Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Module could not be found: VersionCue.dll

Jan 18, 2010 6:54 AM

Currently, whenever I attempt to start Photoshop CS4 Extended, it launches fine. However, when I try to open a document (doesn't matter whether it's an old photo or a new blank one), I get an error:

The specified module could not be found. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0\VersionCue.dll

I have tried to find a solution (particularly here), but not to much avail . I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2010 10:25 AM   in reply to a.nastevski.

Disable Version Cue in Edit > Preferences > File Handling.

Normally you won't need it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 12:29 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

did you try this technote?

Error "Adobe Setup has stopped working..." when you try to install updates for Adobe CS4 products (Windows Vista)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408524.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 12:48 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

are you on vista/7? ProgramData is a hidden folder found in the root of the C drive (i.e. c:\ProgramData). To show the hidden folders check out this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 1:05 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

A junction is just a fancy name for a special type of shortcut. So for instance, the Application Data junction from the ProgramData would be that Application Data "folder" with a lock in it's icon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 1:19 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

go back to the screen where you set to view the hidden files (Folder Options/View tab), there should be a "Hide protected operating system files (Recomended)" checkbox, disable that

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 1:34 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

That's starting to sound to me like you have some disk corruption (bad files, maybe a virus).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 2:28 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

A quick check to see if you have a virus loaded is to type in MRT in start, start search. Click on the mrt.exe and let it run. You can also do that in the safe mode. This is a very good tool to use and it is downloaded every month on your computer.

If you have anti-virus software run that in windows safe mode too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 12:41 AM   in reply to a.nastevski.

That technote was written for Vista so there are some things slightly different compared to win7. The "Edit" button for instance was renamed in win7 to "Change Permissions"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem (I'm running Vista). Photoshop opens fine, but I cannot create or open any files. When I browse to the directory where this dll should be, I can see it's not there.

I'm using the trial version to try it out before I spend the money on it. However, I have'nt been able to do anything with it. I'm a little worried about unistalling the trial version, since it may not allow me to reinstall (that's happend before).

Anyway, is there any chance that someone would upload the dlls in their "Version Cue CS4/Client/4.0.0" directory? Does anyone know of another solution?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 1:57 PM   in reply to DevourerOfWorlds

Just go to Edit, Preferences, File Handling and uncheck Enable Version Cue. Then closeout/restart photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 2:00 PM   in reply to dec9

It was already unchecked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 2:06 PM   in reply to DevourerOfWorlds

I didn't install version cue because I have no need for it. Glad i didn't after reading all these problems with it. Version cue might be listed in programs and you can remove it from there..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to dec9

It's not there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 5:23 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

a.nastevski. wrote:

Looks like the same problem . I've re-installed, re-updated and repeated the Adobe solution over and over, but still nothing.

Edit: I've reinstalled Photoshop from a friend's CD (using my code) and it's still the same problem, so I highly doubt that it's got anything to do with the installation. I'd be very grateful (as I'm sure DevourerOfWorlds would be) if someone uploaded their own file. I'm sure it won't take too long to just attach it .

Yes, that would be nice. Could someone at least confirm that they have the dlls? The directory is "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0".

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 5:33 PM   in reply to DevourerOfWorlds

I have 4.0.0 but it is empty.

There is 4.0.1 that is 14.1 MB full of dlls.

I would assume 4.0.1 came from the Adobe download site when you run the auto update in PS CS4 to 11.0.1

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 6:25 PM   in reply to dec9

I already ran the update....

Would you be willing to attatch the contents of 4.0.1 or perhaps email them to me?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 6:55 PM   in reply to DevourerOfWorlds

That would violate the software terms of agreement.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 7:17 PM   in reply to dec9

I didn't think it would...

I'll email Adobe and see if I can get some help.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 8:37 PM   in reply to DevourerOfWorlds

Your welcome. I found on the Adobe download page the 4.0.1 version cue update for windows. When you download it make sure you right click on it and run as admin.

Also if you have a download problem turn off popup blocker in Internet explorer.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4218

Edit: Make sure nothing Adobewise is running or running in the background before install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2010 11:47 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

that means that the download didn't finish (correctly). You'll have to redownload it

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 1:57 AM   in reply to a.nastevski.

You only paid $200.00 for CS4 extended?

Call adobe up and ask for a refund.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to a.nastevski.

This is getting frustrating....

I'm having a hard time finding any support or contact info, since I'm just using the trial version. I've tried all the suggestions I could find, and none have worked.

I'm very glad that I did not spend any money on this yet (sorry a.nasteveski ), and it doesn't look like I'm going to.

Thanks for all the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 12:21 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

Okay, I finally got it working. Here's what I did:

First, I removed the "Version Cue CS4" directory.

I then downloaded and installed the Adobe Illustrator CS4 trial. What I was hoping would happen is that the directory would be replaced. I was right. I'm not sure if it was Illustrator, or Bridge that needed the files, but either way they were replaced.

I made a backup of the directory to make sure that if this happened again, I would be covered (even though my trial ends in 30 days ).

You may not have to install Illustrator. You may just need to reinstall Photoshop (the only reason I installed Illustrator is because I can't reinstall the trial version). Just make sure you first remove the "Version Cue CS4" directory to ensure that it will be replaced.

Thanks for the help! ( Hope this helps a.nastevski! )

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 1:43 PM   in reply to a.nastevski.

That's a nice gift.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points