Skip navigation
RicardoAT
Currently Being Moderated

I can´t extract all raws from dng

Jan 10, 2010 9:23 PM

A year ago I started converter my ARW (sony raw) and after my NEF (nikon RAW) files to DNG with embedded raw, now Iwant to edit the dng in DxO pro 5 and it dosen´t read it, I try to get theoriginal raw and I only recovered as 60 percent of the original raws, thishappened to me in several batches of pictures and in different mac computers, I update the DNG converter 5.4 and is the same. Can sombody help me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2010 8:04 AM   in reply to RicardoAT

Have you embedded the native raw in the DNG and now want to extract it but you can not? Is this the only copy of the DNG, don't you have backup? Have not you saved the native raw file on its own?

Gabor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 12:51 PM   in reply to RicardoAT

Embedding the native raw file in the DNG is plain nonsense; I don't understand, why Adobe is offering this option at all. If you want to have access to the original, you should archive it on its own (you should do that always).

Anyway, the DNG converter has an option "Extract"; use that.

Gabor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 2:56 PM   in reply to RicardoAT

Can you upload one of the DNGs, from which you can not extract the native raw? Use yousendit.com if you don't have web space; send it to any fictional email address and post here the URL for the downloading.

Gabor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 1:39 PM   in reply to RicardoAT

The file structure shows the embedded native raw file, but the DNG Converter can not extract it (it says none is there). I tried it with six different versions of the DNG converter (the oldest from 2005), none has managed it.

I noticed, that you have edited this file by LR/ACR or PS/ACR. What about the other DNGs, from which you can not extract the raw file? Have they too been edited? Or see it from the other side: have those been edited, from which you can extract the raws? I tested this and did not find any problem: I converted a raw file in DNG and embedded the raw; copied, and edited one of them. Afterwards I could extract the raw from both DNGs. Thus this does not appear to be a hot line.

I don't have any other idea. However, I suggest you never to embed the raw files in the DNG but to save/archive them on their own.

Sorry for the trouble.

Gabor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to RicardoAT
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

RicardoAT wrote:

do you know how can I edit my DNG on DXO? because I can´t. DXO don´t see my DNG but it see the NEF, thats why I want to recover my original NEF

I'm sorry but I can not help you, for I have never done anything with DxO. However, I find it very strange, that DxO "does not see" the DNG, but it is able to extract the NEF from it. The native raw file is not copied into the DNG but encoded (ZIP compressed in 64 KB pieces). Thus it can not be used without knowing the structure of the envelop, namely DNG.

However, if you think that DxO does not see the DNG because it does not honor the adjustments made in ACR, then you are on the wrong way: the ACR adjustments will not be honored by other programs (and ACR is not honoring other programs' adjustments). Thus, if you are processing a DNG with DxO the first time, you are supposed to see the "native" version, no matter how much you worked on that with other raw editors.

Gabor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 9:22 PM   in reply to Panoholic
    However, I find it very strange, that DxO "does not see" the DNG, but it is able to extract the NEF from it.

He said that DxO supports original raw files (.NEF), not that DxO can extract it from .DNG...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to deejjjaaaa

DxO will not recognize DNG files. it will put out linear DNGs (which are essentially TIFFs.)  hth

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:51 AM   in reply to RicardoAT

Can you post the DNG again? The yousendit link is no longer working, and I'd like to investigate the file.

Thank you,

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points