Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color Settings Unsynchronized

Feb 18, 2010 7:26 AM

I am a photographer and I always start CS3 from Lightroom 2.6. I never use Bridge. I use no other CS applications.

In Color Settings in CS3, I have been using Photoshop 5 Default Spaces and the note says that my Creative Suite applications are synchronized.

However, if I want to switch to Adobe RGB as my working space in CS3, as soon as I select it, it says my Creative Suite applications are not synchronized.

What applications is this note referring to?

How do I synchronize them, assuming I need to?

Thanks,

Russ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2010 8:10 AM   in reply to Arkayem

Synchronizing is no big deal as long as you know what the different options do. My color settings are unsynchronized on purpose, I have different settings for PS, AI and ID. But if you want to synchronize, you do it in Bridge, Edit > Suite Color Settings.

I looked up PS 5 default and I think you can safely ditch that. If you ever use CMYK you'll definitely want something other than "Photoshop 5 Default CMYK", whatever that is. ("Standard" CMYK depends on where you are anyway).

If you want to use Adobe RGB, just do it. It's a very good all-purpose RGB working space. What you choose under Color Management Policies is equally important, however. I'd recommend "preserve embedded profiles" and checked warnings for mismatched and missing profiles. At least for now - you can turn those off later.

Just remember to convert to sRGB for web use.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2010 2:06 PM   in reply to Arkayem
    I assume that Lightroom doesn't do any color space assignments until you print

I'm not familiar with Lightroom, but you can export (not just print) in any color space you want.

Anyway synchronizing is between applications in the Creative Suites, it doesn't apply to Lightroom which is not included in any suite. Is this a standalone Photoshop? If so you shouldn't even be getting that message, because there's nothing to synchronize.

If you do have a suite, just make sure the color settings are the same in all the apps. That's as synchronized as they will ever get.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have export settings in Lightroom different than your Photoshop working space, and that this also sets off the synchronizing alert. Again, it's not a problem, but there's little point in using Adobe RGB in Photoshop if it gets sRGBs from Lightroom.

sRGB is a much narrower color space than Adobe RGB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points