Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best Laptop For Premiere Pro Editing?

Mar 7, 2010 10:28 PM

I've used my Sony Vaio for over 4 years, it's getting a little long in the tooth.  Does anyone have a preference or aversion to certain brands of laptops?  At this particular moment, I'm leaning towards a Dell...primarily because it allows for a second hard drive and has plenty of horsepower.   A second HD apparently is no longert an option with Sony.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2010 12:35 AM   in reply to DesignCBTs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 5:45 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff that ASUS really looks fine.  Now if they only offered a CUDA graphics solution for CS5.

P.S. I finally found one of your Encore books--slightly used but a welcome addition.  I have a complex indexing problem that I am going to look into one of these days.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 10:29 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

That ASUS was halfway on to my credit card before I decided that I didn't want to lug around a 17", double-digit pound-weight notebook computer any more.  I've done that for the last 6 years and I've had enough.

The CUDA stuff isn't on my radar for a notebook.  Considering that Adobe has only mentioned support for 4 desktop cards so far, I'm not going to get myself all worked up over the possibility that they might get around to certifying a notebook card or chipset.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 12:33 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff have you any thoughs on the toshiba P500-01G

Intel i7 720QM

win 7 home premium (32bit)

18.4" widescreen HD

4GB DDR3 1066MHZ expandable to 8GB

1000GB (500GB+500GB) 5400 rpm SATA

NVIDIA GT 330M 1GB discrete memory

blue-ray RW/DVD drive

harman/kardon speakers

I am in the market too for a laptop that can do video editing with pre8 may be mid this year I'll invest on one i know that by then they may have something bigger and better as always.I would like your opinion on this laptop why? did you asked well i like toshiba laptop.Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 1:10 AM   in reply to v1a3h52rhl

You may be in the minority. The only other Toshiba fans I know are in the service repair business and they thrive on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 8:26 AM   in reply to v1a3h52rhl

18.4"??  Will it have its own suitcase when you travel?

I don't have any personal experience with Toshiba other than my mother-in-law's basic laptop.  Tosh seems to want to load up their computers with a ton of unnecessary software.  I hate that.  But the laptop itself has worked just fine since last summer.

At a minimum I think you'll want 2 GB of RAM per physical core, so 8GB would be a good choice.

Go with Windows 7 Professional unless you think you'll need the bitlocker feature of Ultimate.  Home Premium is a little weak for editors.

Your 2 hard drives should be 7200 RPM; you may be able to get away with a 5400 RPM drive for the OS and Programs drive.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 9:06 AM   in reply to DesignCBTs

>solid state OS drive and at least one 7200 RPM hard disk

I edit SD video (slowly) with a P4 desktop with two 7200 rpm drives... 80Gig boot and 100 or 120 data (drive swap setup)

If you are going to edit HD video, I'm not sure if a single 7200 rpm data drive will work very well, since raid is better

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 10:19 AM   in reply to DesignCBTs

Well we have a new posting of a really decent PPBM4 score.for a Laptop computer.  The i7-720QM processor and dual 500 GB drives in this HP DV8T laptop are quite good.  Even better results should be attained with its big brother the i7-820QM and if you have real deep pockets the ASUS laptop has a i7-920XM for only $1105 more than the i7-720QM model.  Thanks to Larry for providing his HP results.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 10:40 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

To follow up a bit on the thread that Harm links to - my Sager has been a great performer. It's now getting long in the tooth, and only has a Core2-Quad processor, 4GB RAM and the nVidia GeForce 8800m GTX-512, with 3x 200GB 7200RPM SATA II HDD's, so much more power is probably available from them now. This machine is in use most days, out on the patio, and even in Arizona heat. It has been an excellent performer, and I would definitely look to them, when replacement time comes. I am a very satisfied users.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 4:25 PM   in reply to DesignCBTs

Never - just so long as one has a keyboard cover!

Probably a month after I got my Sager, they went to 3x 250GB SATA II's, and the overall price fell by about US$50. Oh well.

Going back some years, there was an ad featuring a young man, who had just bought the ultimate computer. It was something like the "8E." He was shown lovingly placing it into the passenger seat of his sports car and petting the box, as he drove home. At the traffic signals, he'd swoon over his new computer. At about the third traffic signal, he looked up to see a giant billboard announcing the release of the "9G!" Poor fellow never even got it home, before it had been replaced. It happens to all of us.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to DesignCBTs

Yes, I understand that technology thing. I had not gotten my Sager set up yet, and they were already offering it with 300GB HDD's. I see that it's up to 500GB now! Oh well, that is progress. Also, I noticed that a fully tricked-out unit is now about US$400 less, than what I paid, and there are tons of improvements - faster, bigger and cheaper... Still, my unit has served me very well in some pretty extreme conditions, so I have no room to complain.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 11:39 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

I agree with you, I also like ASUS laptop

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 11:14 AM   in reply to DesignCBTs

Premiere pro is not opening on my Sony Vaio (laptop) I can't figure it out. 1.5 was working then it asked for administrator priveleges. Now nstalled 2.0 and at the stage if initializin, it disappears. What can I do to solve this problem?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points