Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Site Map/Diagram in Dreamweaver CS4?

Oct 25, 2008 11:43 AM

Is there an equivalent of the site diagram or navigation window in Dreamweaver?
I find having a map of the site and how the pages link very useful I looked in the CS4 help and all I could fine was a link to a knowledge base document talking about the Site Map category in the site definition dialogue. But apparently that was for Dreamweaver MX and doesnt appear to be in CS4.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2008 4:13 AM   in reply to Dave_Evanson
    > Is there an equivalent of the site diagram or navigation window in
    > Dreamweaver?

No.

> But apparently that was for Dreamweaver MX and doesn't appear to be in
    > CS4.

Yes - it was removed in CS4. It was basically not so useful, and had not
    been changed since pre-DW4 days.

--
    Murray

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2009 1:10 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson
    I am also looking for some way of seeing the relationship between pages. We have a lot of files in our site that are redundant and I want to see if there are any files linking into them. Is there any way of doing this without having to remove the files from the site and then doing a link check? This seems to be a step backwards. Even the old PageMill used to have this facility.

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2009 1:21 PM   in reply to Michael Peters
    Use a sitewide Find to search for the filenames?

--
    Murray

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 1:21 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson
    Go here for a Site Map Tool that is compatible with Search Engines also.

Web Assist
    http://www.webassist.com/professional/products/productdetails.asp?PID= 153

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2009 2:12 PM   in reply to (micdim)
    That's a completely different thing. It produces an XML sitemap
    specifically for upload to your remote site, to help with Google spidering.
    DW has never had that capability. I believe the original poster (OP) was
    asking about a visual SiteMap function within DW that was removed from the
    product with CS3, as I recall. It would show a visual representation of the
    hierarchy of files in your site which could be saved as JPG image.

--
    Murray

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 5:05 PM   in reply to (Murray_Summers)

I am currently using Dreamweaver CS4 and was looking for this feature today.  I remember I could create a visual hierarchal relationship of my site pages (after 'setting' a home page) and after selecting the 'Expand to show local and remote sites' button.  I have an assignment in school to produce a visual site map but it's kind of hard if someone in their infinite wisdom thinks this feature is not useful.  I have also used it professionally at work in several cases.  So, Adobe, how come you removed this and why do you think it's not useful?  Now, I have to manually 'draw' one in Illustator or go find some other product on the web to automatically create one. Happy Happy Joy Joy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2009 10:47 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

Perhaps, I am missing something.  Is there a similar or better tool that I am not aware of on CS4????  I find it difficult to believe that anyone in the world would say that link architecture is not an important feature.   Perhaps, the simply are not aware of the importance of link strategies. Perhaps, they haven't heard of Google.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2009 6:11 PM   in reply to 4everprincess

4everprincess wrote:

Is there a similar or better tool that I am not aware of on CS4????

Not that I'm aware of -- this functionality was removed from both Dreamweaver and GoLive. A bummer for those who did use it, but apparently there weren't enough who did. If you can create a lobby of those who are interested in having that facility back again:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Sorry, best I can suggest.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2009 4:36 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

I couldn't agree more. This was a very useful feature, especially if when preparing a document for reviewers to understand the flow of the site. Now, I guess, the only option is to create a flow diagram in Visio or some other graphic tool. Poor decision on Adobe's part. It would be particularly helpful if you could map the site and print it to a document for reviewers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 8:12 PM   in reply to johndonaldson

johndonaldson wrote:

4everprincess wrote:

Is there a similar or better tool that I am not aware of on CS4????

Not that I'm aware of -- this functionality was removed from both Dreamweaver and GoLive. A bummer for those who did use it, but apparently there weren't enough who did. If you can create a lobby of those who are interested in having that facility back again:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Sorry, best I can suggest.

John

The wishform doesnt work in firefox, and neither does this forum, if you try to reply to this forum it crashes firefox just thought I would let you guys know.

I had to compose this message in IE8, most webdevs use firefox and it may seem that you are not getting much interest in this feature but this may be due to people not being able to use the site.

I am not even sure if the wishform even works in IE8 I submitted the form but it timed out on me so I have no idea whether it is successful or not.

The sitemap diagram feature was very handy and this is message I tried to submit to the wishform

*******Enhancement / FMR*********
    Brief title for your desired feature:

In macromedia dreamweaver 8 there was a feature that would generate visual sitemaps and save these as bitmaps.

This was a very handy tool for showing clients how websites were structured.

This feature was removed from Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and CS4

How would you like the feature to work?

I would like to see this feature reinstated with one additional piece of functionality, being able to see the full html title of subpages of supbages.

It would also be nice if it could generate an xml sitemap as well as a visual one that was compatible with search engines.

Why is this feature important to you?

It allows me to show clients a visual representation of the websites architecture and the names of the pages within the structure of that architecture.

Visio, Dia and other diagramming tools do not create as clean a website diagram as what Dreamweaver 8 does.

Here is a link to a copy of a sitemap generated by dreamweaver 8 http://www.users.on.net/~nova/dreamweaver-sitemap.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 2:42 AM   in reply to Dave30000

Well it looks like my wishform did submit ok and I got a nice prompt response back from Heiko in Adobe Development.

Got some great news from Heiko, apparently the sitemap feature was never removed, it was just disabled, I have just re-enabled it and now the site diagaram tool has appeared and works like a charm.

Here are the instructions Heiko gave me via email for unhiding the sitemap tool in Dreamweaver CS4;

The Site Map feature has been removed in Dreamweaver CS4 by making it invisible.

You can let the Site Map reappear by tweaking preference settings of Dreamweaver CS4.

Mac:

1. Go to your user folder > Library > Preferences 2. Open “Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Prefs” in a Texteditor 3. Search for sitemap 4. Replace FALSE with TRUE 5. Save the file, restart DW

Windows:

1. Click on start

2. Select Run

3. Type regedit and click ok

-> the registry opens now

4. Select HKEY_CURRANT_USER > Software > Adobe > Dreamweaver CS4 > Feature Management 5. In the right part of the window double click on Site map 6. Set Site map to True

-> When you now start DW the site map is enabled again

Please note that the feature is no longer supported by Dreamweaver. So please use the functionality with caution and care.

We are working on alternatives for the Dreamweaver's Site Map feature for upcoming releases.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2009 6:32 AM   in reply to Dave30000

Dave30000 wrote:

The wishform doesnt work in firefox, and neither does this forum, if you try to reply to this forum it crashes firefox just thought I would let you guys know.

I had to compose this message in IE8, most webdevs use firefox and it may seem that you are not getting much interest in this feature but this may be due to people not being able to use the site.

1) You are talking to fellow users here so we can't do anything about Firefox.

2) Firefox is working fine for me and others on the Adobe forums.

Using: Firefox 3.5.2 with Firebug, Web Developer, NoScript (disabled on this site but still installed) and a few other extensions that might change how javascript is handled in a plain Firefox install. The few others that I know use Firefox here are using plain installations. I have heard from some webdevs that Firefox 3.5's handling of javascript is sometimes sluggish (I haven't noticed) but it is still processed. You should not have been prevented from using a submission form or this forum.

That is nifty news about disabled functions in DW. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2009 10:27 AM   in reply to Dave30000

OK, I changed the code in the CS4 Prefs, now how do I view my site map? And can I generate a linked text site map from it to increase visibility on the Search Engines?

Also, I noticed after saving the prefs, quitting DW, and starting back up, the prefs default back to "FALSE".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2009 8:06 AM   in reply to jonydare2008

Yeah! How do I see the Site Map now that I ran regedit? I bought Dreamweaver for the express purpose of taking over my very extensive dynamic website. The developers used GoLive and I saw how the Site Map could be used to trace the interconnections between the files. They left a lot of 'garbage' in there too. So, now I have Dreamweaver CS4 and I'm looking for the mapping feature.. It doesn't exist! I just can't believe it! So, I found this thread and followed the regedit instructions, but don't see 'Site Map' on the menus anywhere. The TRUE/FALSE key remained at TRUE after reboot. Now what? Anyone? If you're reading this Adobe--I'm not a happy camper! How could you possibly do this?

Btw, I have a lot of work to do right away and I NEED this feature. Do I throw Dreamweaver in the trash and get something that works?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2009 2:55 PM   in reply to Dave30000

Any idea how to do this on a Windows PC?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2009 6:59 AM   in reply to nmhopkins1

Sorry, I'm a MAC guy.

John Lambert

jonnydare28@comcast.net

Home Office: 954.530.7181

Cell: 954.336.9947

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2009 5:36 AM   in reply to nmhopkins1

nmhopkins1 wrote:

Any idea how to do this on a Windows PC?

Are you referring to the Mac and Windows instructions offered in post #11 or are you confused about something else in this thread?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2009 9:50 AM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

Ok, I have another question regarding stuff removed from CS/3 to CS/4:

Where the heck is my table height in the properties inspector. Sometimes I really need that to recreate original art.

Anybody know how to turn feature back on???

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2009 5:50 AM   in reply to jonydare2008

It may help to recognize the audience of this particular forum. This forum is for GoLive users transitioning to Dreamweaver. Most people here will not be well-versed in Dreamweaver or the variations between Dreamweaver versions. You would get the best response to your question in the Dreamweaver forum. There is a much larger audience for your question there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 11:56 AM   in reply to Dave30000

Dave30000,

I folloewed your instructions for the MAC which were quite good by the way, and restarted DW.  But once back in DW I was unable to find the menu item to perform the Site Map/Diagram function.

Anyone that has sucsessfully performed changing the defaults and used the hidden Site Map feature please post a reply on where the Site Map feature can be found.

Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 12:03 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

I would think that Adobe might want to hide a feature that has problems and or is simply not ready for mass consumption.  Deadlines cause funny things at big companies.  CS4 like any software package had a last day for changes.  If a feature does not pass by this date, the manager in charge of that software has the option of including, excluding, or hiding the unfinished feature.

Does this sound reasonable?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2009 12:59 PM   in reply to Christoph Micklon

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2009 7:23 AM   in reply to Christoph Micklon

See the help system for Dreamweaver CS3.

http://tinyurl.com/kvyzts

It's available under the Site menu item and also in the Files panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2009 8:16 AM   in reply to simbalala

These email links to forum messages don't open properly in VISTA. Crashes my

Internet Explorer. Need to open task manager to exit. Whole Adobe site does

the same. Been this way for a couple weeks.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2009 8:58 AM   in reply to datuuri

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2009 9:35 AM   in reply to simbalala

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 4:46 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

In the dreamweaver prefs you can open up it up with text edit and change under feature management sitemap=FALSE to sitemap=TRUE

and then restart DREAMWEAVER and it should work BUT_______ before doing this find SOMEBODY AT ADOBE TO CONFIRM THIS FIX OR TRY IT THEMSELVES some of them do care enough to do this. I am at a college and this is part of my image and I cannot experiment further.

BH

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 11:58 AM   in reply to Dave30000

thank you so much for posting this .

It worked like a charm.

I have been looking for a replacement for this for months!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2009 9:46 AM   in reply to aldenl88

your welcome. I only wish Adobe would make an official fix or response.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2009 10:18 PM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

Thanks for the 'TRUE' trick - works for me. anyone know how to create an image file from it? FYI: Visio can read your online site and automatically create a map to your preferences  In Visio go to: new>network>web site map. thanks for the useful posts folks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 1:02 AM   in reply to hershgrant

I could not figure the way of doing it, what is the path to "dreamweaver prefs" or how can it be done?  Thank you in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

Arthur_R. Once the sitemap setting has been changed to "TRUE" on the Mac: You access it from the "Files Panel", in the 2nd drop-down menu. (The one that has "local view" and "remote view".) You should now have a "map view".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2010 1:42 AM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

Reading the post and looking back golive just makes me sure of golive always where far much better than dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2010 9:32 AM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

No, there is no way.   CS3 had it, but I know that doesn't help us frustrated CS4 users.  Let's all say a nice

"Thank You" to Adobe for removing one of the best features of Dreamweaver.  Adobe should be ashamed of itself that I have to import my site into Frontpage 2003 just to see the map/page relation view.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 4:25 AM   in reply to Dave_Evanson

This works:

1. Go to RUN and type regedit

2. Find HKYE_CURRENT_USER and then find SOFTWARE

3. Find ADOBE folder and then DREAMWEAVER CS4

4. Find FEATURE MANAGEMENT folder and doble-click it

5. You'll see SITEMAP , just right-click and chage the value from FALSE to TRUE and you have the site map feature back in

Dreamwever CS4.

Hope it helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 9:23 AM   in reply to leoamoretti

Thank you Leo.  You solution is perfect.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 10:36 AM   in reply to TomGroupGA

You're welcome.I don't understand why Adobe keeps this important feature hide in CS4? But at least we have the solution to this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 6:02 AM   in reply to leoamoretti

Thank you, leoamoretti, this is exactly what I was looking for.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)