• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting cross references from Frame

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2008 Apr 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing my Frame files by reference in RoboHelp (using Technical Communication Suite). I have mapped my "Heading & Page" cross reference style to the <$paratext> building block to drop the page numbers from the cross references. I cannot for the life of me get these to import correctly. When I import the chapters, the cross references still contain the page numbers. In addition, they are not hyperlinks, as they are in Frame. Double-clicking on the imported cross reference links does nothing.

I am desperate to get these to convert properly - I have 34 chapters to import from my user guide!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2008 Apr 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross References from Structured FrameMaker books/documents are not getting converted to hyperlinks in RoboHelp. This is a bug. We are investigating this issue and a fix is planned.

regards
Vivek Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2008 May 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Do you have an estimate for when this will be fixed? We have a release coming up soon and we need this fixed by then if we are to implement single-sourcing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using unstructured FM 8 and have noticed some cross-references make it through to RoboHelp and some don't. I have a book that was added by reference (ie a linked book). When I go back into FM and redo the cross-reference, force update in RH, and then regenerate my WebHelp project, the cross referernce still appears as text.

I cleared the cache in IE. I went back into FM to see the offending cross-reference and sure enough for whatever reason the cross-reference no longer references its source heading. I relocate the source paragraph to redo the Xref in FM, and regenerate in RH but the same thing happens. I know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and then expecting different results but sometimes in software that works... I don't know if the problem is with RoboHelp or with Frame at this point. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am working in unstructured Framemaker and some of the cross references make it over whereas others do not. Why this is, I have yet to determine. In addition, I have found that if one of the cross references that makes it is right next to one that doesn't make it (no text in between) then I get a Fatal Error when I try to compile the RoboHelp project. Anyone with any information on this would be a valued correspondent.

Very Best Regards,

Z.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please confirm if you have the latest patches installed for FrameMaker (8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3) and RoboHelp (7.0.1)? Is there a pattern in the cross-references not getting converted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I applied all of the patches and same problem.

What I did yesterday afternoon was to save the source FM file as MIF and take a look at the markers. The cross reference markers that were failing to move over had an \xod at the end. I posted in the Framemaker forum and discovered that this was the hexadecimal for a carriage return. As for why there would be a carriage return at the end of some of my cross reference markers I have no idea and I assure you it was not because I hit ENTER.

However, I have been having some success this morning in deleting the cross reference markers and reinserting them. Of course, this messes up all of the other cross reference pointers throughout the book. It may be that if more than one cross reference is made to a single source (e.g., the marker is used more than once) the \xod appears. I am not yet sure. In between the time-consuming and focus-grabbing Force Updates and the frequent RoboHelp crashes during the Force Update process it takes some time to discover. Framemaker never had a problem keeping track of my cross references \xod or no.

I still have the problem of two cross references right next to each other causing a Fatal Error when I try to compile. So I have to add some spurious word like "and" and it won't even let me make this word white. So I basically have to rewrite my source document.

Any patches planned? Also, please consider an upgrade to the server hosting this board: it is extremely unresponsive.

Thank you,

Z.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2008 May 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I noticed some xrefs with carriage returns when I was evaluating another product that relies on MIF output This is strictly an FM 8 problem, not a Robohelp poblem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please install RoboHelp patch 7.0.2 . The issue relatd to structured cross-references is fixed and they are now converted to hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please install RoboHelp patch 7.0.2 . The issue related to structured cross-references is fixed and they are now converted to hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2008 Jun 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
OK great. Thanks so much. It works much better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp