Skip navigation
wardacameron
Currently Being Moderated

Can't capture hdv with Premiere Pro

Feb 15, 2010 12:37 PM

I'm having a hard time capturing video from my Sony HDV-HC7 Hi-Def Camcorder. I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 on a DellStudio system running Win 7 64 bit Ultimate. It has an intel i7 CPU (8 cores) with 12 gm of RAM.

When I run Premiere and select Capture it opens up the capture window correctly and allows me to control the camcorder. The camera is connected and working. However it won't capture. I have tried to capture several ways:

1. log the in and out points on the tape and then do a batch capture.
2. capture the entire tape.
3. manually press record when the correct scene is cued on the camcorder.

Each time the result is the same, nothing is captured. The play counter shows the tape is playing and I can see the tape playing but the recorded scene length remains at 00:00:00

I am connected via 4-pin (camera) to 6pin (computer) via firewire. I have tried two different firewire cables just to make sure it wasn't a cable problem. I do not have a dedicated capture card unless my Hauppauge Win TV HVR-1250 can be considered a capture card. My firewire is off the system board so I don't have a dedicated firewire card in the system.

I've gone through Adobe's troubleshooting tips and none of the options helped.

1. My hardware meets the minimum requirements

2. Recreating (even reinstalling) the cache doesn't help.

3. tried two different tapes with the same problem

4. The cable connections are working. I've even tried two different firewire cables. Both indicate an iLINK connection on the camera and the capture window can control the playback of the camera with no problems.

5. Scene Detect is grayed out so I can't deselect it but I don't think it plays a role in HDV capture.

6. I've checked my device control settings. The camera is set to sony and alternate 1. I set it this way because I couldn't capture anything on Standard. I tried this setting and it captured one clip. After that, I could no longer capture on this setting again. Regardless of whether I'm set on Standard or alternate, the camera status is online.

7. Capture with another utility. I tried the sony capture software as well as Premiere elements 8.0 and I have the same problems.

8. Make sure all video has been rendered. They are.

9. Select playback settings (set to automatic).

10. I am logged in as an administratore

11. I don't have a capture card. Do I need one?

13. I do run it with no other main programs running.

14. all my drivers are current.

15. my video card driver is current.

I should add that I have the same problem trying other software like Premiere Elements 8.0 and Sony Picture Motion Browser so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

I appreciate any suggestions. Do I need a dedicated video capture card? If so, what do you suggest? Do I need a 4 pin Firewire port rather than a 6 pin? Do I need a sony dedicated cable as some forums suggest?

Thanks in advance.

wcameron

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Check your camera settings in the menu. Use the manual to find the correct settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 1:46 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Try downloading HDVSplit and see if you can capture into that? I'm also a bit "funny" about on-board firewire cards, but I have no hard data to back that up. if you can borrow a FW PCIe card, it's certainly worth a shot.

MP

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to wardacameron

When playing (not recording) the tape in Premiere or HDV spilt can you see footage?

Wind the tape a few minutes forward and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to wardacameron

And your sequence settings are correct as well, I assume? Mixing DV and HDV can be troublesome.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 2:53 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Check: Project/Project Settings/General/Capture set to HDV.

You should atleast have playback in HDV split.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 2:53 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Make sure that your camera is set to HDV output over iLink. I know you said it was, but please check again in your camera menu. Numerous people have had trouble and it was a simple setting after all to make it work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 3:11 PM   in reply to wardacameron

my gut feeling is the firewire on-board is no good. but before you part with some cash for a PCIe version, is it possible you can test this camera on another computer? just to rule out the camera itself.

try to avoid the really cheap FW cards. I fancy the ones with an TI chipset, but that's just anecdotal.

MP

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 3:13 PM   in reply to wardacameron

oh... can you press "PLAY" after you hit 'RECORD'? some cameras need you to do that (wierd I know).

MP

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 2:25 PM   in reply to wardacameron

hey i had this same prob turn your ilink convo off then the cam will send the hdv out I thank God that He helped me figure this out!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 3:08 PM   in reply to Pyro4lif
    I thank God that He helped me figure this out!

I thought God was a Panasonic guy ...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 3:13 PM   in reply to shooternz

Okay guys, let's stop it right here, right now.  I can see where this might be headed, and it's not going there if I can help it.

Back on topic, please.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 4:10 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Good news and glad that you have it working fine.

Note: depending on the number of actual control chips your card has, and how they are located, during Capture, you will NOT want to have other FW devices connected, whether you're daisy-chaining, or not. With separate chips, you might be able to have, say an external, so long as it IS on a separate chip. Cameras want to be the only thing on that chip.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 4:43 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Ward,

Just something to think about. All too often, users will daisy-chain, or just plug in lots of FW devices, and wonder why they could once Capture, but not now.

Good luck, and glad that a card took care of things for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 11:23 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Hi Ward,

I just discovered this discussion and have the same problem. I also have a Dell Studio system and a Sony HC7! Can I ask did you just buy a general low profile (thin) firewire PCI card or something expensive and fancy? I also have a Dell Studio XPS laptop and the HDV capture through the built in fire port is fine! Anyway I've just ordered an Adere capture card for desktop so hope that works. The guy at the shop told me that the motherboard firewires often use cheapest chipset and that may be problem. I am running Premiere Pro CS5. Cheers,Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 4:18 PM   in reply to Spinning Reel Australia

I've had Dell SPS 435 for 9 months.  I've spent about 50 hours with tech support (no exaggeration!!!) from Dell, Adobe, Microsoft, and iYogi.  I got to the highest level in Dell (they report directly to Michael Dell).  He said this is only the second case he has ever failed on.  Now I'm back with Adobe support for the umpteenth time.  My Sony FX7 and HS1 worked great with XP ... poorly with Vista 32, and badly with Windows 7 (64bit)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 4:25 PM   in reply to maranatha@stx.rr.com

(continued).  This seems to be a broad problem.. Adobe and Dell

deny dealing with it.  They like to send you on dead end hunts

... ie go buy new firewire cables (I have tried 4) call Sony (they can't help) it's not hardware, it's software, or vice versa depending on which ones you are talking to.  Or, we will call back (Dell and Adobe both did not on numerous times).  I did get close to the issue once with an Adobe techie who said,

Create and log on to a new local administrator account.

Damaged or incorrect permissions in your user account may prevent Premiere Pro from writing required registry keys upon the first successful capture. Create a new local administrator account and then try to start capture in the new account.   This actually works.  If I create a new local administrator account, I can capture HD once.  Yeah, once!!! Then I have to make a new L A Account again.  Can't somebody help us???  Look at this forum ... look at how many of us are reporting this problem.  That probably means there are hundreds of people out there with this same problem.  HELP!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 7:44 PM   in reply to maranatha@stx.rr.com

If that worked, then you probably have permissions issues somewhere in your system.

Damaged or incorrect permissions in your user account may prevent Premiere Pro from writing required registry keys upon the first successful capture. Create a new local administrator account and then try to start capture in the new account.   This actually works.  If I create a new local administrator account, I can capture HD once.  Yeah, once!!! Then I have to make a new L A Account again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:40 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

Jeremy

Thank you so much for your answer.

It shows me someone has some understanding about this stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't know what a permission issue means.

Who could I talk to about this?

Adobe tech support doesn't seem to be helpful.

I have spent literally 20 or so hours with them.

Dell was no help.

I hired iYogi ... waste of $120.

Microsoft was no help.

Do you have a suggestion of who could help me with this issue.

Thanks

Roby

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 10:10 PM   in reply to wardacameron

I have put in the separate firewire card to the Dell Studio, and now have no problems - importing and exporting, HD and SD. The card cost about $30US, well worth the expense to get around these issues with crap quality motherboard inbuilt firewire ports.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 10:20 PM   in reply to Spinning Reel Australia

-  Ward said he tried the Sony capture software as  well  as Premiere Elements 8.0 and has the same problems. That pretty much  rules out the software, including PPro. (I'll willingly cop to it if it  turns out to be Premiere, but I really don't think it is.)

-  There's the message from HDVSplit:

Capturing has been started

INFO: No more data is received from  camcorder. Capture stopped

End of Capturing

-  SRA just mentioned the firewire card.

All of that seems to point to the FW card. I'd try that first, since it's been mentioned before, and then we can go from there if we need to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 5:09 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

Jeremy,

Thanks again.

It does not work with Adobe Premiere, Sony Vega, HD Split, or the Roxio 10 supplied with the computer.

Yes, that should rule out the software, right?

That's what I told the Dell Tech.

I finally got to the top.

The level that reports to Michael Dell.

They could not fix it.

He said go to the Adobe tech support people.

I would be happy to buy a firewire card.

Can you recommend one?

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 8:08 PM   in reply to wardacameron

Ward ,,,

Thank you so much for your response.

After untold hours on tech support (no lie ... 40 to 50 hours)

if it is this simple, I will both laugh and cry.

Is there a certain firewire card I should buy or avoid?

Thanks again,

Rob Carpenter

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 8:09 PM   in reply to wardacameron

I agree with you, and recommend a new, or the addition of, a FW card. Some users refuse to believe that their MoBo's FW could ever go bad. Their biggest hope should be that it's the computer's FW connector, and not the camera's FW connector.

Good points,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Even though it's not a Prem problem, maybe we can get it into a Tech Support document.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points