Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Captivate 4 and Windows 7

Jun 5, 2009 5:31 AM

I'm looking to possibly move to Windows 7 to do some 'testing'  - any one done this yet?  Any issues with Captivate 4 that you have run across?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2009 7:24 AM   in reply to Academy_Jenn

Hi there

Are you talking about how Captivate itself behaves? Or how the output from Captivate behaves?

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 3:21 AM   in reply to Academy_Jenn

Captivate 4 works on Windows 7 . BTW , I see Win 7 as a flavor of vista with some security levels customizable. i guess you can go ahead and install it. if you face issues please post here or get in touch with captivate team through wish-list.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 6:05 AM   in reply to Suresh Jayaraman

As doctor Nihar said, Captivate 4 works on Windows 7. I would encourage you to try it out on windows 7.

Incase you find some something not working you could report it to us.

Manish

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 1:00 PM   in reply to M_Anand

Since Windows 7 comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions, does Captivate 4 work in both?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2009 9:51 PM   in reply to rgcunningham

well, it is expected to work on 32 bit. Since Captivate is not certified for 64 bit so you might get some unexpected results.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2009 12:41 PM   in reply to Academy_Jenn

I´m running Windows 7 Compilation 7100, and today i installed Captivate 4.

As the instalation recomends i change the execution mode to administrator privilegies.

At first run everything looks normal but after any capture process when the apliction windows requires the new name of the project, nothing happend the window dissaper and i can never acces the workspace with the captured slides.

Can anyone help with this?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:32 AM   in reply to M_Anand

I have found that when trying to do screen captures in Windows 7, Captivate CRASHES!!!!!

This is really becoming a problem since I have a class do by the end of the week and now cannot use Captivate!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:36 AM   in reply to Deputydog35

Hi Mark

No chance of downgrading to Vista or XP I suppose?

What kind of a class are you doing?

Have you reported your issue to Adobe using the Bug Report?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:38 AM   in reply to Deputydog35

Hello, I'm running CP4 on Windows 7,  build 7100, 32-bit since June without any problems. I hope you did not forget to install the update (end of May 09)? If you are using 64-bit version, this could perhaps help.

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:45 AM   in reply to Deputydog35

Well couple of people have reported issues with Win 7 . In our internal testing we are yet to reproduce the problem reported. We are using the early RTM bits. Looks like there are other folks in this same thread for who Captivate 4 on Windows 7 works w/o issues. Win 7 build used is more of a suspect here than Captivate . See if you can get hold of the build # used by folks who are successful.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:49 AM   in reply to Suresh Jayaraman

I will have to check into that.  I am using their latest version from the MSDN site.  So my guess is it's the retail version I'm using.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:50 AM   in reply to Academy_Jenn

I am how do you confirm the build?  I have had it for about 1 week.  I downloaded it off the MSDN site.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2009 11:51 AM   in reply to Deputydog35

Please send us the build details / reference , we shall try to reproduce the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2009 6:06 AM   in reply to Academy_Jenn

I´m facing problems with sound.

When I open Adobe Captivate, I receive a message saying that I need administrator rights, and asking me to open Captivate using the right button of the mouse, as an administrator user.

Despite of it, I cannot record any sound.

I tried it with Windows XP (and worked fine), but with Windows 7 or Vista, the sound definitely doesn´t work.

I do have administrator rights in the machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Luciana

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2009 3:26 AM   in reply to Luciana13

Ok the clue for me is sound doesn't work in Vista also. Please get the latest update of Captivate 4, details of the same can be found at

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/05/captvate_4_patch_update.html

we have the audio issue addressed. - SJ

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 6:42 AM   in reply to Academy_Jenn

I have CP4, latest update and W7 64 bit.

CP opens with welcome screen but that's it. Can't open projects.

Anyone else having the same problem?

nr

gustaf

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to HerrG

Hi there

Have you tried configuring the shortcut for Captivate so it runs in XP Compatibility mode?

Perhaps that will help?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 8:16 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Thanx Rick.

I've tried all kinds of XP modes in the troubleshooting guide. Nothing works.

gustaf

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 10:59 AM   in reply to HerrG

Herg,

Hope I didn't miss part of this convo. Have you installed the May 09 update?

http://www.cpguru.com/2009/05/29/captivate-4-and-vista-64-bit/

Let us know if that helps.

Allen

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to Allen_Partridge-1MiBZx

Hi Allen.

I've tried it. Is that patch really for 64 bit problems or did it just happen to solve the problem for some people?

br

gustaf

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2010 4:21 AM   in reply to HerrG

By the way, Adobe withdrew my case with the remark that the spec does not say anything about 64 bit support. Case closed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2010 6:31 AM   in reply to HerrG

Does Adobe have any plans for making an "official" compatibility update for CP4 on Windows 7?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2010 6:37 AM   in reply to alight9010

Hi there

Only Adobe can say for sure. But my gut feeling says it's probably very unlikely to see one emerge. They are presently working on the next version of Captivate. So likely, they will just build compatibility into the next version.

It's an unfortunate situation, but one has to consider that creating an update for an existing version is no small task. And it severely impedes progress on the next version.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2010 6:46 AM   in reply to alight9010

We have not announced any plans to update Cp4 for Windows 7.  I have heard accounts of it running in the wild, which apparently have something to do with running in Admin mode, with 32 bit compatibility enabled. Perhaps someone on the list here can confirm or deny.

We are always concerned with maintaining compatibility with new operating systems and certainly we have seen Windows 7 grow rapidly more popular since its recent release. So it's reasonable to plan for a version of Captivate that runs on Windows 7. As Rick suggests, I'd look for an upgrade rather than an update.

Allen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2010 7:12 AM   in reply to HerrG

Yes, I go the same dismissal. It's pathetic and

stretches credulity - and I would have thought the 19

76 Sale of Goods Act. I love the Adobe response that says making upgrades work for current users impedes progress in developing something to sell to new customers, and that we can expect to have to pay for the privelege of having a product that works.

A really shameful footnote in Adobe's history, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2010 7:55 AM   in reply to Will-CD

Hi there

I'm sure it seems disappointing that Captivate doesn't seem to work on an operating system it wasn't designed for. But I don't believe there is any blame or shame that needs to be heaped upon Adobe for it. After all, I don't believe they are selling Captivate and making a claim that it will work on Windows 7. Windows 7 simply arrived after Captivate 4 was introduced. As Mr. Partridge states, they are working on a version that will be supported on Windows 7 and if the current versions don't work for whatever reason, you have an option of upgrading.

I'm sure you will disagree with my observation, but If any blame should be assigned here, my opinion is that it should be heaped upon Microsoft for creating an operating system that doesn't properly run an application that runs fine on the next oldest version.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2010 8:46 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Hi Rick,

I must say I don't agree at all - we're not talking about a difference of years here: I build software, and was testing on pre-release versions of Windows 7 before I upgraded to Captivate 4. Adobe knew as they were releasing it that it didn't work on Windows 7, and they continue to hide that fact now. They are relying on being too big to care about their customers - if it were my product, my clients would scream and I'd have to do something about it.

Again, my issue is that they hide the incompatibility because it demonstrates their lack of concern for their customers. I bought Windows 7 PCs 6 months after upgrading the Captivate and checked to see if they warned on compatibility issues, which they don't. The support page they offer on Windows 7 doesn't even state that it's not compatible. It is in fact the case that

their position is illegal - the product has to be suitable for the purpose for which it was sold, and when I downloaded Captivate to run on a PC, there is no warning to say it doesn't run on a standard configuration new PC. Their omission of such a warning is illegal under UK trading standards laws, because their statements have to cover every reasonable interpretation of a sales statement, and cannot contain a caveat by dint of an omission.

All the best,

Will

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2010 9:10 AM   in reply to Will-CD

Hi Will

Thnks for your candor. The odd part is that some users report Captivate running fine on Windows 7. So to make a claim that it flat out doesn't run on Windows 7 is a bit off, no? I mean, if some users report it works it must be working on some level. Now whether those users where it works properly are using the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version is another matter to sort. And perhaps that's the key difference here. I'm not sure.

I'll leave it up to you and Adobe to sort any legalities involved. I'm not a legal person. I'm just another Captivate user like you.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

Hi Rick,

Yes, it is apparently the 64bit version - which the Adobe support knew when I spoke to them. So Adobe do know - they're just not offering that information to their customers before they've wasted lots of time finding it out.

That's my issue: my time is my income, and Captivate isn't a nice toy, it's a working tool. Adobe knows that all customers who buy a new PC with standard configuration will have this issue. Do you remember/ did you come across the issue they had with trial copies of Flash CS3 - where you had to get an uninstall tool from Adobe support to take the trial version off before you could install the full version of a suite you had just bought? That was exactly the same: hours of hassle, thinking you'd messed something up, something wrong with your hardware etc - finally get through to Adobe support, and it's actually a standard issue they have because they've screwed up their installer package. Any warning of that in the trial download/buying or installation process? No, because admitting it would make them look silly, so they prefer to put however many people through a great deal of pointless hassle. This is the same thing - a really poor attitude to customers, in my opinion.

Anyway - I don't hold you responsible Rick! All the best,

Will

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 9:44 AM   in reply to HerrG

My partner, working on the same project as I, is having lots of issues with Windows 7 in general, one of them being not able to open some Captivate files. Every day at the office she encounters another W7 headache.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 3:50 PM   in reply to Suresh Jayaraman

I am having the same issue. I cannot end a simulation that I am recording...meaning, I cannot get that Save window described by the above user. And

I just upgraded to a new machine here at work, running Windows 7 64-bit...

I was hoping for a better answer than I am finding on this page!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 4:14 PM   in reply to mlavenue

Hi there

I really wish I had some magick wand to wave. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a solution so far. I recently facilitated a class where one of the participants was using Windows 7 64 bit. And he had no issues whatsoever. Go figure.

Please do take a moment and report to Adobe as a bug so they can be more aware of the scope of affected users.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 11:48 PM   in reply to Captiv8r

Hi Rick,

'magic wand'! Are you plunging into Photoshop ??

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 12:29 AM   in reply to Lilybiri

Yes. Maybe that is what we all are waiting for. When will

Abobe implement the magic wand in CP.?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 10:37 AM   in reply to Captiv8r

You know, I went into the Preferences and changed my key for ending a simulation to F12 (and changed the other F12 to something else) and NOW I can get the save screen because it reads that I stopped the recording when I press F12. So I fixed this with a key change...I wonder if that would work for other folks?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 3:50 PM   in reply to Captiv8r

Hi all,

Just as a point of reference:

I am running Windws 7 64-bit and Captivate is working. I did read the entries here and some blog entries before starting so I knew there might be issues I would face.

I installed the trial version.

I set it to Run as Administrator, and in compatibility mode for Win XP sp3. (b/c Administrator mode is advised, and using compatibility mode just in case)

Ran it, and immeditately checked for updates.

Installed the latest patch (b/c this was advised when Vista users experienced some problems).

Ran it.

I was able to record new projects and audio, and read in Captivate 3 projects. Also exported to swf and avi. So far, all seems fine.

Jeanne

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 3:57 PM   in reply to TechDoc Jeanne

Hi Jeanne

Thanks for the update! It's good to know that Captivate does work for some users with Windows 7.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...