Skip navigation
Can_Ada
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with 9.3 Reader when opening files from internet

Feb 18, 2010 1:27 PM

I keep receiving the message 'There is a problem with Adobe/Acrobat Reader.  Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and try again' when trying to open come files on the internet.  I am able to open files from my hard drive and some files from the internet.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Reader, but get same result.  Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2010 10:33 PM   in reply to Can_Ada

Same problem here on my work PC no matter what I or IT support tried we still couldn't get it to work.

In the end we were just forced to revert to the previous V8.x.  Sorry thats probably not much help to you.

Strangely my home PC is fine with V9.3 but then again its not got all the corporate controls and policies inflicted on my work PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 9:01 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

I am having the exact same problem.  I can open PDFs in Adobe Reader (AR) version 9.3 without any problem when opening directly with AR.  However, when on some webpages, I click to open the PDF and it just spins seemingly forever, and then I get the following message:  "There is a problem With Adobe Acrobat/Reader. Please exit Adove Acrobat/Reader and try again.  OK"  (see attachment)

I have unistalled the program to include Adobe Air, restarted my machine, downloaded the program again, and reinstalled.  I still get the same results.

This is very frustrating.  In my job we are constantly creating PDFs and uploading them to our webpage.  I create a PDF, upload it, and then cannot open it.  I desperately need AR to do my job.

I am using Windows 7 and running Internet Explorer 8.

Is the only solution to install an older version (8) of AR?  Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 8:55 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

I can not view embedded PDF files with 9.3. If I install 8.2 embedded PDF files work just fine from within a webpage. Any ideas why this is happenign?????

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 10:37 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

Have discovered the solution to this problem!!!  Go to this link:

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201007/5257/Adobe-offers-flaw ed-version-of-Reader-after-update

Steve Ragan's article in The Tech Herald gives you the correct information.

Essentially, you must install  Acrobat Reader (AR) version 9.3 and then IMMEDIATELY open  AR and Check for Updates in the Help Menu.  Your should get an offer to update to:  Adobe Reader 9.3.1 (CPSID_50570).  Download and install this update.

I did so and now am able to easily and very quickly open any PDFs from within the website where I am working. 

Success at last!!  Hurrah!

Enjoy,

pspar

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 10:40 AM   in reply to Ubuntu17

I have discovered the solution and posted it to the Adobe Forum.

I have tested the solution and IT WORKS!!!

Adobe Reader is NOT the solution as it has to many critical

vulnerabilities.

Read the information I provide at the link in the forum.  It explains

everything.

Cheers,

pspar

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 10:41 AM   in reply to Ubuntu17

I meant to say, Adobe Reader vers. 8.2 is NOT the solution.  Regrets...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to pspar

I am running Adobe Reader v9.3.1 (not v9.3) on a Windows 7 64 bit OS. 

I have been having the same problems opening pdf files as described above.

The following two solutions work for me:

1.  disable the Google tool bar. 

or

2.  Open Adobe Reader,

go to edit menu,

under Preferences

go to Internet, uncheck "Display pdf in browser"

The pdf files then open, but not in the browser

Take your choice.  Either works for me.

too green (maybe I am not as "green" as I thought)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 11:43 AM   in reply to too green

I have tried both of your suggestions and still I can not view embedded PDF files in webpages. This is getting very frustrating, I have no idea why Reader 8 will work but 9 will not. Is there a posibility of a group policy or firewall setting that might be causing the problem? I know i might be grasping at straws here but I will try any suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 7:38 AM   in reply to Ubuntu17

I'm sorry it won't work for ytou.  By the way I only have trouble with IE 8.  Firefox 3.5.7 opens the offending pdf's without a problem.

Too Green

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 8:51 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

I am also having this issue, most pcs in the office are affected. as far as i can tell its only effecting pdf files larger then around 450kb anything smaller opens fine. other pdf viewers like foxit will open all files fine. ive tried. im trying this on a fresh installed of windows 7 64bit, and clean install of adobe 9.3, and then upgraded to 9.3.1

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to Newtonej

Well, my problem has gone away.  I now am able to open all the pdf files on our web site with the Google tool bar enabled and pdf reader v 9.3.1 set to "display pdf in browser."   My OS is Windows 7 professional 64 bit.  Incidently when I downloaded AdobeReader I got v9.3.1 without having to get any updates.

Several days ago I had to either disable the Google tool bar or set Adobe Reader to not display pdf files in browser. As far as I can tell I have not done anything else that would change the way pdf files open.

By the way file size did not seem to be the problem.  The largest of the files (144 KB) always opened without a problem.  The smaller files (between 28 - 138 KB) were the problem.

I am afraid to believe the problem opening pdf files won't return.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 12:08 PM   in reply to Can_Ada

Any time I try to open a file with thi program I am always unable to do it, but I don't really know where the problem is, Please if you could give me an idea I would appreciate that.

Thank you

Marcelus

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to Can_Ada

I am having the same problem. I'm on Windows XP Home Edition.  Everything was hunky-dory with 8 but when I tried to open something on Adobe's web site it told me I had to upgrade to 9 to be able to view what they had posted. I did so and now I can't open anything on the web. Things NOT on web are okay but it just hangs if I try to open PDF in Mozilla Firefox. Haven't tried Internet Explorer yet.

I tried solutions mentioned previously (i.e., updates, etc.) but they don't work. I still have Reader 8 installed and it asked me when it was installing 9 if I wnated to continue primarily opening PDFs in 8 or in 9 and I chose 8. It told me I could change that whenever I wanted to but when I tried I couldn't figure out how to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 7:59 AM   in reply to Comcast Web Page

Did you try this as mentioned in my Feb. 19 post?

Open Adobe Reader,

go to edit menu,

under Preferences

As I mentiioned I have returned all the settings on my browser and in AdobeReader to their original settings and I now can open pdf files without a problem.  I did not download any updates to explain why the problem went away.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 8:03 AM   in reply to too green

Yes I have tried that and still nothing. However I did get my

network admin to look into it and we found that the page was sending a "text/html" content type when it should be sending a "application/PDF" content type. I have contacted the website and they are looking into it. Hopefully this is the problem because I have tried everything else Adobe suggested in this article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328233.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 6:54 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

Unfortunately for me the resolution of setting Reader as a helper program with IE is not an option.  My users are required to use webpages that require the ability to open PDF files within the browser.  None of my users has the Google toolbar installed so that is not the problem either.  Any other suggestions?  I believe this has to be a problem caused by Microsoft's last patch release because it worked fine before that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 12:55 PM   in reply to Can_Ada

I don't know which one solved my problem. Did the following :

1) Installed the updated for Adobe Reader 9.0, current version is 9.3.0

2) Uninstall google tool bar

3)Opned My computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types, look for Extensions PDF

Select that row, then click "change" button. Then you should see a window "Open with", click the browse button at the bottom

Select the file Program Files ->Adobe -> Reader 9.0 -> Reader ->  AcroRd32.exe.

I belive the 3rd step sloved the problem because after the first two steps, the problem did exists.

By the way I am on WinXp, IE 8. I didn't have this issue in firefox 3.5 or Safari.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 7:14 AM   in reply to oldschool10

Interesting.  Actually the latest version of AdobeReader for my OS (Windows 7 64 bit) is 9.3.1. This version downloaded without needing any updating. 

I have discovered that the only part of the Google tool bar that I need to disable is the translation feature.

On the Google tool bar

click on the options icon (a wrench)

go to Tools

scroll down to the bottom

uncheck Translate

I just tried installing the Google tool bar for Firefox and left all the default settings as set.  I can still open all the pdf file on our web site.  I have come to the conclusion that the problem for me is with Windows 7, IE 8, AdobeReader, and the Google Tool bar translation feature.

As an additional note.  I am web administrator for a web site that made use of the Google translation widget.  It worked until the sever was changed for the web site.  Then all sorts of strange things happened with my menu listings.  We had to remove the widget and make changes in the code to get rid of the offending problems. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 7:21 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

Have the same problem with Aobe Reader 9.3.1 in Windows 7 32-bit with IE 8 and it just started this week  .. suspect latest Windows Updates created

a conflict somewhere.  There is no problem in Firefox.

Two workarounds for IE 8 users, both have been mentioned,

1.  Uninstall Google Toolbar in IE 8 - can open pdf files in browser window

2.  Set Adobe Reader Preferences to NOT display PDF in browser window (uncheck box in Preferences) - can open PDF's with Google Toolbar installed, but not in a browser window.

Alternatively, use Firefox for a browser.  Like I said, all was well before this week in IE 8  and all remains well using Firefox as a browser with Google Toolbar installed.

EB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 12:32 PM   in reply to ftrades

I don't think this problem has much to do with the Google toolbar because I have the toolbar installed along with IE8 and I can sit and open PDF docs all day long and not have one problem.  And setting Reader as a helper application is an unacceptable solution for my users.

As I said in my previous post I believe this has to do with an update Microsoft did during the last patch Tuesday.

Any other suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 12:52 PM   in reply to Panozgrl

For my problem I can open up the PDF if I search through the source code and find the path to the PDF. I can then paste that into the address bar and the PDF opens just fine. It has to be the way the site has coded their embedded PDF files for them not to open because every other PDF file that is not embedded opens just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to Panozgrl

All I can tell you is I've proven my hopefully temporary "workaround" with both fixes.  In IE 8 on a Win 7 32-bit platform using Adobe Reader 9.3.1 I cannot open PDF files in a browser window with Google Toolbar [Version: 6.4.1321.1732/en (GGLL)  Notifier Version: 5.5.4723.1820]  installed and running.  I can open PDF files from weblinks directly with Adobe Reader set via the preferences to NOT open in a browser window (opens in an Acrobat Reader window),  and separately I can open in a browser Window if I uninstall Google Toolbar.  The combination (open PDF's in a browser window with IE8 that is running Google Toolbar) won't work on my platform.  In Firefox 3.6 there is no problem or conflict - everything works as it should.

The problem just started last Thursday.  Before that there was no problem.  So I too suspect either a Windows Update or a Google Toolbar update create the problem.  Tomorrow is update Tuesday - maybe we get lucky.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 1:47 PM   in reply to oldschool10

I'll  take back my previous post. As too green said, for me it was google toolbar and it's translate function. Un checking that one solved my issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 1:59 PM   in reply to oldschool10

" ....As too green said, for me it was google toolbar and it's translate function. Un checking that one solved my issue. "

------------------------------------------------------------------

I had missed that detail.  That fixed it for me too.  Many thanks!

EB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 2:09 PM   in reply to Jan Thyer

My problems with opening PDFs online both on XP and Snow Leopard seem to be miraculously resolved. Sorry, but I don't have a clue why!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 5:48 PM   in reply to Can_Ada

Hi,

I read all the posts on this topic and ran some experiments on my 'test' workstation.

Baseline: HP dc7900, 4GB, Win XP Pro (SP-3), all the updates/hotfixes, Acrobat Pro 8.2.1, FrameMaker 8.0p277, IE 8.0.6001.18702, TrendMicro AV.

FrameMaker does print to pdf/save to pdf with no problems. (Hi, Arnis)

1. Had Reader 9.2 installed, worked OK with IE 8.
    2. Updated Reader to 9.3.0 then 9.3.1. got the sad message about can't open files. Killed the Reader 9.3.1, IE 8 beeped -- message "download halted to protect yr PC, etc, etc." Allowed download of pdf file to temp area but won't allow viewing.
    3. Ran <Add or Remove Programs>, deleted Reader 9.3.1 et al.
    4. Installed Reader 9.1 from my download archive.
    5. Navigated to web page -- government tax site so prolly safe -- opened pdf file in browser. Can navigate back and forward OK.

Diagnosis: Acrobat Reader 9.3.x is Borked. For those who also follow the FrameMaker forums and the numerous posts re print to pdf/save as pdf from FrameMaker, I'd surmise that Acrobat Std/Pro/etc 9.3.x are also Borked.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 5:02 AM   in reply to Can_Ada

all a bit too tec for me, new computer running windows 7, adobe reader 9 doesnt work,  i just want to open the pdf downloads on

my website, new version of reader seems crap, had to uninstall

it and install pdf suite instead...where can i get the

old adobe 8 version again ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 5:22 AM   in reply to too green

This solution worked for me, but I still want to know how to make adobe

reader work well from within the web browser...

Any ideas how to fix the browser or adobe? I am enrolled in school and can't afford wasting time downloading pdf files unless I am saving them to my computer...

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 5:37 AM   in reply to Laurence Burrows

I was not able to find reader 9.1 grr... I had to download and reinstall 9.3.1 any links where I can find 9.1?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 7:10 AM   in reply to godsdragon

Try this

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ select your OS and language and you can choose to download 9.3.1 or 8.2

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 8:51 AM   in reply to wallywoowoo

As I posted on Feb. 19 this is what works for me.  OS is Windows 7 64-bit, AdoveReader 9.3.1., IE8.

Open Adobe Reader,

go to edit menu,

under Preferences

or if you have Google tool bar installed:

On the Google tool bar

click on the options icon (a wrench)

go to Tools

scroll down to the bottom

uncheck Translate

Or uninstall the Google tool bar.

Pdf files open without a problem in Firefox.

All of these solutions are easy.

Good luck,

Too Green

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 1:11 PM   in reply to Can_Ada

the firewal may stop the loading, it that isn't the problem try to uninstall and install the reader

acne for acne

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points