Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to snap guides in illustrator?

Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

id like to know as in ps we can snap our guide lines to the middle of the canvas and they snap making a nice intersection so we know where the middle of the canvas is,so we can place our object,how can it be done in illustrator?the guide lines do not snap,although snap to point is checked.do i have to make the canvas a perfect symmetric and then use the grid in order for the guides to snap?

any suggestions?

thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Inquestflash,

Click here before you click the align buttons:

Screen shot 2010-01-29 at 11.40.23 AM.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would work, turn on Grids and Snap to Grid. You could also unlock guides then select one and use the Align palette to align them in the middle of your artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems reasonalbe,but im trying to align the guide lines i make 2 of em in the centre of the canvas,then i select them both and in the align pallet i click on horizontal align centre and then vertical align centre,BUT and the guides dont align in the middle of the canvas but  outside on the boundareis on the white canvas.

i do have also the aligh to art board checked as well.

whats going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im trying to figure out whats going wrong,the guides are aslo moving into the grey area away from the canvas and

white boundaries,when i try to align them to the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inquestflash,

Click here before you click the align buttons:

Screen shot 2010-01-29 at 11.40.23 AM.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2010 Jan 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spot on dude great asnwer 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having guides trouble too with CS5.

They will not align to artboard and every time I click align to artboard>center it moves (each click, further to right) completely off the art board.

I have a custom action I created to align/center objects and it used to work with guides. It still works for other objects but the guides won't align anymore… I have to manually enter the coordinates to center them.

What happened?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck - did you ever find out what was going on? I have the same problem. I have the "Align to artboard" setting switched as above, but when I try and centre guides, it sends them way down on the canvas, off the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bug that occurs when the Use Preview Bounds option is turned on (see Align Palette menu or inside the general programme preferences).

Turn the option off, then guides should align properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, that's it. Thanks Kurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a bug that occurs when the Use Preview Bounds option is turned on (see Align Palette menu or inside the general programme preferences).

Turn the option off, then guides should align properly.

That worked for me once I found the Use Preview Bounds in the drop down attached to the align panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's been a long time, no doubt, but if you've moved on to Illustrator CC, my buddy made an extension that does exactly what you want.

https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/5912#.VPYtabPF_sc

I've been using it for about 2 years and I still use it every day. Worth every penny. to get the zero point in the center of your artboard, just click the middle button with nothing selected.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines