Skip navigation
ottonachdemmotto
Currently Being Moderated

How to keep paragraph lines together separated by text wrap?

Jan 26, 2010 5:42 PM

Hello,

Paragraph style options -> Keep Options -> Keep Lines Together -> (o) All lines in Paragraph

...is a great option to keep paragraphs together in text frame columns. In my case the paragraphs should never be separated. However, placing an object with text wrap a paragraph gets separated. How to avoid this and keep the lines together even for text wrap? The attached image illustrates the desired behaviour.

How to keep paragraph lines together separated by text wrap?

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2010 5:46 PM   in reply to ottonachdemmotto

Can you anchor the object into the text, that way it's part of the paragraph.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 7:41 PM   in reply to ottonachdemmotto

I think what you're trying to do is improbable, can you give a better example of the desired result?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 10:30 PM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Yes. This is very problematic.

There might be an alternate way to achieve your objective other than using text wrap.

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to ottonachdemmotto

Hi,

I'm looking also answer for this, because I'm in a similar situation. Has someone solved this? I think it's really odd that text wrap doesn't care about the keep option settings.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to arthustiak

I think the problem her is in how you, and InDesign, are interpreting what keeping lines together means. To ID, those lines are still together because they are in the same column in the same frame -- keep options prevent splitting the paragraph across multiple columns or multiple frames.

With that in mind, it seems to me that you need to split the text frame into two parts at the points where you want the wrap to be effective, leaving a gap between them at the graphic location.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yeah, I already Googled a whole lot of pages to find out a solution, but Peter you are right about it.

But I'm doing a little book (about 94 pages) and using master text frames. My text flows through the whole book in text frames which are almost covering the whole pages. And I need to put in certain pages images of people and a short description text about the person. I want to adjust the text to align to the image of the person. So, I thought I could add transparent object with text wrap and use keep options for the paragraphs. This way, I thought, I wouldn't need to do it by hitting ENTER. Also the pictures of persons have text wraps applied. See the image. But if the only way to do this is by hand hitting ENTER like crazy, then it is. There should be more flexibility for text wrapping in Indesign.

Kuva 32.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to arthustiak

Hitting Enter is pretty much NEVER a good way to deal with something like this.

In the case of a layout that looks like your example, I think you might want to consider using a table.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points