Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 7 doesn't display pdf properties

Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 doesn't display pdf properties/metadata, like title, comments, author, subject etc. This was a great feature in XP. Anybody know a workaround?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has no one else had a problem

with this? Discovered a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not seen the problem. It could be that you are not using AA9.3 in Win7 and that is the issue. You did not indicate your version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2010 Feb 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running Acrobat 8, but I just tried creating pdfs with 9.3, verifying the pdf version (1.7 extension level 3), but get the same results. Maybe I didn't explain the issue very well: the problem is in the Windows 7 file explorer. I can add all the properties columns, and I can view/change properties for Excel, Word, etc. But for pdfs I can only view/change properties from within Acrobat. And they still don't show up in the windows browser. The ability to view the properties for all documents in a directory is critical for our work process, but we seem to have lost that in Windows 7. I've attached a screenshot that shows properties for some file types, but not shown for pdf files.SnipImage.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump --- does anyone have a solution for this? Basically from Windows 7  Explorer I can no longer view metadata from my PDF files or PSD files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump --- does anyone have a solution for this?

Use Adobe Acrobat 9.3.1 or Adobe Reader 9.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as The Cap'm.  I updated to Acrobat Reader 9.3.1, re-started my computer and opened and saved a file with reader 9.3.1 and still no display of PDF properties for the newly saved file (or any other PDF files for that matter).  This issue is becoming critical as PDF metadata (title, author, subject etc) is used in my document filing system and I can't see any of it since moving from Windows XP to Windows 7.  Surely someone has found a solution to this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2010 Mar 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Acrobat Standard 9.3.1 -- I've re-saved old pdf files, created new pdf files, added metadata everywhere I can, still nothing useful in Windows 7  explorer. If the next post is "use Acrobat 9.3.2" I'll just stick with XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On this site is explained how to display the pdf properties in windows 7 explorer.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/203b60ca-b773-4931-85ad-a5e67656d6ce

steps:

1. open the file explorer in windows7
  2. select libraries from the left navigation bar
  3. right click on the libraries heading.
  4. select "new" > "library"
  5. give the library a name e.g. "sales orders".
  6. press the button "include new folder" to select the folder where the pdf files are in. e.g. "D:\files\sales\orders\"
  7. select (top-right) "arange by" and select e.g. "name".
  8. you should now be able to see the pdf properties (don't forget to enable the subject etc. collums)

See picture..

Good luck!!

view properties explorer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

This works great if the organization uses only Windows 7 and all files are on an indexed location. However, some in my company use Windows Vista and we just moved the files to a server on which the files are not indexed.

This ought to be more simple than it is considering PDF format is the most widely used document sharing format.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

The answer I gave you is the only "solution" to be able to see PDF properties in WINDOWS7 that I am familiar with at the moment. As you said, it's helpfull if you use Windows7 and files locations are indexed. I will post a message when I discover solutions which are suitable for your specific situation (use with various operating systems on a non-indexed fileserver)

Success!

Greets,

Koen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Koen

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines