• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows XP VR 5.1 with SP3. Flash Player does not function? So videos will not play that use Flash Player. The Adobe Support Site has been 000 Help because it is a free product. Microsoft says it is an Adobe problem. Finger pointing to the nth degree. I have loaded the latest version of Javascript and Flash Palyer.. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some troubleshooting for flash player:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

If you follow all the steps, this will usually lead to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408620.html

The second link includes steps for developers and then steps for users (not sure why they didn't list the users section first). Skip to the users section and follow those steps.

This will fix many flash errors, however there are still some flash videos that are just broken. You should record the URL of the sites that cause your flash player to crash IE.

Here are my troubleshooting steps for Internet Explorer:

Internet Explorer 7 and 8 both include a "no add-ons mode" which is useful. My suggestion would be to attempt running in "no add-ons mode" and notice whether or not the speed improves. If so, open IE as normal, click tools and then click manage add-ons. Disable Add-ons you don't recognize and don't need or use. I personally don't use search toolbars b/c I can easily type in bing.com and then search. This is usually faster than running a bunch of add-ons anyway. After disabling the add-ons you don't recognize/want/use, look for the column that depicts load time. Anything that takes a long time to load is slowing down your browser, disable it if you can live without it. Finally, any add-ons that you chose not to disable should be updated if available. Check the site that belongs to the vendor listed in the Publisher column of the toolbar for instructions on how to update their product. Many updates require or work better if you uninstall the old version of the product first.

If you still experience crashes and slow loading, you should consider resetting IE. After resetting IE, notice the change in speed. You can then start to install the add-ons you want, but if it slows down again, you should disable the culprit that you just installed.

This is just me personally, but I prefer to run with minimal add-ons. After resetting IE, all i re-install is the latest version of my Firewall/AV suite's browser protection, which truthfully, isn't necessary, but I've not had problems with it. I then start adding back things like the latest version of Flash and Java. With this lean setup, I rarely crash, and when I do, I know it is time to reset and install the latest versions again.

David

-

I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not necessarily my employers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VetteCouple, The first thing would be is to go to the Adobe test site here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about  This will confirm if FP is installed and what version. It is always best to know for sure what the problem is before we try to offer various solutions.

If it is confirmed that you have the latest vs of FP installed (vs. 10.0.42.34) then go to Tools>Manage add ons and check all sections and look for Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control.... Flash10d.ocx and ensure that it is Enabled.

Go to Add/Remove and post back every entry of Java that is listed. While you are there check and see if there is a listing

for DLM or GetPlus.

Did you run the Uninstall from here? http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html  Flash Player does not remove from the Add/Remove section.

And did you follow the Install  by Installing from here?

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Adobe has provided instructions for a clean Uninstall of the old version of FP and a clean Install of the latest version.

There are certain things that must be followed for each in order to have a successful Install.

Please post back should you have any questions and what you find out after checking the above. This way I'll have a better idea of exactly what your problem is.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed the instructions but Flash Player still does not work with You Tube

I have put my answers within your paragraphs.

Noel Werking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed you said you updated javascript, do you mean java? Old versions of java sometimes get left behind, even if you removed from add/remove programs, and old versions of java are known to interfere with flash as well. Instruction on how to remove old versions and how to install the latest version are available here: http://java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

After the section in uninstall about add/remove there is a link to download a cleanup tool, be sure to follow that.

I feel like we're shooting in the dark though, so can you reply after you've done this, with all the steps you've completed so far, and a clear description of the issue that is occurring.

For brevity, if you've followed a link and completed the steps at that link you can simply post I completed these steps: link, and these steps, link, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is Active X settings, but without seeing what you've done, or more details, it is difficult to narrow down.

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VetteCouple, For some reason when posters try to insert into an existing post, it doesn't work. Please just use the reply feature. I've had this happen before, don't know where the info went, but it disappeared:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using XP SP3 too. why does the very player not function with i.explorer?

Can not see movies / slide shows on web-pages, for example on www.elle.ru - here or here

I have loaded  flash palyer and javascript. anybody help plz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miss Kristen, I would follow the instructions I just posted before you posted.

Thanks

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear VetteCouple,

Make sure there is no software that can block objects while browsing on the internet. For instance, adware and nod32. Also, check if Windows Defender is activated as it may be blocking portions of websites using Flash.

In the other hand, as other posts have commented make sure to check for the latest version of Flash and maybe you can consider checking for security or software updates for Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps,

Vicente.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the procedures below and it worked. Flash Player works with You Tube and IE8. I got the fix from Microsoft after a curt email voicing my displeasure with their support. Adobe was no help at all because Flash Player is free.

Regarding this issue, it may be caused by one of the following factors.

1.      Corrupted Adobe Flash Player

2.      Incorrect IE settings

At this point, I suggest we refer to the following steps to check this issue.

Step 1: Reset Internet Explorer

====================

For Internet Explorer 6.0:

-----------------------------

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2. Select the "General" tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click "Delete Cookies", and click "OK".

3. In the same tab click "Delete Files", check the "Delete all offline contents" box and click "OK".

4. Click the "Programs" tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".

5. Click the "Advanced" tab, and click "Restore Defaults".

6. Under the "Advanced" tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" (requires restart).

7. Click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 7.0:

1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet Options".

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Refer to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section, and click "Reset".

4. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

5. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

6. Click "Apply", click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 8.0:

1. Click "Start", click "Run", please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter" to open the Internet options window.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4. Check "Delete personal settings" and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6. Launch "Internet options" window and switch to the "Advanced" tab again.

7. Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" in the Settings box.

8. Switch to the "General" tab, click "Use Blank" under the Home page area

9. Click "Apply" and “OK".

10. Close the Internet Explorer window.

Step 2: Manually Install Adobe Flash Player

============================

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Double click to install Adobe Flash Player.

Then please check if our issue still persists. If not, please help me to collect the following information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VetteCouple, glad to hear you have solved some of your problems. I am just curious, are all of the instructions that

you posted from Microsoft? I am very surprised that they took the time to instruct you on IE6, IE7, and IE8. Or were part

of the instructions you listed from another source?

My understanding is that Microsoft offers support for IE8 users, but I certainly was not aware of IE6, and IE7 support unless you pay for it.

You said Adobe does not offer Flash Player support because it is a free application. Adobe provides the Flash Player Forum and many users receive help here.

I had responded to you, but you failed to post back.

I take exception to your statement that you infer that Microsoft made, in that the problem "may be caused by a "Corrupted Adobe Flash Player" The Adobe Flash Player is not corrupted as you infer and then try to say that Microsoft told you that! If the Adobe Flash Player was corrupted it would not work for anyone, or do they pick and choose?

My opinion is that all of the post you made is from another source and not from Microsoft, especially since the statement

you included at the end, to wit: "Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information"

Sorry, I for one do not believe a word you posted.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it worked. It all came form Microsoft. Adobe did not offer any direct

help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further more I was trying to help. I don't appreciate your tone or attitude.

Here is the email address of the Microsoft help person.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support Service. My name is XXXXX, and I

will be assisting you with this case. You can contact me by writing an email

to v-30alya@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID SRX1124049723 in the

subject line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well you should have verified the copy and paste in that post instead of blaming Adobe. Anyone can copy and paste anything as you know.

I didn't expect you to appreciate my tone nor my attitude. I also speak with the Microsoft Support Techs. Mostly they follow a programmed script. Here on the Adobe forum as many as possible receive a one on one support. I had posted

to you and requested in Post#2 information so that I could determine what your problem was. Your reply was lacking

and when I asked you to repost because the format did not accept the way you tried to respond to me you did not. You said in your Post#6 that you followed "the instructions" which said nothing. That was because even tho you directed that reply to me it was meaningless since other people were giving you instructions as well.

Had I not seen that the other instructions were incorrect and were offering you solutions before they did not know what

the problems were I would not have bothered responding to you. I was simply giving you very good advice and questions

for you to respond to and trying to keep you from following incorrect advice from people "guessing" what might be the

solution for you without knowing the problem.

Some people come on the Flash Forum and on purpose or lack of knowledge cause many other users more problems than they had when they first posted their thread. They follow these "experiments,  suggestions, inaccurate advice and yes sometimes downright malicious suggestions"  When I see that I respond, sometimes directly to the poster and othertimes to the person that posted the thread and are seeking help in good faith.

So the next time I hear from you it is in the form of a copy and paste and blaming Adobe and then saying Microsoft told you this. Well, that doesn't make the advice you posted the right advice either and then to say that Microsoft doesn't guarantee the accuracy of this information that you just posted took the cake in my opinion. And that is why I responded as I did.

I will say this, this Adobe Flash Forum and all of the rest of the Adobe Forums have more experts when it comes to anything Adobe than Microsoft has all put together. And I love Mircosoft and Bill Gates , so that is saying something coming from me.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at Microsoft myself. The purpose of the statement regarding "Microsoft cannot ensure the accuracy..." is regarding the link. Because we do not work for Adobe nor mandate the work they do, we cannot be certain that they do not change their links. I also work on projects where precise instructions are required. We try to be as Mom friendly as possible (not saying there aren't Moms that know more about this stuff than I do, I just mean trying to give instructions as if we were giving them to our own mothers, who are mostly not computer savvy).

That said, the support here on the forums is good, and individualized, and if a user wants to spend the time coming back and trying different things, posting replies, checking for responses, etc. this can be really helpful. The method provided is a common way to go about Troubleshooting, and one I prefer to start with, and have suggested previously. However, it is a shotgun vs. scalpel approach. It is also possible that "corrupted Flash Player" meant that the install was corrupted, not flash player as a whole, just the instance on her box, possibly due to a registry key, or conflicting add-ons from other manufacturers. It stinks that we didn't find out exactly what the cause of the problem was in this instance, but I am glad the issue was resolved.

Please be kind to us here at Microsoft. We are also trying to help.

David

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is additional information on Reset Internet Explorer that should be considered before using.

This is important information and is addressed to anyone that may think about following the suggestions here about

Resetting Internet Explorer. These instructions were listed by the poster VetteCouple in Post#10. She stated she received

this fix from Microsoft. Some of these suggestions were listed in Post #1. Now today a poster, MS_DaveH commented in

Post #15 and also edited Post #1, #9 and #15 to add the statement that he/she work at Microsoft.

The following information is for those that may read this thread to be aware of the possible consequences of Resetting

Internet Explorer. The following links are directly from Microsoft on their Website.

The first one is entitled "Reset Internet Explorer 8 Settings" for Vista. They also have all Vista versions.

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-8-settings

The second one is entitled "Reset Internet Explorer 7 Settings" for Vista  They also have all Vista versions.

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-7-settings

The next one is entitled "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" for Windows 7  (uses IE8)

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

The section "Internet Explorer Settings that are effected by a reset" Please read the tables that list the changes. 

Thank you for reading. I have always believed that it is a good thing to know and understand any changes one makes

to their computer and the consequences of those changes.

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add'l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information is regarding Resetting Internet Explorer for IE6. The Microsoft information for IE6 is somewhat different

than my previous post Resetting Internet Explorer in IE7 and IE8.  In IE6, the Resetting is done individually. Following are

changes per Setting:

When you go to Tools and click on Internet Options and click on the Tab Programs and Click "Reset Web Settings", this

resets to Default the Home Page and Search Pages.

Clicking on the Advanced Tab and clicking on "Restore Defaults" This changes all of the following settings:

Accessibility, Browsing, HTTP Settings, Java, Microsoft VM, Multi-media, Printing, Searching and Security.  In other words

ALL of your settings are changed.

I have an additional comment regarding these, what I consider Drastic actions, to Install the Adobe Flash Player. I have been on this Adobe Flash Forum for sometime and I have NEVER heard of such a thing before. I have spoken with different

Microsoft Technicians on the PCSafety line, with non-Technical helpers and those that are very Technical and have NEVER

been told to enact these changes for ANY issue.

My opinion is this: If these drastic actions were needed to Install Flash Player, don't you think Adobe would have these

listed among their Install Instructions, or at the very least their Troubleshooting guides?

These Resetting Internet Exporer Settings suggestions are NOT needed. Users need to keep in mind that Adobe is not an island unto itself. Microsoft and Adobe work together and when NEITHER suggest this in order to Install the Adobe Flash Player, then "buyer beware", or in this case, Users Beware.

Thank you for reading this.

Regards,

eidnolb

One last comment, I have taken the time to post this information that is contained in Post#16 & Post#17 for the benefit of

all users that come here for help, advice and instruction with their Flash Player issues.

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add'l comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting IE is a shotgun approach, but may be much easier (and faster) for a user than trying to troubleshoot and find exactly which add-on, control, setting is causing issues. For a fast approach, you can reset IE, then start re-installing the add-ons you wish to use. Here is a kb that describes the process and even provides a Fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If you’d like to troubleshoot, here are some steps that will fix most issues with Internet Explorer and Add-ons. This can be more of a scalpel approach, and could help you save your cookies, stored passwords, etc.

1)      Update your Windows software

a.       Follow the steps below to view updates that are available for your computer.

i.      Click to go online to the Windows Update website

1.       Note: If Microsoft Update is not installed, you will be taken to the Windows Update website. See the note below if Microsoft Update is not installed.

ii.      Click Custom to check for available updates. In the left pane, under Select by Type, click each of the following links to view all available updates:

1.       High Priority

2.       Software, Optional

3.       Hardware, Optional

iii.      Select the updates you want, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.

b.      What do I do if Microsoft Update is not installed?

i.      Follow the steps below to install Microsoft Update and check for updates.

1.       Click to go online to the Windows Update website

2.       Click the Go button next to the Get Microsoft Update Today and then click Start Now.

3.       Review the license agreement, and then click Continue.

4.       After setup is complete, click Check for Updates.

5.       Click Custom to check for available updates. In the left pane, under Select by Type, click each of the following links to view all available updates:

a.       High Priority

b.      Software, Optional

c.       Hardware, Optional

6.       Select the updates you want, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.

2)      Turn off Internet Explorer add-ons you don't recognize

a.       When you visit a website, an add-on might be downloaded without your knowledge, or you might be prompted to download an add-on. These add-ons might cause Internet Explorer to run slowly or become unresponsive. You should remove all Internet Explorer add-ons you don't recognize or trust.

b.      How do I spot malicious add-ons?

i.      You can usually spot malicious add-ons under the Name column in the Manage Add-ons dialog box. Malicious add-ons might have:

1.       Blank names.

2.       Names that include random characters or have a sequence of numbers and letters (for example, fhriduvh.dll or f6rid8vh.exeas as opposed to Windows Messenger).

3.       A publisher name you might not recognize.

c.       How do I disable an add-on?

i.      Open Internet Explorer.

ii.      Depending on your version of Internet Explorer, do one of the following:

1.       In Internet Explorer 6, click the Tools menu, and then click Manage Add-ons.

2.       In Internet Explorer 7, click the Tools menu, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons.

3.       In Internet Explorer 8, click the Tools menu, click Manage Add-ons, and then click Toolbars and Extension (if necessary). Also note the drop down list labeled “Show:” You are interested in Add-ons and Downloaded

4.       Follow these steps to determine the version of Internet Explorer you're using:

a.       Open Internet Explorer.

b.      Press ALT+H, and then click About Internet Explorer.

c.       How can I find which version of Internet Explorer I'm using if it won't launch?

i.      If you're unable to launch Internet Explorer you can use the following steps to determine the version you're using:

1.       Click Start, click Run, type %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer, and then click OK.

2.       Right-click iexplore, click Properties, and then click Version.

3.       Under Item name, click File Version. The version number appears under Value to the right of File Version.

a.       Note:If the file version number begins with 6, you have Internet Explorer 6. If the file version number begins with 7, you have Internet Explorer 7. If the file version number begins with 8, you have Internet Explorer 8.

d.      If you aren't using the latest version of Internet Explorer, consider updating.

i.      How do I update to the latest version of Internet Explorer?

1.       Click to download and install the latest version of Internet Explorer        

ii.      How can I update Internet Explorer without launching my web browser?

1.       Click to go online to the Windows Update website.

2.       Click Custom to check for available updates.

3.       In the left pane, under Select by Type, click Software, Optional.

4.       Select the Internet Explorer update, and then click Review and install updates.

iii.      Click the name of the add-on.

1.       Click Disable. You might have to restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

2.       Why do some add-ons include (Not verified) in the Publisher column?

a.       If (Not verified) is displayed in the Publisher column in the Manage Add-ons dialog box, the add-on itself is not digitally signed even though the program that installed it might be. A digital signature verifies that a file comes from the person or publisher it claims to be from, and that no one has tampered with it since it was digitally signed.

3.       How do I disable an add-on if I can't access Internet Explorer?

a.       Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

b.      Double-click Internet Options.

c.       Click the Programs tab, and then click Manage Add-ons.

d.      Click the name of the add-on you want to disable, and then select Disable.

e.      When the Add-on Status dialog box appears, click OK to close it.

3)      Perform a free Full Service Scan using Windows Live OneCare safety scanner (not necessary if you don’t suspect viruses and are confident in the protection you have on your machine).

a.       Go to the following website, and then click Full Service Scan: Windows Live OneCare safety scanner

i.      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56726

If you are still experiencing issues, perform these steps. If the issue subsides, you may discontinue the remainder of the steps

1)      Disable all add-ons (one at a time) until you can no longer reproduce the problem

a.       Close all Internet Explorer windows.

b.      Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

c.       Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Internet Options.

d.      Click the Programs tab, and then click Manage Add-ons.

e.      Click the name of the add-on you want to turn off, and then, under Settings, click Disable.

f.        Click OK.

g.       Restart Internet Explorer. Continue using Internet Explorer the same way you did when you received a crash report. If Internet Explorer continues to crash after disabling this add-on, continue with the next step.

h.      Repeat steps b through g for each add-on listed. When you can no longer reproduce the problem, the most recently disabled add-on is the cause of the problem. Once you discover the add-on that is causing the issues, you can uninstall it (use Manufacturer’s uninstaller if one is provided) then if you wish to continue to use the add-on, install the latest version from the manufacturer’s site.

2)      Turn off all third-party browser extensions (also known as add-ons)

a.       Depending on your version of Internet Explorer, do one of the following:

i.      In Internet Explorer 7, do the following:

1.       Close all Internet Explorer windows.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type iexplore.exe –extoff, and then click OK.

3.       Internet Explorer will open a new window with all add-ons turned off.

ii.      In Internet Explorer 6, do the following:

2.       Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3.       Double-click Internet Options.

4.       Click the Advanced tab.

5.       Under Browsing, clear the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart) check box.

6.       Restart Internet Explorer.

7.       Note:When you turn off third-party browser extensions and restart Internet Explorer, all third-party browser extensions will be unavailable. You can easily turn on these components again.

b.      If you are still experiencing issues in No Add-ons mode, consider resetting IE

3)      Reset Internet Explorer settings

a.       Warning:Resetting Internet Explorer's settings is irreversible. After a reset, all previous settings are lost and can't be recovered.

b.      If you can open Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

c.       If you can’t open Internet Explorer:

i.      For Internet Explorer 6.0:

1.       Click "Start", "Run", type: "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2.       Select the "General" tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click "Delete Cookies", and click "OK".

3.       In the same tab click "Delete Files", check the "Delete all offline contents" box and click "OK".

4.       Click the "Programs" tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".

5.       Click the "Advanced" tab, and click "Restore Defaults".

6.       Under the "Advanced" tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" (requires restart).

7.       7. Click "OK".

ii.      For Internet Explorer 7.0:

2.       Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3.       Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Internet Options.

4.       Click the Advanced tab.

5.       Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.

6.       Click Reset, click Close, and then click OK.

7.       Restart Internet Explorer.

iii.      For Internet Explorer 8.0:

1.       Click "Start", click "Run", please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter" to open the Internet options window.

2.       Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3.       Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4.       Check "Delete personal settings" and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5.       Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6.       Launch "Internet options" window and switch to the "Advanced" tab again.

7.       Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" in the Settings box.

8.       Switch to the "General" tab, click "Use Blank" under the Home page area

9.       Click "Apply" and “OK".

10.   Close the Internet Explorer window.

If you reset IE, you are now in a clean state, and IE itself should be working okay. You can begin to reinstall the latest version of the add-ons you choose to use from the Manufacturer’s websites. I do not recommend other sites that distribute 3rd party add-ons as they often distribute older versions, which could then put your IE back in a bad state. Install add-ons one at a time, and test that they are working before installing additional add-ons, this way if one introduces a problem you know what caused it and can un-install it or contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting if applicable.

David

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to note, that just because a specific add-ons is blamed for a crash, it is not necessarily that add-on that caused the problem. Internet explorer shares its memory space with all of the add-ons that load inside of it. In instances where you notice a crash, it is often because one of the add-ons cause a corruption in memory. When another add-on goes to access the data that it stored in that location, you'll often see a crash. I'm washing over a lot of details, but I wanted to be clear that just because flash is affected, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was caused by Adobe. With flash player being a free product, and b/c there is often no way to identify the exact cause of these types of crashes and issues without specific debugging tools, I wouldn't expect Adobe, or other companies for that matter, to invest in telephone/chat support. I don't think the gentleman who helped Vette meant that Adobe was to blame for the problem. I also don't think it is wrong that Adobe didn't offer direct support. These forums are great, and the posters here have helped many issues get fixed, and this system works for a lot of people.

David

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4.       Check "Delete personal settings" and click "Reset" to confirm the

operation.

5.       Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6.       Launch "Internet options" window and switch to the "Advanced" tab

again.

7.       Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" in the Settings

box.

8.       Switch to the "General" tab, click "Use Blank" under the Home page

area

9.       Click "Apply" and “OK".

10.   Close the Internet Explorer window.

If you reset IE, you are now in a clean state, and IE itself should be

working okay. You can begin to reinstall the latest version of the add-ons

you choose to use from the Manufacturer’s websites. I do not recommend other

sites that distribute 3rd party add-ons as they often distribute older

versions, which could then put your IE back in a bad state. Install add-ons

one at a time, and test that they are working before installing additional

add-ons, this way if one introduces a problem you know what caused it and

can un-install it or contact the manufacturer for troubleshooting if

applicable.

David

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying all kinds of solutions, including re-installing the Flash player multiple times, I fixed IE8's inability to play Flash:

Tools > Manage Add-Ons
Select "Shockwave Flash Object"

If the Enable button is showing in the bottom right, click it

Right click "Shockwave Flash Object" and select > More Information

Click "Allow On All Sites" (an asterisk will appear)

Click Okay (or Save)

This worked for me. Not sure why it wasn't enabled in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DV, That is such helpful info, I just wish you would have posted that to the current thread. I'm sure it took a lot of time to find this old thread.

There is a thread about IE8 and XP just a few threads down, too bad you didn't see it. You were probably looking for this one, I suppose.

Sorry to hear that you tried all kinds of solutions, including re-installing Flash Player so many times. You should have posted your own thread. If there is anything that is discussed on this Flash Forum it is the SHOCKWAVE FLASH OBJECT!!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry; I came here from Google, and didn't see the list. I'll go have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens somtimes when you upgrade flashplayer is that the browser believes it has the latest version and will report that version via javascript but the browser will load the old plugin. Solution is to uninstall and reinstall flashplayer.

This webiste have a test to see if JS reporting the same version as the the actualy plugin that is loaded.

http://millionmind.com/ie8_faulty_flash_player_installation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines