Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AR 9.1 crashes on Linux

Mar 26, 2009 9:24 AM

Hi,

while acroread 9.1 initially worked after install, i suddenly have a problem that it crashes immediately after start-up while printing ``terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException''' on the command-line.

Interestingly, this happened after i noticed another problem which seemed to have lead to a separate crash: adding a document with a separate acroread file.pdf to an already open acroread makes the window jump a bit upwards, not only the first time when the tab bar is added but also each subsequent time. The first time, it seemed as if acroread crashed when it hit to top of the workspace with the top of the window and ``wanted'' to jump beyond the workspace ...

Following the crash-log instructions from ``http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b86600/0'' i've also started acroread with ``ACRO_CRASHLOG=1 '' set in the environment, i.e., env ACRO_CRASHLOG=1 acroread ... if i do that, acroread actually stays alive despite that exception and seems to work as it is supposed to be. I do, though, get a separate acroread process which consumes 100% cpu time and stays also when i close the window. i also note that files in /tmp/acroCrashLogs/ are created, but they are all of size 0! Also, if i run it as a separte user (in the same gnome session), acroread actually starts!

regards

-michael-

BTW: i'm running RHEL5.3 with standard gnome ...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2009 10:52 PM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    Hi Michael,

Could you please elaborate on the issue with the acroread window "jumping" on the workspace?

Interestingly, this happened after i noticed another problem which seemed to have lead to a separate crash: adding a document with a separate acroread file.pdf to an already open acroread makes the window jump a bit upwards, not only the first time when the tab bar is added but also each subsequent time. The first time, it seemed as if acroread crashed when it hit to top of the workspace with the top of the window and ``wanted'' to jump beyond the workspace ...

Were you running two acroread processes (opened through the -openInNewWindow or -openInNewInstance command line argument) and trying to drag n drop tabs between their windows? Drag n drop is allowed between multiple windows of the same acroread process. So, you won't be able to share tabs between two processes (the drag operation is cancelled in this case. We were unable to see the crash you mentioned.).

If that above is not what you were doing, could you please furnish more details?

Sincerely,
    Neha

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2009 4:15 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are trying to reproduce the problem but haven't been able to do it yet with the steps you mentioned in your post (by launching acroread after firefox 3.1 Beta 3).

Please let us know in case you find anything else.

Sincerely,
    Sanika

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2009 9:32 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    I see exactly the same problem on Solaris:

: pearson FSS 32 $; acroread from-qube/jack.pdf
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException'
    : pearson FSS 33 $; acroread
    : pearson FSS 34 $;

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 8:39 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    I've a similar Problem on Debian Linux (i386/unstable). Freshly installed Acrobat Reader throws RSException a few seconds after opening a file:

Are there any "debug" options that could help to narrow the problem down?

All the best, Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 8:40 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    I see similar behaviour on Debian Linux (i386/unstable). Freshly installed Acrobat Reader throws RSException a few seconds after opening a file:

Are there any "debug" options that could help to narrow the problem down? What triggers that exception?

All the best, Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 12:34 PM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    I am getting the same thing

"while acroread 9.1 initially worked after install, I suddenly have a problem that it crashes immediately after start-up while printing ``terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException''' on the command-line."

on openSUSE 11.0 but it does not seem related to firefox. It appears to be gnome related. Works fine in KDE 4

However I also tested on a newly upgrade SUSE 11.1 and the first few times acroread 9.1<->gnome locked up the desktop entirely.
    after a reboot however acroread 9.1<->gnome<->openSUSE 11.1 works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2009 11:34 PM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    Hi,

Could you please provide us the following information:
    1. Permissions of $HOME/.adobe/Acrobat/9.0
    2. Output of "ls -l $HOME/.adobe/Acrobat/9.0"
    3. id
    4. umask

As mentioned by Michael above that "if i run it as a separte user (in the same gnome session), acroread actually starts!".
    Michael, it would be helpful if you provide us with the information asked above for both the users (the one for whom it crashes and the one with which it works fine).

Thanks,
    -Shilpi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2009 6:47 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    I have nearly the same problem....

RHEL5.3. I have Acroread 9.1.0.1 installed via rpm (/usr/bin/acroread) and via a tar-bz file at /usr/local/Adobe/....

I have the same issues with both installations:

1. As a user, start up acroread.

2. Open a file

3. Send to my Xerox 6360DX printer

or

3. Open the printer options, click through a few of the options, after about 5 or so clicks...

4. Acroread crashes

As root, printing the file seems to work. However, if I click through the options, after about 5 or so, it does crash.

I have the crash logs as mentioned above. I have four of them:

1. as user under rpm, try to print and watch crash
    2. as user under tarbz, try to print and watch crash
    3. as user under tarbz, change print options and watch crash
    4. as root under rpm, change print options and watch crash

Anyone care to look at the crashes?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2009 8:35 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    Yes, we would very much appreciate the crashlogs. Please send them to gaurav at adobe dot com.

-Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2009 1:30 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry
    Hi timmymac123,<br /><br />Thanks for reporting the issue.<br /><br />Please let us know whether you are getting the 'RSException' on the console at the crash.<br /><br />If yes, then we are trying to reproduce the crash at our end.<br /><br />If not, then please try the following things at your end. This will help us in isolating the issue.<br /><br />1) Please check the value of the variable GTK_IM_MODULE.<br />   Type the command : echo $GTK_IM_MODULE<br />   You may change the value to "xim" and see if the crash still <br />   persists.<br /><br />2) Please try to choose another printer or driver in the main print  <br />   dialog and go to the print properties dialog. Also print to that <br />   printer. See if the crash is specific to a particular printer.<br /><br />3) Are you facing a crash when printing a particular pdf file. If so, <br />   please pass on the pdf file to rishi at adobe dot com.<br /><br />4) Please let me know the cups version that you are using. You may <br />   find that in the web interface ( http://localhost:631).<br /><br />5) Which ppd file are you using to print the file. Please attach the <br />   ppd file in the mail.<br /><br />6) You can also try to print using the commandline:<br />   acroread -toPostScript -shrink -pairs <pdf file> - | lp -d <br />   <PrinterName><br /><br />Regards,<br /> Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2009 6:16 PM   in reply to (Rishi_Oberoi)

Changing this environment variable makes no difference on Debian i386/testing.

I do have a copy of iceweasel (Debian rebadged firefox) running, but acroread

fails on the console:

: nr@homedog 5103 ; r /us
    /usr/bin/acroread ternary-awgs.pdf
    : nr@homedog 5104 ; set | grep GTK
    GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 7:59 AM   in reply to Norman Ramsey

Hi All,

We at Adobe are trying to resolve this issue at earliest. We would like to share private build(s) with probable fix with users facing this issue.If you are willing to help us and be part of private pre-release programme kindly send in your email-ids to vaibhavp at adobe dot com.

Thanks again for reporting the issue and for helping us in resolving this.

Regards,

Vaibhav

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2009 1:19 AM   in reply to Vaibhav Padlikar

HI All,

Thanks for participating in pre-release program and reporting the issue. We have now fixed the issue at our end and would release the fix in the next dot release.

Thus, pre-release program is now closed.

Thanks again for helping us on this.

Regards,

Vaibhav

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 1:19 PM   in reply to Vaibhav Padlikar

Do you have a release date for a version of acroread which does not crash on printing?  Or perhaps a workaround for the problem?  Right now, the only workaround is to switch to another PDF reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 7:33 PM   in reply to jjudeb

I have no idea.  I was just a beta tester.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2009 9:25 PM   in reply to jjudeb

Hello,

What kind of a crash are you encountering while printing.

Please elaborate on the steps.

Regards,

Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 7:13 AM   in reply to RishiOberoi10

The crashes are very similar to the ones described in this thread.  Most, maybe all of the crashes involve a Xerox colour printer PPD.  Acroread crashes when changing options or when clicking "Ok" to print.  The machines (multiple users are affected) run Ubuntu 8.04 with Acroread 9.1.0.

I have attached one of the print PPD files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2009 9:39 PM   in reply to jjudeb

Hello,

The issue here seems to be because of the large number of options in the ppd file, typically a Xerox color ppd(we have it reproduced and we are working on it).

It seems the ppd is not attached with your post. Please mail the ppd file to rishi at adobe dot com.

I will confirm the issue once I get the ppd file.

As a workaround you may use a ppd file from the CUPS package for your printer.

Thanks & Regards,

Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 9:45 PM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry

Whilst I have no issues with 8.1.5, I see this identical message with all versions of 9.x.

Any progress on this one, as my work document review/control process has switched to 9.x and eventually I'll need to do the same at home....

Cheers,

- Ura

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 9:49 PM   in reply to uraslacker

Both the issues covered in this post (RSException, and PPD with large number of parameters) are being worked on and the fix will be available in the next patch/dot release of the Reader.  Please stay tuned to the Adobe Reader for Unix Blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread) for the release announcement.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2009 10:43 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry

I'm getting the exact same symptom, but I didn't try to print from Adobe.  I did try to add some annotations to a document, that's the oddest thing I've done.

Adobe opens, stays up for about 3 secs (I have a fast machine), then crashes.  Whether it open acroread by itself or with a document doesn't seem to make a difference.  "export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim" didn't make a difference.

ghexsel@vic-ghexsel:~/dev/code/integration$ acroread

Ubuntu 9.04 32bits in a Intel Quad Core, tried both the latest 9.1.1 deb from Adobe and the default 9.1 that ships in the partner repository in Ubuntu.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2009 9:07 PM   in reply to hexsel

As I mentioned in my comment above, this fix is being worked on and will be available in the upcoming dot release (9.1.2) of Adobe Reader.  Stay tuned the blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread) for the release announcement.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 3:12 AM   in reply to Gaurav Jain (GJ)

This bug has been fixed in Adobe Reader 9.1.2 on linux , this can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.1.2/ .

For details please visit http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2009/06/912_and_816_security_updates.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 3:14 PM   in reply to Vaibhav Padlikar

Yup this is fixed on 9.1.2 with Xerox printers but now my HP 2605 printers when printing duplex, exhibits the same symptoms and crashes when trying to print duplex.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 10:16 PM   in reply to JerseySD

Hi Jersey,

Were you facing the same issue with the earlier versions(8.1.x or 9.1.1) of acroread too.

As you mentioned the crash is happening when you try to print duplex. Is this the only scenario that is causing the crash?

Are you facing the crash with any other printer?

Please attach the ppd file that you are using to print to the HP 2605 printer.

Regards,

Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 7:57 AM   in reply to RishiOberoi10

I did have this issue after upgrading to 9.1.1 but with our new Xerox

printers NOT the HP 2605's - so I downloaded from the ftp site the 9.1.2

which fixed the issue with the Xerox printers but broke the working HP

2605 printers.

If I use the 8.1.2 I have no issues - attached is the ppd file I am using.

jj

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2009 7:57 AM   in reply to RishiOberoi10

One more thing, using the lpr command works fine with the duplex option.

jj

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2009 9:55 PM   in reply to JerseySD

Hi Jersey,

I am afraid I do not find any ppd attached with the post.

If you are facing problem attaching the ppd file, please mail it to rishi at adobe dot com.

Also, as I asked you before is the issue only when you set the duplex option on. Thus with all other settings you do not face a crash. Please confirm.

You said using lpr solves the problem. Is it that you are printing it through the custom route( choosing "Custom" in the Printer name dropdown) or are you using the "print to file" route to create a postscript file. Please specify.

The default printer command used to send the job to the printer is "lpr".

Regards,

Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2009 4:29 AM   in reply to RishiOberoi10

Hi,

Currently we are having the same issue with the latest Acroread 9.2-1 on Ubuntu 8.04LTS.

Acroread crashes on printer settings dialog.

To reproduce:

Open a document

go to file/print

open printer preferencies, change something, press ok

it makes acroread crash without any error messages

I attached the PPD file used to print.

Printer is Xerox Workcentre 7232.

Could anybody please take a look at it?

Thank You

Daniel

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 11:57 AM   in reply to RunOutOfNamesToTry

We are having the exact same problem on the latest Reader 9.3 on Opensuse 11.1 and Cups remote printers:

Steps:

Open PDF File

Chose File-> Print

Chose Properties on the Default printer

Click "OK" in the Properties Dialog

--> CRASH without notice!

Attached please find the crashlog.

This problem persisted in 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3, no problem in the 8.x releases!

I can provide the PPD files if neccessary.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2010 12:48 AM   in reply to endzone82

Hello Michael,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are trying to reproduce the problem but haven't been able to do it yet with the steps you mentioned in your post (by launching acroread after firefox 3.1 Beta 3).

Please let us know in case you find anything else.

Sincerely,

Janice

Bucks County Real Estate

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 9:32 AM   in reply to Janice Janice

Hello,

Adobe Reader 9.3/9.3.1 crash after clicking the "OK" button of the printer properties dialog (with or without changing any option).

With ACRO_CRASHLOG=1 it only shows "segfault".

Using also a remote printer (HP C5180). Tried different cups version (1.3.x and 1.4.x) and driver version (hplip), same problem.

It's still possible to print without accessing the printer properties dialog.

Btw I have no problem when using my laptop (software setup is similar) : could it be a hardware compatibility problem ?

I'm using Gentoo Linux.

Sincerely,

Alex

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)