Skip navigation
lymantv2010
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 DVD Burning - no burner present on burn menu

Feb 3, 2010 6:58 AM

I'm using CS4 to edit, export and burn videos - I have a 30 station lab with xp machines - when attempting to burn the menu reads "no burner present". Each machine has an internal DVD burner. The burners work with Roxio and other burning softwares.  Anyone?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to lymantv2010

>burners work with Roxio

Roxio is your problem, due to software that it installs that will not let Encore communicate with the burner

Tell Encore to create an ISO on the hard drive, then use roxio or the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the ISO to disc

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2010 10:01 AM   in reply to lymantv2010

Did you do as I said... create an ISO and use the free imgburn?

If that works, you have a communication problem where Encore is not able to have 100% control of the drive

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to lymantv2010

This FAQ Entry will give you some tips on what can hide your burner from Adobe software.

What happens is that some software will "hook" the burner at boot up. Most of these basically tell the OS that it's not really a burner, but a HDD. This is most often done to enable "packet-writing" to the blank media in that burner. Roxio and Nero are common culprits, as each has a packet-writing module, InCD and DLA. They are not the ONLY ways that this can happen. If one has ever used Quicken's Backup to Disk, then Windows' direct-burn packet-writing module is invoked for this process (if Nero/Roxio, or similar are not available), and every time one boots up, the OS will get the information that it's not really a burner any longer, but is a HDD, and is to treated as such. Adobe gets its clue from the OS, so it does not see a burner. ImgBurn, and some others, will look beyond what is reported by the OS, but all Adobe programs, that will burn to DVD/BD will not. They want 100% control of the burner, and cannot get it.

The first place that I would check would be your Startup and Services tabs in MSCONFIG, to see just what IS launching at boot up. Though the above covers some of the "usual suspects," there can be others. If you can post a screen-cap of your Startup and your Services tabs in MSCONFIG, maybe someone can spot the culprit.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2010 2:44 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I had the same problem. It was so simple to fix. Your fix may not be as simply as mine but all I did was this.

o

Go to build, See the box at the top left that selects the drive you want to use - Set it to DVD. That was all I had to do to fix my problem.

Hope your problem is as easy to fix. I spent days trying to figure it out and all along I was one click away.

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points