Skip navigation
drpepper687
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere is making decisions FOR me...

Mar 7, 2010 1:57 PM

You know, I am getting pretty damn p-ed off that (1) I cant fix this and (2) I looked online for a week now and haven't found an answer...

I have Windows 7 (64bit) and several Adobe Creative Suite programs including Premiere Pro (CS4). For the last, I dunno 10 YEARS with XP & Vista, I have never had a problem importing digital video. You plug the camera in, an auto-play menu comes up and asks me where I want to import the video to and I go to work. Never had a problem. Now I installed Windows 7, got all of my programs and files transferred over and I am ready to import some more video....

All of a sudden (1) Adobe Premiere decides to open up when I didn't ask it to and (2) I don't get the auto-play menu asking me where I want to import my video to. Um..... wtf? I have never imported videos to my computer THROUGH Premiere... I've always used to auto-play menu, it's faster, easier etc. So I go to the control panel and discover that Adobe Premiere is the designated option for importing Digital Video to my computer. I switch it to "always ask me first", aka: the auto-play menu I want, and SAVE IT as my preference. Easy fix, right? Wrong.

I plug in my camera and what do you know? F***in Adobe Premiere starts up again and the auto-play menu is nowhere in sight. I go back to the control panel and discover that, somehow, Adobe Premiere SWITCHED MY COMPUTER'S SETTINGS BACK TO WHAT ADOBE PREMIERE WANTED! Excuse me?!?!?!?!

Anyone know how to fix this?????

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2010 3:11 PM   in reply to drpepper687

first of all, no, I don't know how, other than going back and

changing your preference again. Perhaps it didn't save correctly the first time.

second, I would think you are giving too much intelligence to a software program to change something that you did. After all, that's a windows function to bring up the auto start window. Try changing it to something else and see if that sticks. Then go back and change it to ask you each time.

Third, what have you been using to capture your video with all this time? Do you even use Premiere to edit?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 3:26 PM   in reply to drpepper687

Does your camera have drivers? Were they installed, or did you just copy over some files? BTW - what camera is it?

There have also been some odd behaviors stated with peripherals and Win7-64. The 64-bit drivers are often the problem. Many are hoping that SP1 will finally update those.

Otherwise, I am at a loss to explain what you are encountering.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 8:10 PM   in reply to drpepper687

I still do not think that Premiere is changing anything. Windows is seeing your camera and because of the auto start config, it is starting Premiere. Now the question is, how to tell Windows not to start Premiere. I am not at my system right now, but I'm thinking that maybe it is a matter of admin rights to change the auto start selection. Have you tried to right click and select "run as admin"? I presume you are single user, but Windows is very particular about letting things change without admin rights. The point I'm trying to make is Premiere isn't changing anything, it is just starting because of the auto start selection. I don't know of any Premiere preferences, to change..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 9:57 PM   in reply to drpepper687

Is this some kind of File Association Issue?

What kind of files does your PC see when you connect your camera?

Surely not ".ppj"

therefore..question is why does what ever it does see..."associate" with PPRO.

Do you have some sort of file association that says "PLAY ME with PREMIERE PRO"  (eg. use PPRO to PLAY MPEGS)

So: the camera is what?

How is it connected?

What are the file types on it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 7:15 AM   in reply to shooternz

Suspect it's a windows problem not a Premiere problem. I have often tried to changemy windows file association preferences by opening, for example, a movie file for which I stupidly allowed Nero to be the default player. Now no matter how many times I tell it to auto-play using Power DVD, if I double click on a video file it still tries to play in Nero.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 7:44 AM   in reply to ECS_1

ECS,

Rather than doing this from Windows Explorer/My Computer, go to Control Panel and choose Folder Options, then File Types (note: exact syntax might differ by versions of the OS). There you can associate programs and files, and on a permanent basis. That will "stick." However, some programs really want to associate certain types of files, and will go in and make a change, every time you update them. Though it now seems much better, QuickTime Player was really bad at this. Update, and it went into the Registry and associated almost every image and AV format to it. The old RealMedia Player was the absolute worst that I have ever seen. It "hooked" about every file type. I believe that the reason for this was that it also played ads for a few minutes, before it even started up, and the user could not exit out, except through Task Manager. It would hook DOC's, WPD's, AI's, PSD's, everything. Now, it could not play most file types, except for the RM variations, and some AVI's, but would play the ads before finally yielding an error message, "RealMedia Player cannot Open this file type." That did not stop it from hooking everything. It was basically a virus in my book.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 11:05 AM   in reply to drpepper687

Hi,

i had the same issue, everytime i swithed on my vtr premier would start. if you go to control panel and autoplay.

hope this helps

baz

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 2:07 PM   in reply to drpepper687

FYI - Its a mini-DV camera connected via  Firewire cable.

No one is missing the point but it was helpful to know exactly what you were connecting.

Maybe do a google seach on mini DV camera / Win7.

start here:  http://www.codewrecks.com/blog/index.php/2009/05/24/windows-7-rc-acqui sition-from-dv-camera/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 2:08 PM   in reply to drpepper687

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to drpepper687

drpepper687 wrote:

is there a way to import video to my computer through Adobe Premiere?

Yes; In Pr,  Pres F5 to bring up the capture video panel for tape based cams.

Overall; there is no setting in Pr to "takeover" the autostart function of attaching a dv device.   Win 7 must have changed how windows handles this since all your other variables are the same.  Perhaps it is also that Pr is now the only video cap app on your PC so Win is simply defaulting to it.  You may find more help on this on a win7 forum.    Also; if you want Windows to default to a capture tool other than Pr; why not set the autodetect to the one you want?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to Curt Wrigley

Curt, you responded while I was composing.  I'll just paste it in unchanged, since the OP clearly says that he captured under Win7 before installing Premiere.

I have to admit that I believe some of you were missing his main point, but that may be a

difference of opinion about what may be wrong.  His description is that the autoplay menu

came up UNDER Win7, until he installed Premiere, and then it is no longer an autoplay

choice, but opens Premiere.  While we've all been wrong when we were certain we did

something a certain way, his belief is that this changed when he installed Premiere, not

when he installed Win7.

I'll note that this is an issue of how a device is configured, and has nothing to do with file

types/associations.  True?

Can someone using Win7 64 bit CS4 confirm that when you turn on a miniDV camera, you

get autoplay, or some action, and can you change this to/from autoplay?  (I am WinXP 32

CS3, and I admit I am useless for any real answer here.)

Dr Pepper, when you got the autoplay choice and captured (with Win7 pre-Premiere

installation), what program did you use to capture?  Can you now: attach the camera, let

Premiere load and then close it, manually open the program you used to capture, and

capture?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 3:42 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

I have win 7 and my Auto Start for Digital video is still at the default "Choose a default".   If I connect a dv device with no apps running win7 asks what i want to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 4:38 PM   in reply to drpepper687

Notice the checkbox and line of text "Always do this for this device." Did you EVER check that? If so, that will always cause Windows to bypass this screen and go with whatever was set as the default.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to drpepper687

I am still picking that 'Windows Live' is going to feature in the problem and the solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 6:59 PM   in reply to shooternz

I think you're right, but without Win7, I have no idea.

Dr. Pepper, I do suggest you look further at the windows live stuff.   first, the video import is not part of win7.  Second, you have to add somethign to do it.  I do wonder if you are mistaken about having imported video in win7, but that's just my speculation since there is currently no explanation that accounts for you problem.

A test of part of this is to see if you have the windows video import program installed.  See Craig's link above regarding installing the window's live photogallery and movie maker, which says this:

"Then you must open photo gallery (I know that you want to import a video, but in windows 7 the DV acquisition module is in photo gallery), goes to the file menu and then, import from a camera or scanner."

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 4:03 PM   in reply to drpepper687
    I am still picking that 'Windows Live' is going to feature in the problem and the solution.

...and we have a WINNER!

where do I collect my prize?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 4:06 PM   in reply to drpepper687

Wow, what a crooked path you had to roam! I've heard really, really negative things about WMM Live. WMM used to be mentioned in the PrE forum as a "conversion" program, and also a capture program, with things did not work in PrE. Lately, those recommendations always have "DO NOT USE WMM LIVE!" postpended to them.

Thank you for reporting, as it will likely help others in the future.

Good luck with that Sirius icon.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 6:43 PM   in reply to shooternz

Please report to the lounge for your ice cold Rolling Rock!  (You put me up, I'll deliver it in person.)

Dr Pepper, I have one for you too, for reporting back and giving us all closure on this one!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 7:26 PM   in reply to drpepper687

Thanks for providing that info.

Since he only claimed it would "feature in" the problem and solution, we'll still have to declare him a winner.

BTW, there are free yoodles in the lounge.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points