Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FREE WIDGETS!!!

Feb 5, 2010 8:07 PM

I've developed some ActionScript 3 widgets for Cp4 that I've used in my projects and wanted to share them with the rest of the community.  If you end up using them, please post a comment on my blog.

1. Customize the TOC Expander Button
  2. Video in the TOC (or logo, caption, ..etc)
  3. Use a Variable as the default text in a Text Entry Box
  4. Reposition the Closed Caption Box (Gives you room for a logo or video)
  5. Reposition the playbar and show/hide its buttons

Enjoy,

Jim Leichliter

http://jimleichliter.blogspot.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2010 8:11 PM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hi Jim

Very kind of you to share! Have you also posted these on the Captivate Exchange? If not, that's a good place as well.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2010 7:18 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hi Jim

I think it's one of those sorts of affairs where you just upload and they make it available. Not sure how things are handled from a QA perspective. Although I do believe a cursory review is performed to ensure what was sent isn't just junk.

I initially discovered it after Silke Fleischer pointed it out to me. I've also heard reports that the folks that manage it may be a bit slow to respond. But it's a great idea in theory as it provides "one stop shopping" for all sorts of stuff. Right from the start page of Captivate 4!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2010 2:48 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

The approval process on the Exchange is very slow to put it nicely. They do perform some form of Q&A but I think it's limited to opening the file and see if it works or not. IMHO the approval process is probably more a check to avoid that some people upload or write obscene stuff.

Once approved you can change a couple of the parameters without having to go through a "re-approve" situation. If you reupload your file to the Exchange because of a new version then it will need to go through the approval process again but your "old" item will still be live.

I never upload my files to the Exchange but simply link the download to the file on my own website. That way I can update the file when I want to and still keep everything fresh in the Exhange. Afterwards I can change the text in the Exhange and then that will go through the approval process again - however, since the file is updated then it doesn't matter that it will take months to change the text.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2010 3:11 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hey Jim,
    thanks for Sharing!

Regards, Norman

http://www.pixolith.de Typo3 Agentur Düsseldorf

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 2:36 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Great, Jim, thanks a lot. Will certainly give it a try, if you do not mind,

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 4:37 PM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hi Jim,

I'm trying to get a streaming video to work in captivate.  I finally did this by creating the access to the video in flash and then importing the flash file into captivate.  The problem I'm having is that the closed caption that I created in flash is not working in captivate.  If I run the swf file outside of flash it works fine.  I can even see it in the preview in captivate, but the minute I load it into captivate it goes away.  I can't create the closed caption in captivate as if I do and they pause the video the closed caption in captivate keeps playing.  Any suggestins?  Is there a widget for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 10:26 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Yes, I'm thrilled to have a possible solution.  Forgive me for any obvious issue I'm having as I'm a bit of a newbie.  I put your code in actions panel and I get this message:

1118: Implicit coercion of a value with static type flash.display:DisplayObjectContainer to a possibly unrelated type flash.display:MovieClip.

Any help would be apprecitated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hello Jim,

Nice work.   I didnt think it was possible.   However when i try to use the TOC Expander Button widget it doesn  work.   The project is as3 but adding the widget appears to crash my captivate.  any thoughts?  The other comment is I wanted to test your Reposition the Closed Caption Box widget but I get an error message from google docs.  Do you have that posted anywhere else?  thnx for the help in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the support and quick response.   I have attached the file for you to play with.    I am also wondering if you found a work around for linking from the TOC directly to an external project (e.g. captivate file)  As you can see on the slide I sent you I can't directly link to another external project without first creating the slide and then creating a button that opens up that file.  Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 10:23 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hi Jim,

It looks like you're the Widget guru, so I have a Q for you.

I would like to insert a widget per the instrcutions given in Cap4 Help. I've tried both sets of instructions in creating a folder with the .swf file and .xml file. When I put this folder in Cap4 under 'Gallery/Widgets', I am unable to call the .swf onto the stage either from the 'Insert Widget' way or the 'Widgets' pannel way (Window/Widget)

I've also tried this...When I open a new Cap4 presentation, I go to File/New and try to select 'Widget in Flash...' but that link isn't active (if that makes sense...the words 'Widget in Flash...' are grayed out so I can't select that option).

Any help you can give would be great!!!

Thank you,

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to Rezu

Hi Keith,

The option File, New, Widget in Flash is only available when you have Flash installed on your system/

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 5:54 PM   in reply to Lilybiri

Thanks All,

I'm pretty sure I have Flash installed on my system. I have 2 different versions Flash Pro CS5 and Flash MX 2004. They both show up in my program files? I can open them and create things?

How do I get Cap4 to recognize that? Should there be some path to my Flash programs?

Thanks for all your help!

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 8:30 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Dear Jim,

I am encountering problems with importing AS2-based interactive flash animations into CP4. The trouble is that I'm asked to reuse existing e-learning content (created by a competitor), loaded with AS2, within CP4. According to the CP4 Help files I should create a widget in Flash, via the CP4 File menu, and then modify the AS2 script on the first frame. OK, modify what exactly? No further explanations are given.
    When I import the "flashbutton"-widget example provided in the CP4 program folder, I encounter no problems in CP4 and am able to use that button to jump one slide ahead. However, I have created a simple test movie with two arrow buttons that slide a blue square from left to right and back across the stage. When I publish the swf, it works fine. When I merge that movie with the "interactive widget" template in Flash and publish the swf, it still works fine. When I import the widget into CP4 and click the arrows in the "New interactive widget" panel it stil works fine, but when it's on a slide and I preview the project, I do see the cursor change into a hand when I move over an arrow button, but clicking it will not move the blue square. Do you have any suggestions for me on how to get this to work? I have several animations with far more complicated interactivity that I need to reuse, but if I can't get even this simple one to work... I can provide you with the animation of course.

Kind regards, André

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 12:27 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

Hi Jim,

Thanx for your mails!

After I posted my question yesterday, I had already managed to stumble upon this article on the "_root issue in Captivate" http://blogs.adobe.com/preran/2009/02/_root_issue_in_adobe_captivate.h tml

and I was going to try that one out today, but the "_lockroot"-option looks to be a better solution, especially in regard to using more than one animation per CP4-file.

As I'm not a flash programmer, but merely a simple flash user (illustrator, yes), I'm not sure how and where to implement that _lockroot property in the AS2-code of the animation. Could you still take a look at my example animation for me and implement it there? I might be able to use that as a template for further exploration.

It seems I may have to take a course in actionscript after all... But then I'd much rather dive into AS3, instead of AS2 :o(

Anyway, thanx a million in advance, because if this _lockroot solution does what it promises, it will cure what has become an unbearable headache by now!

With kind regards,

André Kamer

Illustrator / Graphic Designer

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 4:45 AM   in reply to Jim Leichliter

You can also download free trial versions of all Infosemantics AS3 widgets for Captivate 4, 5, and 5.5 at this page now: http://www.infosemantics.com.au/free_trial_widgets

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)