• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is anyone else having frequent frozen editor problems?

Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My editor freezes on me every day, at least once, and sometimes a lot more. Today it's happened 4 times. I never know when it's going to happen, but it seems to happen more often when I'm working on large files with a mix of cfscript, cftags and html syntax. To get back to work, I have to close the eclipse window, sometimes clicking the close box 2 or 3 times, then force quit the eclipse process from the task manager, and then I can restart eclipse.

I'm running Windows 7 (x64), eclipse 3.5.1 build M20090917-0800  (x32) and ColdFusion Builder 1.0.0.263215

I cannot start without errors that show up in my log, even after I clear it.

I attached my log file.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I had this a lot on Windows 7.  The current public beta (is it B3?) of CFB was unusable for me.  B2 was better, but I think it will have expired by now.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have fixed a couple of freeze issues repoerted in Beta3 build.

Looking at the log file you attached, it is not clear what the problem could be. However a few stack traces obtained when CFB is not responding will help us debug the problem. You can get more information about getting stack traces of CFB at http://blogs.adobe.com/cfbuilder/2009/12/reporting_one-off_issues_with.html

One question for you - do you normally open files for editing in CFB from projects in Navigator or from RDS file view?

-Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open files from the Navigator, but I'm don't know if I'm looking at the RDS File View. How can I tell? When I click on the view menu button in the Navigator frame, I see Select Working Set, Deselect Working Set, Sort, Filter, and Link With Editor. Not sure if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened again... I attached a dump file created from http://www.adaptj.com/main/download. Not sure if this is exactly what you need because I couldn't figure out what Process ID the eclipse process was running with. So I had the dump program do all of them, but it wasn't really done... seemed to stall out waiting for me to save the file. So this could be an incomplete file.

In the future, how would I figure out what process to dump?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the stack trace. However stack trace looks normal and not indicating any problem.

Could you post the Eclipse log again? I think the previous one you posted was the partial log. It would help to post the complete log.

And regarding you post earlier about navigator view, yes from  your the description it appears that you use Navigator view to open files. RDS File view is on the right side, in the same tab group as Outline  view and RDS Data view.

Thanks,

Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it would help us to reproduce and debug the problem if you could describe when this probelm occurs. Any actions you perform that result in freeze consistently? How do you typically use ColdFusion Builder?

-Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2010 Feb 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having frequent crashes on Win 7 x64. Tried turning off the syntax checking but hasn't seemed to make much difference. I have tried to get a thread dump but so far the console has crashed at the same time so will have to try alternative methods. There doesn't seem to be any pattern for when it freezes, I'll just be in the middle of typing in some code and it hangs. I'll have to try and pay attention and see if the size of the file I'm working on makes a difference. I open my files through the project navigator only and the associated localhost server is always running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Redtopia & MaryJo,

Can you both please share your email addresses with us (dsarkar@adobe.com)? We would like to discuss and investigate this issue with you offline. We need more information from you which would help us resolve this.

Thanks,

Dipanwita

Adobe ColdFusion Builder Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MaryJo is describing the same behavior I'm seeing. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the freezes. I'll forward you my email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email and thread dump sent. Will try to help however I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MaryJo,

Were you able to install the update that was given to us? I just tried and my entire eclipse environment is now trashed. The first time I tried to install it, I selected the default location to install the ColdFusion Builder Plugins and then selected my eclipse folder, as requested. No luck... the ColdFusion Builder perspective did not load and eclipse didn't recognize any ColdFusion projects that were previously setup. So I reinstalled and selected the eclipse folder for the location to install the ColdFusion Builder plugins, and that didn't work either. After uninstalling the second time, my eclipse environment will no longer run. I get the error: "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library"

So if you haven't installed yet, I recommend backing up your entire eclipse environment (which I didn't do!!! ouch.) before running the installer. It may be different for you if you are using the stand-alone version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CFBuilder as a stand-alone and didn't have any problems installing the new version that was sent to me (after uninstalling the old one).  Can't say yet if it's that's much more stable than the prior one, I've had one freeze so certainly can't say it's completely resolved. But at least I'm not having all the issues you are!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2010 Feb 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dipanwita,

I downloaded and ran the new installer (using the link you sent me) and I'm getting a message saying that I already have a version of ColdFusion Builder installed and that I have to first run the uninstaller. I'm not sure what uninstaller to run, and I definitely don't want to lose any of my local preference settings. I'm running CF Builder as a plugin. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit OS system and I have CFBuilder 2. I'm also experiencing frequent crashes. I installed the application two days ago and it has been crashing 4 to 5 times a day. Has this issue been resolved? At this point I'm about ready to uninstall and go back to ColdFusion Studio which doesn't have all the latest tag information but at least it doesn't crash on a daily basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, in OS X. (Snow Leopard)

It's a particular template.  Just an index.cfm, has some references to the ExtJS tag library in the head.  I open it from the Navigator, and /every time/ it pegs out my CPU and locks up the IDE.

Currently I'm at 99.6% CPU, 282MB of RAM and 508MB of Virtual Memory utilization.  It's literally the ONLY file I open, and I can consistently replicate it.  I sampled the process in the Activity Monitor and attached it, though by that time I pasted it and converted it to PDF the process finally subsided.  Probably took 10 minutes for the IDE to go back to 'normal'.

I'm also attaching the .cfm file, but there's not much to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on these freeze issues? I have been experiencing the same problems with the 3rd Beta release. This is becoming extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if this will help anyone else out, but I did a few things that /seem/ to be helping me, though time will tell if this persists.

First off, I noticed this post on Stack Overflow, about Eclipse RAM utilization and some recommended VM settings, and made some updates to my config.ini file in the 'configuration' subfolder based on the settings of the top-rated answerer.  Additionally, there was a mention of closing some projects being helpful, so I went through the several projects I have open and closed many of them which I don't use very frequently.

Since then, I haven't gone over 512MB of RAM utilization, and haven't noticed any major issues, except on startup.

On startup, there's a good 5 minutes where the IDE is pretty much unusable, while it Builds the workspace and other rigamarole which one would /think/ is unnecessary, considering it 'saved workspace' when I shut down the previous time....but who knows.  Being built on Eclipse, there are probably some glitches here that are also shared by Eclipse.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but it seems to be working for me...on OS X.  Your mileage may very.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Shawn, I looked at my memory usage a few times while Eclipse was hung and it looked fine. Plus, I don't think that making adjustments to Eclipse settings is the best solution (duct tape on a leaky pipe). The first 2 betas did not have the same problem (at least for me), so I think this has something to do with bad code being introduced into the 3rd beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently fixed one issue where CFB used to stop responding after using for few hours - in this case stack trace looked normal and showed that the main UI thread was waiting for OS messages, but the UI did not respond. There was a resource leak that was causing this issue.

-Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ram, Is that patch part of the current Beta download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the patch is not released publicly yet and no decision is taken yet on when to release it. We have given the new build to few users who had reported this issue and are in the process of confirming if it fixed their issues.

-Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I will look forward to that... Eclipse just froze on me for the third time this evening.

Started with a bunch of these in the error log "Error occurred during status handling." and then a bunch of these "Unhandled event loop exception."

Does that sound like the same issue you are referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm after looking at stack trace (when CFB stopped responding) and Eclipse log. You can e-mail me at rakulkar@adobe.com

-Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issues also showed up with the 3rd beta (have used all three). The latest build from Ram does seem to be working much better for me, but will reserve judgment until I have a few more heavy days of use under my belt. Crash-free all day today though, so definitely am improvement over having several crashes a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation