Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Playback of clips only plays between 4 and 12 frames

Jan 28, 2010 7:07 PM

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Premiere, have used After Effects CS4 to produce some clips, but need something that handles editing better, and I thought I would give Premiere CS4 a try.

Unfortunately, I can't get Source or Sequence preview working.  I click the play button and the video plays for about 1/2 to 1/4 or a second (between 4 and 16 frames) and then stops, returning to the place where I hit play.  Almost like I had selected an in and out of 14 frames and hit "play in to out".

The duration of the playback is random, but never more than a full second.

The computer I am on is:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT   

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

RAM Size: 4 GB

Type: DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz

HDD: 500Gb 7200RPM (50% empty)

Apple system updater says I am up to date.
I have Adobe Premiere CS4 installed (trial) 4.2.1 (003 (MC: 166418))
Adobe Updater says I am up to date.

I have done the following to try and resolve:

* Tried different source files (mp4, mov)

* Tried rendering a video in After Effects CS4 as MOV H264 and importing

* Tried putting still frames on the time line and playing those (no effects, no transitions)

* Tried playing no video, just music

* Ensure that "clear all markers" is done on the source and preview monitors

* Ensure loop is not playing

* Force in and out markers to a 5 second clip and press play

* Full deinstall and reinstall of all adobe products (I had some CS3 left overs that I cleaned out)

* Deleted all adobe application preferences folders before reinstall

* Deleted plugin cache

* Created new projects and tried all the above.

I have tried shutting down every other program before running Premiere, it is definitely not a resources problem, there is 3Gb of RAM free and CPUs sitting at 5% when I try this.

I am looking at buying Premiere, but if I can't get playback to work it's a bit of a waste

Anyway, any help or pointers would be appreciated!

Mikel

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to raasdnil

The Pr trial is almost useless.  It causes more lost sales than it gains (IMHO).  Im not sure this is your problem, but there are many formats the trial cannot run.  The one I know it does work with is standard def DV.  Do you have any DV you can try to see if it is the crippling of the trial that is the problem.  Trial wont run anything mpg related.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

Curt,

I am with you on the subject of the trial. I understand the MainConcept licensing issue, but have to question:

PrE's trial handles everything that the full-paid version does, but just adds a watermark to Exported footage, "Created in PrE Trial" every couple of frames. I do not know how PrE trial gets around the MPEG issue, that PrPro trial suffers from. I find this dichotomy odd, to say the least. Maybe if PrPro trial added a watermark. Now, that would open up myriad complaints too, but one could test more footage and footage common to DVD/BD.

FWIW - here is a list of the limitations with the PrPro trail, from the PrPro-Wiki.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

I'm having the same problem.

I'm not running the trial version, I'm running the full paid version, and fully updated (v 4.2.1)

I'm also on a Mac (interesting, huh)

I think it's an audio problem of some sort, check out the error message screenshot attached I've been getting.

I can reproduce it every time I go to Preferences>Audio Hardware and try to change the selected device.

Any help is much appreciated.

Symptoms

1. Delay between pressing play button (or spacebar or L) and when it starts playing.

2. It only plays for a couple of frames.

System

Mac Pro 1,1 (2 x 2.66 GHz Intel Xeon)

OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)

5 GB RAM

Steps Tried to Rectify Problem

-restart computer

-repair permissions

-tried different format files with different codecs - problem persists

-deleted user preferences

-tried adobe updater to check for available updates - none

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to jspence444

The delay is more or less normal for MAC's because of the lousy support of multithreading on Leopard/CS4. If it stumbles on playback, the system may stumble completely. CS4 on a PC uses all cores to the fullest, not so on MAC's.

|
    Mark as:

Alright I did a screen capture to show you here.

a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video is worth a thousand pictures.

Hope this explains everything.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:

Your sequence is set to 32000 kHz, what is the sample rate of the footage?

|
    Mark as:
    1. Soundflower has been known to cause bunches of trouble in other Adobe apps.
    2. The behavior in the screen cap is what one would see if another program became active while Premiere was playing back a clip or sequence.  Playback would simply stop.

Check out your background processes, and investigate how things go without Soundflower.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Firstly, thank you Harm, Ann, and Jeff for your replies.

Harm

I know what you mean about the delay. I used to get it, but I managed to fix it when I switched the output to "Built-in output" - the delay was completely gone.

As for the question of computing power, I would understand, except that it didn't do this before.

Ann

i checked it out, and that was sequence 1 that was set to 32000 kHz, not the open one.

the open one, sequence 2, is set to 48000 kHz, which is the sample rate of my footage

Jeff

i got rid of soundflower and soundflowerbed, but the problem persists.

Also, I tried closing all other applications, and double-checking the activity monitor, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. the problem persists.

|
    Mark as:

I'm having exactly the same problem.  I contacted Adobe support and they gave me the standard "trash your preference files".  I did that and it still doesn't work.  They only mentioned to delete the files in the Application Support folder though, so now I've also deleted all files and folders realated to Premiere in the Preferences folder, but the problem still remains.

I did notice a folder called PProHeadless in Preferences>Adobe.  Within it are folders 1.0 and 4.0.  Each have a txt file titled TraceDatabase.txt and both have different information.  What is this?  I deleted it anyway but it didn't fix the problem.

Oh, I also tried repairing permissions, and running Premiere on a different user account, but it still doesn't work.  This is all on my Mac Pro, but I have it installed on my Macbook Pro and it works fine.

This is a maddening bug that makes Premiere completely useless!  At least Adobe software isn't expensive <(sarcasm).

|
    Mark as:

Hi,

I have a Intel Xeon Dual Quad 2.33 with 1 x 150gig WD V/Raptor 10 000rpm  (OS) 4 x 1TB seagte SATA 7200 rpm (Raid 0) and a 500gig seagate 7200rpm as a scractch disc and 16gig 667 ecc reg ram. I have a Quadro FX 3800 and a Intencinty Pro black Magic card all running on Windows 7 Ultimate.

My read and write on the drives are as follows OS +- 100 to 105 and the same for the scratch disc the 3.6Tb is running around the 380 to 400mbs and these are the problems I am having.

Some times when you hit the space bar it plays then stops after .5 to 1 second and some times it will not stop (I mean you have to close the program to stop the time line from running) I also have Elemental Accelorator installed. If i put some footage on time line and do some effects and it needs to be renderd and i try play it it shows a red circle with a white cross in the bottom right corner and it says "dropped frames" if i render the clip it is OK. The program monitor is allways choppy but the footage on the external TV is perfect. I have the Latest version 4.2.1 and all the latest drivers for may machine and all other hard ware. My laptop (ACER Travelmate 7720G 2.4ghz 4 gig ram) does not do this.

all help and advise would be really appreciated

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2010 4:02 AM   in reply to Darren Hall

Your hardware should not be any problem. What makes it different from other systems is the Intensity card and the Elemental Accelerator.

Can you replicate these problems without the Intensity card and drivers/software? Or without EA?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks Harm,

I will remove the card and uninstall AE and try (it will take a couple of days). Can you recomend what can be used to view on a external monitor.

Regards

Darren

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to Darren Hall

Two approaches:

1. PC >> firewire >> Camera/deck >> analog out >> TV for SD, or

2. PC >> second DVI out on video card >> HDMI in >> HD monitor.

|
    Mark as:

Hey jspence, did you ever find a solution to the playback issue?  I am

having the exact same problem you displayed in your .mov attachment.

It is very frustrating!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to wuzhannanan

Unfortunately, no I still haven't found a solution.

Because I can't play back any video, I can't edit my film.

I need to submit a rough cut soon! What am I supposed to do?

One of the above users mentioned driver incompatibilities with certain hardware.

I use an M-audio USB Fast Track Ultra (I produce music also).

Just in case, I tried uninstalling the drivers for it, but it made no difference.

Also, why does it say "This question is possibly answered" at the top of this thread? (as of 1:43 PM EST on Feb 23, 2010)

Sorry, but this question is not answered. Not even possibly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to wuzhannanan

What is the Quality setting in your program monitor eg Highest draft auto

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:03 AM   in reply to Darren Hall

I had mine set at "Highest quality" and then changed it to "Draft quality."  Same problem exsits.

|
    Mark as:

I found a solution on my Mac Pro.  I had to reinstall the OS and then after installing CS4 fresh Premiere is working now.  Initially I tried using the Migration Assistant to move programs and stuff from my other computer, and I think something got screwed up during that process.  I called Apple Care because I was also having trouble running Fincal Cut Pro, and they confirmed that Migration Assistant may have messed something up.  So, I know reinstalling the OS is a pain, but it might be the only option.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to wuzhannanan

I think the intel xeons dont like CS4, i have just installed a Matrox rt.x2 card and it won't even play DV in real time

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to Darren Hall

Intel Xeons and Adobe play fine together. The culprit here is Matrox. It was designed as a doorstop and that is the only use for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Well Harm, I had already picked out a new Matrox card for your Holiday gift. Guess I need to go back to that case of Le Montrachet.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 8:57 PM   in reply to jspence444

Exact same problem I'm having on my MBP.  No Soundflower here.

Back to Final Cut I go I suppose.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Now THAT is a great idea, Bill.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 4:12 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi Harm,

Well come on tell us what is the best configuration for CS4. I have done my nut with this thing and my funds have come to a end. I will try tonight if it does not work then its back to blackmagic card but please give me some advise. I have a Intel S5000XVN Mobo 2 x 2.33 xeon 16 gig ram 6 x hdd 1 x Blu ray burner 1x FX 3800 and the Matrox RT.X2 card 5 x fans is the intel 650w power supply OK for this. regards

Darren

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to Darren Hall

Thank you everybody for your replies and suggestions.

Daxman1965 (Program Monitor Settings)

I tried all three settings in the program monitor (automatic, draft, and highest), but the problem persists, unfortunately.

drclare (OS re-installation)

I tried reinstalling the OS, but it didn't help. As a matter of fact, my first post on this issue was right after I had just re-installed my OS (for an unrelated reason). I then re-installed CS4, and used Adobe Updater to update to the latest versions of my CS4 programs. In fact I think CS4 was the first thing I installed on my computer after re-installing my OS and getting the latest updates.

As a side note: when re-installing the OS I always do a "clean" install, and never "upgrade" or use the Migration Assistant, because I find the clean install to be the most reliable. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Harm Millaard (Matrox hardware)

I have never owned a Matrox card, so I'm 100% sure it's not that. At least in my case, anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though; I'm open to more.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2010 12:34 PM   in reply to raasdnil

I'm experiencing the same problem and have been going round-and-round with Adobe support with no resolution in sight.

The one difference I've been able to find is that the machine we have that DOES work is Leopard 10.5, but the one I am having issues with is Snow Leopard 10.6.  Is there a compatibility issue with Premiere CS4 and Snow Leopard?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to Lisa Hashman

Lisa,

Going back, there were some issues with Snow Leopard and a few Adobe programs. IIRC, Apple was said to be working on an update, but I have not heard how that is progressing. Also note that I am a PC-guy, so just might have missed there being a fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Did you say you installed CS4 first.  I'm using Black Magic Deck Link and I had to install that first for CS4 to work.  You probably thought of this at the get go, but your clip doesn't have to be rendered does it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2010 1:55 PM   in reply to CZorn

It's working!  Kind of.  I wish I knew what fixed it.  Premiere was the first thing installed, we tested it and it still wasn't working.  We went ahead and installed InDesign and Office, and now the video plays.   Now, I just don't have any audio.  Changing the Preferences from Built-in Output to System Default Output stops it from playing video.  Changing it back to Built-in Output brings the video back, but still no audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to CZorn

CZorn

I wish it was that simple. Sadly, no it's not a rendering issue. There is no red line at the top of the timeline. And there shouldn't be, because it's HDV footage that I captured into Premiere with the Canon XH-A1

raasdnil

Please keep us updated on what happens with your support ticket. I think I speak for all the frustrated users in this thread when I say we are all desperately awaiting any potential solutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 8:45 PM   in reply to raasdnil

Same problem. MacBook Pro running Premiere Pro CS4. It's on trail with serial keys on the way.

Hopefully going to full version and latest updates solves the issue.

Ran fine on my Macbook, upgraded to a pro and suddenly I'm having playback problems.

Has anyone worked out where the issue is? Is it a problem with lepoard?

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 3:02 AM   in reply to Nealznz

I am having the EXACT same problem as most of you... I am working on a BRAND NEW iMac - fresh clean install of the Production premium suite. I only have the OS and this suite installed!!!

When I try to preview (space) or render the timeline (enter), I get about 1/2 a second (sometime a whopping 1 sec) before it stops. For me it plays for a bit and stops both video and sound. I haven't installed any codecs yet, no games, no software. All I have done is install the Premiere software and captured my clips using premiere. Captured from my MiniDV camera using a Firewire cable.

I have tried to play the clips outside of Premiere and they all play correctly. I have exported the clips as a new file and they play perfectly outside of Premiere! Is there any fix patch or tips that anyone can suggest in a way to resurrect this issue! It is a lot of money to spend on some software which is unusable!

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance all!

Duncan Buchanan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 6:27 AM   in reply to The Buke

Were you logged in as admin when you installed?  I think that might have been my problem.  I was logged in under my account, and just supplied the admin password during installation.  Logging out, logging in as admin, installing, and then running updates seemed to resolve the problem.

I had the same issue with Soundbooth too.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 10:03 AM   in reply to raasdnil

Did anyone manage to get it fixed?  I'm about to kill for an answer.  PLEAAAAAASE!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 10:14 AM   in reply to Alex Parr

Did Lisa's post not prove helpful in your case?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 10:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Unfortunately not.  Still getting the same strange behaviour. 

Thanks for asking anyways,

Alex

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 8:46 PM   in reply to Lisa Hashman

WOW Lisa - this is exactly the problem I had, and your suggestion fixed this issue completely. I didn't even need to uninstall the product. I simply installed it as the administrator, and it now previews and plays correctly!! I think this may be a mac issue, but it certainly is a bug!

What can we do to report this as an issue (and a potential fix) to Adobe?

Thanks Lisa!!!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points