Skip navigation
TonyHak
Currently Being Moderated

What challenges do you face?

May 3, 2009 1:14 PM

Hi All,

As I read through the postings here regarding document management, packaging up files to move them around, user rights problems etc, I wonder if the stuff the company I work for creates might be able to help with some of these challenges...

I work for a company that has a pretty cool system integrating Indesign and Incopy (among other tools) at the core of an architecture for managing assests for print and web publishing. Currently it has been pretty tailored to the Newspaper Industry which is pretty demanding regarding asset management, workflows, audit trails etc...

We are in the process of opening that technology up in a SaaS offering to enable alternate markets to use what we have easily as well. I would really love to hear from this group and incorporate ideas and suggestions to enhance our technology to ensure it has the most value to the community.

Thanks to any and all willing to share your experiences and ideas.

Tony

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to TonyHak

Hello Tony,

I am a Mac-based magazine designer.  The editors are PC.  Will InCopy work cross-platform? 

I have never used InCopy, so have all the questions, such as will fonts work on either platform?

Thanks for your advice.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2010 10:02 AM   in reply to TonyHak

Hi Tony

We're a community newspaper publisher. We're Mac based and currently using CS2 for ad and page layout and NewsEdit for editorial staff. We want to upgrade to CS4 but NewsEdit is not compatable. (NewsEdit is not longer being made, they've come out with a brand new program and to purchase that, would cost mega bucks.)

We're looking at InCopy, but from what I can tell, it's mainly designed for companys that are layout driven (that is, writers write to fit the space). Being a newspaper that won't work for us.

You stated you worked for a company that has a "system integrating Indesign and Incopy for managing assests for print and web publishing. Currently it has been pretty tailored to the Newspaper Industry which is pretty demanding regarding asset management, workflows, audit trails etc."

Could you explain this a little more?

Thanks

Barb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 9:26 AM   in reply to TonyHak

Tony,

Is InCopy a stand-alone program?  Does each editor and the designer need to have both InDesign and inCopy?  And where does the working InDesign file reside while it in process?  On the web somewhere, or on the designer's Mac?

Thank you.  ---Peter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points