Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Embed YouTube Videos in InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time poster, be gentle!

Anyways, I'm designing an internal newsletter for my company, and one of the feature stores includes talks about one of our clients' videos on YouTube, and I would like to embed that video into my InDesign file.

I followed the instructions at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/6.0/WSC117AD88-69F6-4658-A1F1-12012B15B9D7.htm, and everything seems to be OK until I click the "Verify URL and Movie Size" button. It gives me the error "URL does not refernce a movie type." I am assuming this is because it's a YouTube video and there are problems reading it, but is there any way around this?

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you get the video from the client directly in one of the supported formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately probably not. Our client is just in the video, it wasn't produced by her. Is it possible to embed the code using some other function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't know any more than what you can read in the help files. Can you download the video from YouTube and host it yourself? What sort of copyright issues are there going to be if your client didn't produce this video -- have you got permission form the owner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly Question are you connected to the interweb thingy when you verify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I guess I could dowload it from YouTube that way and host it myself, I'm just unaware of what programs are out there that make that possible. Know of any legit ones? Also, there are no copyright issues - we have permission to use it.

Burko,

Yes, I am connected to the internet when I try linking the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A google on "youtube conversion" resulted in this promising link: http://www.zamzar.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh so close! I finally got the video downloaded, then went to Movie Options > Source > Choose a File > Browse > Chose my .avi File then got a new error! This time I get:

"Failed due to QuickTime error."

then

"Could not get attributes from the movie."

However, when I try to play the movie in WMV or any other program it works fine. I'm going to try to download it as something other than .avi then try again. Any other suggestions while I'm at it?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I tried it again as a .mov and it worked! Yay! Thanks for the help folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2010 Mar 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a question for how you did the embedding.

I am trying to create a pdf with an embedded series of youtube videos in it. But I need to have it stream the content as there are to many videos.

YouTube Provides and embed Code for their footage,  were you able to get that to work? If so how?

I believe there is a user agreement with youtube that states you can not dowload their content. I know there lots of tools out there to do this but I am trying to use the content as a promotional tool as well and legally can not download all the content and trancode it from flv to QT.

I am on a Mac using OSX 10.6.2, with Indesign & Acrobat Pro.

My final PDF has to be cross platform for Mac & PC users.

If you can offer any assistance it would be appreciated.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert, I am trying to do exactly the same thing, so if you get an answer please post it!  I have tried copying the embed code to a fram and that does not do it, I tried exporting as a swf then thinking I could re-place it and that did not work.  Next I am going to try a button with using the embed code as the url.  If that works I will post back.. Any other ideas anyone?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try looking for YouTubeWidgetForAcrobat.pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if the acrobat plug in works in indesign?

If it does,  can you now export to flash and have the video embedded?

Thanks,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Larry!  I will give it a try.  better to embed instead of link ya know

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, please remove all that automatic signature stuff when replying by email.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While gettting a  QuickTime movie out youtube or any other source is great for PDF, you'll want to consider FLV or F4V if you're making interactive SWF with InDesign. InDesign CS5 can display video in SWF files, and has a great media importer. You can create cue points on the fly and then refer to them later with button controls. Pretty slick, actually, but requires FLV or F4V to take advantage of it. While MOV can work in PDF, it will require an external player to render. With SWF, the video can be contained in the PDF and play without any external help. In the SWF case, the video gets put in an external media folder that must be uploaded to the server. This is handy, though, because if you build a generic player, you can swap the video in the folder without having to re-export the InDesign job to SWF every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to embed streaming media content such as youtube, vimeo, or other video provider movies into Indesign? I also need to be able to place streaming audio from an http source.

I want to export my indesign files to flash to create interactivity but really have no idea how to use Flash.

I am not even sure Flash can embed streaming media content from you Youtube or streaming audio content.

I looked into using PDF (via the Youtubewidget and it works great) but the issue I have there is that it's page transitions are very weak visually compared to that of Flash's page turn effect. I found a source for some code which looks Ok but does not compare to Flash. Here is the site link. http://www.coastworx.com/bookflip.php

Is there a way to export from a PDF to Flash and have all the media & links stay intact?

On another note, I did some testing in Indesign CS5. If you try and place a video from a URL it will require that the video start with HTTP or RTMP (for flash media server). I tried using the standard object embed codes from Youtube but it informs you that it is not properly formatted. I even tried to truncate it to start with the HTTP section of the code but it provided me with an error, stating it must start with HTTP or RTMP.

Does anyone know how to accomplish what I am looking to do?

Thanks in advance...

Robert

Message was edited by: mycreativemind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines