Skip navigation

Strange system log error from Photoshop CS4

Apr 7, 2009 7:18 AM

Latest reply: Chris Cox, Aug 18, 2011 3:56 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2010 2:03 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

HI,

Did anyone actually come to a conclusion about what this error is? I've been driving myself nuts with trying to troubleshoot this, and not figured it out..

I'm getting the same error as the OP,

25/02/2010 09:48:03 Adobe Photoshop CS4[255] Adobe Photoshop CS4(255,0xa0012500) malloc: *** mmap(size=17002496) failed (error code=12)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Goes on endlessly, and eventually CS4 hangs, often during a save or open operation.

I have tried lots of re-installs, isolating memory etc. 10.6.2, 12GB RAM, 2 x 2.26GHz Quad Core.

I don't have any 3rd party plugins, and it happens for me whichever clean installed HD I boot off.

Im working with reasonably large files, up to a gig, but I keep an eye on the memory allocation, and I always have plenty of headroom..

Some help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 11:48 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

It was suggested it might be hardware related have you investigated did you remove the RAM you installed?

It could be poorly installed not properly seated or it can be bad RAM. Why not find out?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 8:25 PM   in reply to Dan_Perfect

At this point, I'm reasonably sure that the messages are an OS thing.

And I'm pretty sure you can just ignore them.  They are status information, not actual errors.  (someone was just overzealous about reporting allocation failures)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 6:42 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

Except that it isn't an error, and the message has no effect on Photoshop's operation....

What happens is that the OS says "there is 4 meg available to allocate", and Photoshop thinks it can safely allocate 2 Meg.  But that allocation fails because the address space is fragmented.  Then Photoshop backs off the allocation to 1 Meg and tries again.  But when the 2 Meg allocation failed, the OS printed a message to the console (probably debugging code mistakenly left in the OS).  Photoshop keeps working, the OS keeps working - nothing should fail.  It's just a warning message from the OS code that really doesn't mean anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2010 2:37 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

Again, it is not an error message - that message is normal, and just the OS reporting more stuff than it should to the console.  Other users have that message come up in the console all the time - with no ill effects.   If Photoshop fails to allocate memory, it just frees up some memory and tries again until it succeeds.  Again, this happens all the time.

Something else is doing on that prevents you from saving, something that might be related to the allocation errors, but probably not.  If a third party plugin or driver is leaking memory, or messing up the OS memory system -- that could cause problems down the road and might cause allocation error messages.

But while you are seeing problems saving files, other users are not.

Adobe hasn't seen such a problem.

And we can't fix what we've never seen (and have no idea what might be causing it).

So, calm down and let's see if we can figure out what is happening to your system, and why it only happens to you.

Do you use any third party plugins?  (try disabling them)

Have you used a scanner driver inside Photoshop? (try removing the TWAIN plugin, scanner drivers are notorious for causing problems)

Have you printed anything before this problem occurs? (printer drivers can also cause some problems)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 4:08 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi again

Well its not just the OP that this happens to..

Although I dont seem to have his problem of the save location being important to success of the operation..

I have tried various combinations of RAM, tested it exhaustively, and it makes no difference to the proliferation of the memory error reports, and eventually to the crashing of CS4, most often in a save operation. I have reinstalled the system, run diskwarrior, disk utility etc etc, and removed all 3rd party plugins. Changed the memory settings in CS4, and changed scratch disk allocations. Don't know what else to do..

All I can do at the moment is save at 10min intervals & hope each time that I get lucky.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 6:20 PM   in reply to Dan_Perfect

Dan - what OS version are you using?  Part of what you describe sounds like MacOS 10.6 bugs (mostly fixed in 10.6.2).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2010 10:51 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

I also just had the same problem as the OP, repeated malloc errors during a save. The console logs also said

Mar 26 22:08:41 MacPro Adobe Photoshop CS4[20718]: *** process 20718 exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***

Running Activity Monitor and inspecting the Photoshop process, the first frame referred to the save dialog routine and a semaphore wait.

Could the OS call be hanging and unable to complete the calls necessary to start saving the file?

There is no disk activity and file was never written at all.

MacPro OS10.6.2 10GB memory

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2010 2:30 PM   in reply to davidsanger

Well, that message just says that the log got a lot of messages - it doesn't say anything about what the error was.

semaphore_wait usually means that the app is waiting for the OS to complete something.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 11:05 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

CS4 doesn't use those calls, so I'm betting it involved some system code (like open/save) or a third party plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

The OS provided open and save dialogs could conceivably make those calls, as well as a third party plugin.

You need to watch what you are doing when those errors appear (what dialog, what plugin, etc.).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 6:20 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

If the plug in was not updated for 11.0.2 then the plug in developer obviously fell behind.

It is sad that this plug in if it is as useful as you indicate was not quickly updated to work properly with the host application.

But it is the plug in developers responsibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 7:27 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

11.0.2 shouldnt' need any plugin updates - the changes were minor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2010 9:17 AM   in reply to MuggeGHQ

MuggeGHQ, interesting that you have put the blame on developers. Here you have both CS4 and cs5 on your system, an older version of the OS, seemingly one system that works and one that doesn't and the developer is the cause? Which one? Why?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2011 3:35 PM   in reply to EJ Printer

I'm getting the same error, this is the string that keeps repeating in the Mac OS X console log:

8/18/11 2:44:03 PM    Adobe Photoshop CS4[2487]    Adobe Photoshop CS4(2487,0xa02aa540) malloc: *** mmap(size=17002496) failed (error code=12)
    *** error: can't allocate region
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    8/18/11 2:44:03 PM    [0x0-0x9a09a].com.adobe.Photoshop[2487]    Adobe Photoshop CS4(2487,0xa02aa540) malloc: *** mmap(size=17002496) failed (error code=12)
    8/18/11 2:44:03 PM    [0x0-0x9a09a].com.adobe.Photoshop[2487]    *** error: can't allocate region
    8/18/11 2:44:03 PM    [0x0-0x9a09a].com.adobe.Photoshop[2487]    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

8/18/11 2:44:34 PM    ReportCrash[4438]    Saved crash report for Adobe Photoshop CS4[2487] version 11.0.2 (11.0.2x20100519 [20100519.r.592 2010/05/19:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) (11.0.2) to /Users/me/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Adobe Photoshop CS4_2011-08-18-144434_me-27.crash
    8/18/11 2:44:39 PM    ReportCrash[4438]    Failed to relaunch /Applications/Adobe Creative Suite 4/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4 - LSOpenApplication returned error: -600!

Here's the actual Adobe Photoshop CS4 crash log at pastebin.com: http://pastebin.com/LtbpRkLw

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2011 3:56 PM   in reply to Mario Cajina

The malloc warning just means that Photoshop wants more RAM than is available. It's not an actual error, but could be related to the crash.

The crash is due to a corrupt font or a corrupt OS font cache.

Most of the tips in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html  also apply to CS4.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points