Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is PE7 compatable with windows 7 64bit?

Jan 23, 2010 7:12 AM

are there any versions of Adobe Premiere Elements besides PE8 that are compatable with Windows 7 64bit? I have heard of lots of problems with PE8 and I would prefer using PE7 if possible. Actually I use PE3 with XP home 32 bit and love and don't really want to upgrade but it seems like i might have to. thanks

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to genesmachine

It's not the operating system that's the problem. Windows 7 automatically shifts into 32-bit mode when you run a 32-bit program on it.

The challenge is that the 64-bit drivers aren't yet fully compatible -- and that's causing a lot of people problems.

So, at this time, I wouldn't recommend Premiere Elements 8 on Windows 7 64-bit (although it runs very well on Windows 7 32-bit with adequate hardware support). Premiere Elements 7 seems to run a bit better on it, but even then you may be in untested waters.

I'd try the free trial first and see what my personal results were.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 8:01 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I am hoping that by the SP-1 release for Win7 that this will be rectified. It does take time to rewrite drivers (and also 3rd party plug-ins, etc.). Have not heard any projection on Win7 SP-1, but it should not be THAT far out, by my counting. Still, who knows?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 8:24 AM   in reply to genesmachine

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 3:52 PM   in reply to genesmachine

I run PRE7 & PSE7 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with very few problems.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 4:13 PM   in reply to nealeh

As Hunt says, Adobe has nothing to do with the drivers in Windows 7. They're created by the various computer hardware companies and often administered by Microsoft.

And, as Neale says, your mileage may vary. That's why I recommend trying the free trial and seeing how it works on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 4:29 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Its getting harder to find the PRE7 trial but this link looks to be working:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Adobe-Premiere-Elements-Download -112792.html

And for the additional content (make sure you click the v7 tab):

http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 6:20 AM   in reply to genesmachine

To get up and running, you may want to check out my free Premiere Elements Basic Training tutorials at Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2010 8:15 PM   in reply to genesmachine

I was running both PE7 and Pinnacle Studio 12 on a Vista 64 laptop with a measly graphics card.  They both worked fine although a bit slow and sometimes the output quality wasn't so good.  The output quality proceeded to get worse. I could deal with the speed issue but not the quality issue.

I bought a desktop win7 64 with an i7 8gb of ram and a 512mb quadro graphics card.  It should blow the bleepin doors off of PE.  I bought this pc with the future in mind and only because a comparable Mac pro was so much more expensive.  I should have known better that the software quality and consistency on the PC platform is so bad.  Factoring in that I might have to plunk down for Premiere Pro (who knows if that will even work), The Mac and iLife would have been a better deal.

PRE8 on Win7 64 doesn't work at all for me on the new machine.  After loading it and performing a few simple operations, it crashes and has to close.  making matters worse, it isn't certain if I shell out even more money for Premiere Pro that it will make any difference.

I am having a little better luck with the Pinnacle product on Win7 but the rendering time is still the same as on my old laptop.

I wonder if the experts on here think reverting to Windows XP would solve a lot of these problems considering the hardware upgrades.

Thanks,

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2010 9:09 PM   in reply to merlion88

Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

I would start with full details of the Assets, and even more info on your computer, such as the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free space and how they are allocated.

Those will be good places to start to diagnose your issues. Without such info, it is all just guessing.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for the info.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points