Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Request List

Oct 9, 2009 9:51 AM

• Ability to add additional applications (such as word, powerpoint, etc, and possibly even custom)
  • Share/Send with/to co-workers
    • Send an email invite, or link into an already active member giving them the option to join project
    • Export to PDF
    • Perhaps an RSS feed generated
  • Dates and Timeline
    • Already has the feel that X axis is time, so maybe allowing the interval and span to be set
  • Progress Indicator
    • Perhaps something simple like TaskFreak (http://www.taskfreak.com/) where its a simple click to do 20/40/60/80/100 percents
      • Would be great if number of progression boxes were changeable (some may want every 10%, while some may just want 0, 50, 100).
  • Task assignment
    • When you get into the sharing scenario you'd want to set tasks to individuals (possibly multiple per task)
  • Roles
    • Again, with sharing you want some people able to edit, while some can just watch, or just update own tasks
  • Attachements
    • Ability to attach files needed for tasks
    • Version history would be awesome
    • OS level tie-in like DropBox (http://getdropbox.com/) would be BEYOND awesome
  • Comments
    • Ability to add threaded comments to tasks and projects
    • Toggle-able
  • Extensions
    • Ability for community to build additions to this, maybe features like realtime collab/updates, custom integration to internal file storage, custom data submit to internal systems to maintain corporate requirements while still having flexibility of a REALLY functional tool
    • This could also be in the form of an API
  • Email notifications of updates (project, tasks, comments, files, etc)
  • Integration into CS5/Other
    • I would imagine when a CS/Adobe product is associated with a task it could show within a panel in that app so a user could check off progress (or maybe they are using one of the file attachments and it shows editing/locked status to other members) on a task

Yes... I DO want this to replace Basecamp

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2009 9:25 AM   in reply to mondomx

Hi there...

Thanks for all of these great suggestions -- I will take them back to the team as we look at upcoming versions of the product. I can tell you that the next release will support non-Adobe applications, so that already checks off one of them ;-)

Doug Winnie

Principal Product Manager

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2009 9:09 PM   in reply to dwinnie@adobe

I second attachments and extensions. It would be nice to run scripts directly from this app, or start from a template using this app.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to Justin Putney

Thanks for the additional feedback. We will have an updated version posted soon that will include some of the requests listed here. I'll be posting previews on the new beta features on my blog http://adobe.dougwinnie.com/ prior to the release.

Thanks for your continued interest and feedback!

Doug Winnie

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2010 1:16 PM   in reply to mondomx

Good job, But it's still can't support Unicode? like Chinese...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 12:23 AM   in reply to mondomx

Its nice to see some of this list is included in the .9 release. I have to disagree that WFL should be a replacement to basecamp.

Having the ability to share/view worksflows is important. Just as much so is the ability to edit each workflow and assign tasks. This would require a bit of backend work (users, passwords, etc.) and can get a bit out of hand and maybe not easy to set up on a (local) server. But it very well could be done.

Progress Indicator outside of .9's "In Progress" , "Completed" indications are useless. I can't imagine many people updating their tasks so often that any thing more would be needed. Although an overall project progress indicator would be nice.

Attachments probably should not be handled through an app such as this. Space would need to be allocated and managed and dealt with. Teams could/should manage files more appropriately (svn, github, whatever).

Notifications would be nice to be handled in a much more AIR style (see TweetDeck for example) or Mail.app style (Growl + new/changed indicators). Constant email notification, like those from Basecamp, are downright annoying and often times ignored.

Definitely the most important feature is Sharing. Once that is figured out WFL will be very useful.

-Antonio

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 10:13 AM   in reply to __antonio__

Thanks for the great feedback...

You mention that you don't want WorkflowLab to replace BaseCamp. I agree, I love BaseCamp :-) You mention using notifications though, and I'm curious what you would want to be notified about...

Thanks

Doug

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to dwinnie@adobe

Doug,

This is a bit tricky. I can imagine there being a million different scenarios for notifications. but keeping it simple would probably work best.

I can see something like:

Project: Project name

Task:     Task changed/added/removed

Change Info: quick detail of change.

then when clicked or next time WFL is opened, changes / new might have some kind of indicator (like Mail.app's dock icon)

just ideas.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 12:14 PM   in reply to __antonio__

These are good ideas...Right now, you can open a workflow from a URL, but we aren't sending out notifications on changes or other events...But this is something we are considering for a future version.

Thanks!

Doug

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2010 12:14 AM   in reply to dwinnie@adobe

Doug,

A few more feature requests:

1. Double clicking on a task could up more information. Weither it be just Annotations or another window combining Annotations, Category selection, status, etc.

2. I almost feel like there should be two tool bars. One for overall workflow and one for specific tasks. Or at the very least, a text field in the title bar telling me what workflow is open if a task is selected.

3. It would be nice if the space outside of a task does not select the task. This is especially problematic if the screen is filled with tasks. Theres no way to get to the overall workflow details.

4. Shift+Click, Cmd/Cntrl+Click to select multiple tasks to move, reorder, lengthen, etc.

5. When dragging a task could it snap to certain increments? Every 15 minutes when in Hours mode, every half day when in days mode, etc.

6. Hours mode: Would it be possible to also have days associated? I.e. every day would be separated so a task could be specified as to which day it is to be worked on.

7. in regards to number 6. It would be even more awesome to have some kind of calendar integrated so that a start and end date could be identified and altered.

8. It would be nice to be able to close a workflow without having to open an existing one or creating a new one. Closing would probably take you back to the Welcome Screen.

9. When no specific task is selected can clicking the Details panel work the same as when a task is selected. I.e. add annotations and resources, etc. Right now it has the edit button by the workflow name but I didn't realize I could click that to add annotation.

Just an idea:

What if you could start off with a certain large increment of time, say a year, then drill down into a segment to see another set of "tasks" then drill further until you come to the smallest increment of time and the tasks on that timeline?

Ok, that is all for now. But I'll be back.

Thanks,

Antonio (@antonioholguin)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to mondomx

Is there plans to have an API or release the Flex code so WorkflowLab can pull data from Basecamp or another system to get a quick overview? Or once it is updated then it updates another system like Basecamp?

Then I think it can be a truly useful tool and not just another place to enter data.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2010 2:00 PM   in reply to __antonio__

All great ideas...Reponses:

1: We are going to adjust how to you interact with the details of the task. This will evolve over time, but you'll see that we'll be moving towards something more consistent in the next release.

2: This i interesting. Do you mean a running toolbar that is a rollup of everything at the top? To mayble show a compressed version?

3: We are going to address this in the next version. This is to address another feature that we are working on as well.

4: Also under consideration

5: Hadn't thought about this -- Right now the duration grid is just a guide, the tasks don't actually map to a specific time or duration. We did this to keep the tool less "project management"-ish and more natural to ebb and flow with general workflows.

6: Not quite sure what you mean by this one

7: "Even more awesome" - I agree! ;-) As I mentioned, the tasks don't have start dates, end dates or duration. That is something we can consider for the future.

8: We're working on this -- this was an oversight on my part :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2010 2:02 PM   in reply to t3kn0ph34r

Basecamp integration is something we are considering, but we need to do more research on how to implement this. If you have ideas/thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Doug

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2010 2:06 PM   in reply to mondomx

These are great ideas...Some thoughts:

>>I'd like to add Right-click support too. Like right clicking the "stage"/background will give me context menue where I can add a new task, delete, or edit workflow details.

Right-click support is on the feature list, but we aren't able to get to it quite yet--stay tuned.

>>How about more than 9 catagories? Maybe an Add Catagory button. And these carry over from other flows, like global additions. Maybe I am using them wrong, but I am using this as showing who the task is assigned to... ie, developer 1,2,3, etc.

Are you thinking of universal categories that extend beyond a workflow? Would you want that extended to custom tools too?

>>Multiple windows/flows, that I can switch back-and-forth between... maybe even copy/paste between.

Awesome idea. In the plan, but not in development quite yet...

>>Not sure if a bug or not, but tasks seem to have a minimum width/duration of about 4 "units"

It isn't a bug, but we are working on making the task bars smaller in the next release to allow you to create more fine-grained workflows.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 11:16 AM   in reply to dwinnie@adobe

@dwinnie We can view a workflow from a web address/URL? This would make Workflow usable for me because I'd be able to share it with everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2010 12:57 AM   in reply to Michael Mooring

You can open a WorkflowLab WFX file that has a URL by getting the URL and selecting "Open a Workflow Shared Online" in the File menu of WorkflowLab Beta 2.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2010 4:40 PM   in reply to dwinnie@adobe

Thanks for the reply. I meant to use the word embed. Considering it's an Air app, It should be able to be embedded? Are there Air only Apps(without being able to run the app on the browser)? And is Workflow one of those Air only Apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 12:27 AM   in reply to Michael Mooring

Currently, no. However we are investigating a browser based version but are unsure of when that would be available and if it will be a viewer or a full authoring experience.

Doug

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 6:54 PM   in reply to mondomx

Doug, I am intrigued as to why your would want to steer away from project management?

I think that this would be a great tool for managing a project, especially the way that I would like to manage it.

My company, Republic, has several people around the world and we would certainly benefit from this application working as our project management tool.

I have read through several of the suggestions that have been made for improvements and agree with most of them. Being able to organise, plan and schedule our clients' business like this would be fantastic. It would allow everyone to see when the development of each media channel needed to be implemented, who is working in what capacity and how the projects are being managed to completion.

Simon.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to typolonyc

Well...to say that we are steering completely away from project management isn't accurate. We are trying to create a path for project management that is clear, concise, easily understood and is applicable to agile and iterative development.

Project management tools have a lot of sophisticated elements to them that can make it difficult if not impossible for non-project managers to use. So it would be best put that we are trying to find a way to combine project management with user and team workflows, since they are distinctly related to each other.

Doug Winnie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points