a new thread because if, as you say there's no addressing of Adobe Staff here (and you haven't mentioned you have inside connections and will pass it on) what's the point? I will make one phonecall to Abobe in an effort to report this but there needs to be more open ways of bug reporting, even if it is a free product.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 6:48 AM   in reply to Flying_Kiwi

I agree 100%.  I reported this problem here against the Widnows 7 RTM (not the BETA, but the released product) earlier in this thread. It's not clear to me how to report a problem in a free product to Adobe or if they'd even care, so I did it here.

I am a developer and track user forums/discussion boards that discuss the programs that I work on, and I'd have to assume that Adobe developers do the same.  My employer encourages this and I'd hope that Adobe does so as well.  Also, this problem looks like an obvious build error.

Starting another thread appears to be a waste of time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 7:58 AM   in reply to ZimFromIRK

ZimFromIRK wrote:

It's not clear to me how to report a problem in a free product to Adobe or if they'd even care, so I did it here.

To report a bug: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 3:06 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

~graffiti wrote:

ZimFromIRK wrote:

It's not clear to me how to report a problem in a free product to Adobe or if they'd even care, so I did it here.

To report a bug: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Now that's handy but unfortunately a little late in this case. Fortunately the staff member on the other end of the phone was very receptive and although employed in an unrelated dept, promised to pass on details about it (including this thread URL) to the people who can make a difference.

Why oh why Adobe doesn't put a link to that report a bug form (with an explanation that people may not receive a personal reply - but is should always be acknowledged) on the page outlining support options for free products, baffles me. In fact, I think it should be an option on all support related choices. Sorry if it is there in the menus somewhere, it wasn't obvious enough to me. Those with an interest, can now consider this bug officially reported (even though it was via unofficial channels) - my fingers are crossed for a quick fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 6:54 AM   in reply to Flying_Kiwi

I am also getting this error message on my Windows & 64 bit pc and I have had massive problems with PSE8 which uses it I think.  My pc crashes and this is the only error message that seems "serious" according to 2 independant sources (an IT expert & Dell's own expert who has spent HOURS on the phone with me...).  I seem stuck at the moment with use of any Adobe software...so it is not a minor matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 1:26 PM   in reply to Marco_August_18

I'm using Reader 9.3.2 with my Win 7

setup so it'd be worth seeing if you still have the same problem with the la

test and greatest before tying anything else.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2010 5:35 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

The error message CLEARLY states that the "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" defined in the executable does NOT conform to the Standards defined for Windows:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.reflection.assemblyvers ionattribute.aspx

How is it MICROSOFT'S Problem in an executable they did not build and they will not provide support for?

Adobe should get off their butts and get this fixed because here it is a YEAR+ later and I Still see this problem in ALL their programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 2:01 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hi

can uninstall for photoshop cs5 or cs6 64bit too?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

You really should have asked in the Photoshop forum, but the answer is yes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points