Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Spark list itemrenderer issues. Scrolling cause rendering issues...

Mar 2, 2010 2:09 PM

I have a custom itemrender I am using for my spark list and in the list some items are blue and some are white. When I scroll the list white items all become blue.  Sometimes blue become white. Random color swapping.

I think a read a post or article about this as Flash is trying to reuse itemRenderers, from an object pool of sorts, to conserve resources. How can I stop it from reusing itemrenders.

TIA, J

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2010 2:13 PM   in reply to flairjax

Try <s:List useVirtualLayout="false">

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 2:15 PM   in reply to flairjax

Hi Dallas,

I'm pretty sure that you cannot stop Flex from reusing the itemRenderers. I could be wrong, so maybe one of the many Flex Gurus here could speak to that.

As for solving your issue, try overriding the "set data" method or listening for the "dataChanged" even on your itemRenderer. Do your color logic in there. The data for the itemRenderer will be set by Flex when it needs to render that renderer, so if you handle the logic in one of those methods you should be all set. Alternatievly, you could handle the color logic by overriding the updateDisplay() method, but if the only thing you need to do is change the items color then I would stay away from that approach and go with the "set data" or the "dataChanged" approach

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 2:21 PM   in reply to flairjax

You don't necessarily want to stop it from reusing itemRenderers that's a good thing.  Rather, you need to implement your item render so that it sets it's values based on the data property that the list sets each time the renderer is re-used.

If you really want to disable the object pooling/renderer recycling, set the "useVirtualLayout" property on your List or your layout class to false.  You can set this on either one.

If you want to implement your itemRenderer properly, you do something like this in the itemRenderer:

override public function set data(value:Object):void

{

if (value != data)

{

super.data = value;

myItemRendererColor = data.color;

}

// you should also dispatch a Flex.DATA_CHANGE event here

}

This is just a simple example, you should google this topic (or check out Alex Harui's blog, or read the Flex docs) to make sure you do it right

HTH,

Sunil

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 2:32 PM   in reply to flairjax

It sounds like you're planning on using the itemRendererFunction property and two separate itemRenderers, just to make the color be white or blue?

If you follow any of the suggestions given here, you can solve your problem and only create one itemRenderer.

Just my two cents, but the itemRendererFunction property is when your item renderers are truly different animals ... not for cases when one should be blue or white

Message was edited by: Sunil Dave'

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 3:05 PM   in reply to Sunil Davé

As others have said, the issue is not that you want to turn off item renderer recycling (we do it for a reason), but you need to code your item renderer for re-use.  What that means is instead of something like:

{

super.data = value;

if (data.income > 100000)

bgRectColor.color = 0x0000FF; // blue

}

You need to do something like:

{

super.data = value;

if (data.income > 100000)

bgRectColor.color = 0x0000FF; // blue

else

bgRectColor.color = 0xFFFFFF; // white

}

In other words, don't just assume that the background rect starts out as white.  This item renderer could be re-used from before, so you need to explicitly set it back to white in that case.  I'd have to look at your item renderer to see exactly what the issue is, but I hope that helps.

-Ryan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points