• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeps asking to install Flash PLayer when I already have??? Help Please!!!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash player worked perfectly fine on my computer and I've had it for about 2 years. But now for the past 2 weeks whenever I turn off the computer or log off the next time I sign in it says I need to install flash player. I have installed it many times but it keeps doing the same thing. I'm tired of installing it everyday so some one please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 100 Replies 100
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi G, That would be aggravating. Take a look in Add/Remove via Control Panel and see if there is a DLM (download manager) listed.

Did you uninstall and then install manually or was it an automatic update via a prompt from Adobe?

When you post back, please include your OS and browser and version.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI!

Thank you for replying. No I checked and there is no DLM listed, however when I install it a DLM does open up some

times. I uninstalled and installed manually and I am using windows vista i think it's 32 bit and I'm using internet explorer 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this problem with only one pc or one site?

Regards,

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's a problem with every site i visit. so the pc i guess.

Gagan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gagan, Thanks for the info. You say sometimes the DLM will appear. If you can remember, was it used the last time that you uninstalled and installed?

It is supposed to install the FP and then disconnect, but sometimes it does not.

My suggestion would be to uninstall per http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html  This is the offline Uninstaller.

Pay close attention to the last part of this article about rebooting when using IE.

This is the offline Installer :

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Download the Installer and run from your desktop after the Uninstaller is finished. Be sure to not have any Flash running,

close all browsers, check system tray, etc.

Just read over the instructions carefully regarding Security Settings, Permission issues, Norton Security, etc. before Installing.

If you have any questions prior to uninstalling/installing, just post.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would i need to disconnect the internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gagan, It normally is not necessary. I suggest this in cases where people have had Anti-virus/firewall blocking their

uninstall or install. So they would be disabling their security so yes they would need to disconnect from the internet and then disable their security, etc.

If you have had no problem in that area, then you should be ok. Just don't have any browsers open and nothing running in the background using Flash. Check the system tray, etc.

As long as you have read over the uninstall/install instructions, you should be fine. The only thing is the Rebooting Twice

after Uninstalling and Once after Installing.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gagan, our posts crossed. When you say you are asked to install FP, I'm assuming you are on a website that uses Flash.

Now exactly what message are you getting?

Go to youtube, what are they asking for?

If this is happening on every website as you indicated, then go to Tools>Manage add ons and use the drop down arrow so to check both sections. This is what you should have listed there:

Shockwave Flash Object....ActiveX Control.....Enabled......Flash10d.ocx

Post back, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to youtube it says get the latest flash player. When I go to manage add-ons on IE under the currently loaded add-ons Shockwave Flash Object....ActiveX Control.....Enabled......Flash10d.ocx doesn't show up. If i go to the downloaded controls section or the run without permission section the Shockwave Flash Object....ActiveX Control shows up but not the Flash10d.ocx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Gagan. Here is what I want you to do. Go to this Adobe link: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about

If a yellow bar appears at the top of the site saying you need ActiveX Control, click on Install it. Then Reboot and check your websites. Also Check the add on Shockwave Flash Object and see if Flash10d.ocx is listed.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, when I go to that link no yellow bar comes up. IT tells me that I have flash player 10 installed. I was just looking through the add-ons and there is an add on under the run without permission section called isinstalled by sun microsystems inc and under type it says active X control enabled but for the publisher it says not verified. so basically the only add-on that doesn't show up at all is Flash10d.ocx the others show up in one section or another. When i go to the macromed folder on my computer the Flash10d.ocx is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Go back to the Flash Folder and here is what should be listed:

1. Flash10d.ocx

2. FlashUtil10d.exe

3. Uninstall_activeX.exe

4. install.log

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah all of that is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now go to this link: http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_tn_19166_en-us

Go down to item #4. Follow those instructions. You will be going back to the Flash folder and right clicking on FlashUtild.exe. The "follow the steps to complete the Flash Player installation" I have no experience with since I don't use Vista. Whatever it is do it. Then follow the rest of the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i have done that before and it installs fine and works also. But once I sign off and then sign back in it doesn't work. I have to repeat the same steps over and over again. So basically the main problem is that it installs fine but once i restart the computer and go to any website requiring flash it says that i need to install flash player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Well the problem is that the Shockwave Flash Object ......Flash10d.ocx is not being installed. Since this is an ActiveX

control something is preventing it. Either the Security Settings in IE, your Anti-virus/spyware or the Firewall.

Do you have the Security set at Medium?

What Anti-virus/spyware that runs in realtime are you using?

What firewall, other than Windows firewall?

When you right clicked on the FlashUtild.exe, did you click on Run as Administrator? Was there any problem?

You are running as Administrator, correct? That is necessary as you probably know.

Thanks. Well at least we know what the problem is. The reason you are being asked continously, is because every website that uses Flash is looking for and calling for that Shockwave Flash Object ActiveX Control Flash10d.ocx and they are not finding it, and we know that because it is not installed.

This is what we need installed.

As soon as we find out what is preventing it, we're done.:-)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok well that's good.. Yes I have the security settings on medium. I have norton 360 on my computer and I am running it as the administrator.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think you found the answer: NORTON. They also have a firewall, are you using it also?

http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_tn_19166_en-us

You didn't read that article very well 🙂  Go back and read the last paragraph. You might have to do the uninstall over.

But hold off, you are going to have to disconnect from the Internet BEFORE you disable/pause/the Norton/firewall.

I'll give you the steps whenever you are ready.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But for the firewall on norton all the adobe stuff is allowed. None of it i

s blocked and I've had the norton 360 for 2 years now and i never had this problem? Anyways, okk what do I have to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been following this thread and am in the "business." I have tried all above, have 7 and flash stopped working today. It works on ALL other browsers, not IE.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so did you get it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Gagan, all I can say is that just as Adobe changes each time they come out with a new version of FP, so do all of the Anti-Virus/Spyware programs. Change seems to be what hardware and software does:-) Adobe must have had enough evidence that Norton was causing a problem to have included an advisory about it in their troublshooting .

Anyway, I just know that something is preventing the install of the ActiveX Control of Flash from being installed.

Go back to the Uninstall link and download it to your desktop.

Go back to the Install link and download it to your desktop.

Close all browsers

Disconnect from the Internet

Disable your Firewall if other than Windows

Disable Norton

Run the Uninstaller from your desktop and then Reboot. When it is fully Rebooted, Reboot again

Run the Installer from your desktop, when finished, Reboot Once

Enable your Firewall

Enable Norton

Re-Connect back to the Internet

Check your add ons for Flash10d.ocx  for the Shockwave Flash Object ActiveX Control

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have just tried it all but no luck I went to youtube and it says Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm getting aggravated! I am going to check on that Download Manager(DLM) If you ever installed and it was used it may be lurking in the files. Have to get that info.

In the meantime Gagan, some have had success running the Microsoft Safety Scan. The part you want to use (for our purposes here) is the "Clean Up" part. It does review the registry and will advise you of what if finds and you can say fix it, or repair whatever their term is.

Since the ActiveX uses the Registry, this could be an issue.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines