According to Secunia, my updated version of Adobe Acrobat Extended Pro 9.3.1 is insecure.
I have clicked on the Download Solution button on Secunia to obtain the latest Adobe Acrobat Version. After loading the latest version, I still have the following information.
Secunia points to the following file: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.dll
And reports that my version is: 18.104.22.168
Yet, when I fire up my Adobe Acrobat Extended and then go Help | About, I see the version is 9.3.1.
When Adobe updates Acrobat, does it leave insecure files behind? Is there anything I can do to ensure that my version of Adobe Acrobat is completely secure? How do I get Secunia to recognize my updated and, I hope, secure version?
I suspect that its latest version 9.3.1 is secure, at least for now.
My concern is that, for whatever reason, Secunia continues to think I have a prior version (22.214.171.124).
I had a similar problem with Flash. To solve my Adobe Flash problem, I used an Adobe uninstaller to completely remove Flash and then reinstall the latest version from Adobe web site.
I can't do that with my Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended. I need to get incremental upgrades through the upgrade process.
I have a hunch that the upgrades don't remove all the prior detritus from prior versions and that is tripping up the Secunia security.
I am hoping someone else has encountered the same issues and has found a solution.
Others are experiencing this problem as well. Here's a post over at the Secunia forum:
I hope someone finds an answer.
For those interested, here's Adobe's security bulletin:
Use Windows Explorer to find your acrobat.ext files. Right click the file and select properties. Under the General Tab you will see a Description. Press on and open the Version Tab and look at the version information and see if it coincides with the version you expect to find there.
I am hassling a parallel issue in Acrobat 8 Professional. I opened Help/Check For Updates and selected the 8.2.1 (CPSID_50570) update that was offered. I downloaded, installed, rebooted, navigated to acrobat.exe and I find that while the General Tab tells me I have 8.2, the Version Tab tells me that it is 126.96.36.199. Secunia says that is unsecure.
An employee from Secunia replied on the Secunia thread and indicated that they changed their rules for Adobe Acrobat. Now, everything is fine.
Here's the Secunia thread: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/3545
I hope this helps others.
As indicated in my prior comment, Secunia has changed its rules for Adobe Acrobat. My problem is now solved.
Edit: I needed to add this additional message to indicate that my problem is now solved. I wrote my previous reply in response to baumgrenze. However, my question was still classified as unsolved. So when I indicated that my problem was solved, I was prompted for a concluding response.
Message was edited by: Kevin H. Stecyk
Europe, Middle East and Africa