The final 4.0 release will be in the first half of this year. The beta 2 trial is 60 days, however, if you have a Flex Builder 3 serial number you can extend your trial (please see this page for further details on extending your trial with a FB3 SN).
There is a good chance I am going to go the route you advised. That said, two questions:
1. If spend the $249.00 for Flex Builder 3.0 license in order to get Flash Builder 4.0 extension, how much else would to pay to get
FB 4.0 upon release?
2. I understand Flash CS5 Pro will also be coming out soon. (a) Why separate and not as a bundle? (b) What will be the ideal
situation to be in, from a developer's standpoint? In other words, should it be Flash CS5 Pro or Flash Catalyst? Your advice is highly
I join the question of sbliss...
I need about 5 licenses of flex development, and I will wait for the final release of flash builder 4 if it was in the upcoming month...
Is there any way to sharpen a bit the "first half of 2010" estimation? is there an actual chance it will be released in january\febuary 2010?
And is there a way to reveal the charges for a regular license and an upgrade?
Only this way i could make a rational decision about buying these 5 licenses now and upgrade, or wait a bit..............
P.S. - a bundle with flash cs5 would be great!
Please see my answers inline:
1. If spend the $249.00 for Flex Builder 3.0 license in order to get Flash Builder 4.0 extension, how much else would to pay to get FB 4.0 upon release?
I don't have an official answer on the upgrade price from FB3 to FB4, however, I would expect it to be in the ballpark of what we had for FB2 to FB3 (please see our current upgrade offerings here).
2. I understand Flash CS5 Pro will also be coming out soon. (a) Why separate and not as a bundle?
Unfortunately, we can't discuss various packaging options before they are officially announced, but we are definitely looking to provide customers good combinations of our tools.
(b) What will be the ideal situation to be in, from a developer's standpoint? In other words, should it be Flash CS5 Pro or Flash Catalyst? Your advice is highly appreciated.
Quoting from Catalyst FAQ:
Unfortunately I can't give further details on our release date. With regards to upgrades, please see my message above to sbliss. Additionally, regular pricing information is not available at this time.
How long does it take to receive a license extension for the Flash Builder 4 Beta 2? I submitted a request yesterday and got a message that it was approved but have not received an email with the new serial number.
Vera, I sent a message to you via the forums private messages on the twelfth(with my flex 3 license number) and am hoping to hear from you soon. I waited until the last minute to request the extension unfortunately so my Flash Builder 4 program is inoperable at the moment.
I applied for an extension on January 7 and never heard anything from Adobe. I tried again a few days ago and still nothing. I've checked my spam folder too. There seems to be a problem with the system, so i'll send you a pm.
Thanks for your help with the Beta. Now that FLash Bulder 4 is released, do we still need to upgrade if we are enrolled in the Adobe Volume License program? Or will we be able to get access to the new keys soon?
Europe, Middle East and Africa